The NFL means 'not for long' | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The NFL means 'not for long'

Feverdream

Club Member
Reaction score
I think one of the main tenets of smart team building is that great GMs target, not just poor players, but his average (veteran) players for replacement as well, and that he does it early... maybe a year in advance. One of the slogans from New England was always, 'let a player go one year too early, rather than one year too late'.

So... If you're with me so far, let's take a look at the players who I do not believe are yet targets.

On the offensive side of the ball: We have a young QB, three young linemen, a young TE, and maybe 2-3 keeper WRs on the offensive side who are not yet targets. (Tua, Jackson, Kindley, Hunt, Gesicki, DVP, Bowden and Williams)

And on the defensive side, we have 3 Defensive Linemen, one Edge, one Safety, and 3-4 CBs who look like long term keepers. (Wilkins, Davis, Seiler, Ogbah, Jones, Jones, Howard, Iggy, and Needham).

(oh, and a kicker and long snapper)

The above players are our core, and anyone else on the roster is fair game to be targeted, and that's where over half of our FH arguments occur. Which positions do we target, and when/how? These debates are valid ones and I generally enjoy having them. There are different ways to skin that cat, and anyone who stubbornly tells you that their way is the only way... well, they probably rode the short bus to school.

Yes, we need new weapons for our offense, but weapons won't do us any good if our QB is getting killed or if our defense is giving up major yards and points, so our best bet at winning is to develop a total team... something Flores has preached since day one. Every position on the roster has to be up for grabs, but more especially... all of the positions not held by young guys or plus veterans on long-term contracts.

...and this is why my eyes roll back in my head when posters use the word 'need'. I always hear it in a nine year old girls voice... Daddy, I neeeeeed that dress.

"Sure you do, honey."

So, when someone tells me, "yeah, that guy is good, but we neeeeeeeed this guy, I have to laugh.

Then use the word “fit”. The biggest problem last year was that we have a QB and an offense that thrives on quick passes yet we lacked any targets that could get quick separation. So the best fit in the draft happens to be a WR that is elite at separating quickly. And that guy also has demonstrated chemistry with our QB and seems to have the exact personality to fit with the culture our HC wants.

I think he was talking about himself. If I remember correctly, his next sentence was "I'll be packing groceries."

Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox
That is correct.

Glanville was saying he would be fired as HC if he kept getting bad calls against him, not that the Ref would be fired.

Then use the word “fit”. The biggest problem last year was that we have a QB and an offense that thrives on quick passes yet we lacked any targets that could get quick separation. So the best fit in the draft happens to be a WR that is elite at separating quickly. And that guy also has demonstrated chemistry with our QB and seems to have the exact personality to fit with the culture our HC wants.
I dont think our offense thrives in small passes, that was by design to whoever was the QB. You barely hear of Parker when the Dolphins were just throwing bubbles, screens, or short slants. Hell you barely heard of Giseki at times or Parker when Tua was the QB.

I think we all can agree that drafting for need has destroyed Miami over the last 20 years or so.

Sometimes need fits BPA, but reaching for lesser talent is a quick way to start over every five years. The Dolphins have been on that path for far too long.

The question I have, and I think it relates to the OP's topic, are you better off with an elite player or two good players in today's game?

Prior to the salary cap, teams could stockpile talent. It's unbelievable how much talent the best teams of all-time had. Look at the rosters of the 70's Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders. The 80's and 90's 49ers, Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys.

Now, maybe a team can fit in 3-5 elite type players, instead of 8-12.

Building in the salary cap Era means you have to make a lot of tough choices. I feel like only a handful of teams get it, maybe finally Miami.

What's so tough is even the worst teams lose talent and those are the teams more likely to fall into the trap of overspending in free agency.

I think we all can agree that drafting for need has destroyed Miami over the last 20 years or so.

Sometimes need fits BPA, but reaching for lesser talent is a quick way to start over every five years. The Dolphins have been on that path for far too long.

The question I have, and I think it relates to the OP's topic, are you better off with an elite player or two good players in today's game?

Prior to the salary cap, teams could stockpile talent. It's unbelievable how much talent the best teams of all-time had. Look at the rosters of the 70's Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders. The 80's and 90's 49ers, Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys.

Now, maybe a team can fit in 3-5 elite type players, instead of 8-12.

Building in the salary cap Era means you have to make a lot of tough choices. I feel like only a handful of teams get it, maybe finally Miami.

What's so tough is even the worst teams lose talent and those are the teams more likely to fall into the trap of overspending in free agency.
This is exactly right.

Today's game is not defined by the new passing rules, end-zone dances, or anything else; it is defined by the salary cap, and sometimes that salary cap says, 'no'.

"No, you can not have more than a couple of elite players. No, you can not sign every free agent that you want. No, you can backload four more contracts so you can sign one more free agent."

You have to be smart about these things, pick your spots... spend your money AND your draft capital wisely, and that brings us back to that #3 pick that we lucked into. That pick is some mega-capital. That one pick might give us three, even four young starters if we play our hand correctly. Spending that #3 on a shiny new offensive toy because we neeeeeeed him, when there are maybe 15 draft worthy WRs in this draft is well... stupid. Likewise spending it on that mega-Tackle if you can possibly trade out of that spot is equally... stupid.

...and we can make a trade, and unless we are the dumbest front office on the planet, we will.

This is exactly right.

Today's game is not defined by the new passing rules, end-zone dances, or anything else; it is defined by the salary cap, and sometimes that salary cap says, 'no'.

"No, you can not have more than a couple of elite players. No, you can not sign every free agent that you want. No, you can backload four more contracts so you can sign one more free agent."

You have to be smart about these things, pick your spots... spend your money AND your draft capital wisely, and that brings us back to that #3 pick that we lucked into. That pick is some mega-capital. That one pick might give us three, even four young starters if we play our hand correctly. Spending that #3 on a shiny new offensive toy because we neeeeeeed him, when there are maybe 15 draft worthy WRs in this draft is well... stupid. Likewise spending it on that mega-Tackle if you can possibly trade out of that spot is equally... stupid.

...and we can make a trade, and unless we are the dumbest front office on the planet, we will.
Agree. Miami lucked into an awesome spot with that #3.

The value of that pick is trading down and there should be at least a few trade partners.

Until the defense adjusts and starts jumping the quick timing routes....

One more point. Besides having Tom Brady playing at a high level for nearly two decades, the Patriots survived/handled injuries better than other teams.

I think drafting versatile players has been a big reason why. Under Flores, we are seeing Miami take a similar approach, bringing in players who can play multiple positions.

Hopefully this pays off for the Dolphins.

This is exactly right.

The pick holds more value for teams who want a QB, particularly in a strong class like 2021. To SF, the pick is easily worth multiple 1st's (assuming they don't get Watson). To Miami, assuming they don't want a QB, the pick is worth whatever positional player will move the needle the most for your team. In a class that's strong at premium positions that are also positions of need, the gap between 1 and 5 may be small - a matter of preference.

If it wasn't a great QB class, it'd be very difficult to demand enough to make the trade down from 3 worthwhile.

The pick holds more value for teams who want a QB, particularly in a strong class like 2021. To SF, the pick is easily worth multiple 1st's (assuming they don't get Watson). To Miami, assuming they don't want a QB, the pick is worth whatever positional player will move the needle the most for your team. In a class that's strong at premium positions that are also positions of need, the gap between 1 and 5 may be small - a matter of preference.

If it wasn't a great QB class, it'd be very difficult to demand enough to make the trade down from 3 worthwhile.
It's CERTAINLY worth more in a year where QBs are such a hot commodity... which is more often than not, but it is not every single year for sure.
It took a unique collection of circumstances to bring us to this point, and in the long run, it'll be fun to list all of the players we'll score from trading one slightly overrated Tackle.

Back
Top Bottom