The NFL passer rating | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The NFL passer rating

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
With news filtering out at a slow pace about the Dolphins I decided to read another article at the Pro Football Researchers Association site.

This article explains the when and where of the origination of the passer rating and how it "morphed" into what it is today. It's a good read and makes a good debate for how passers like Otto Graham could compare fairly to the passers of Montana and Marino.

It's a longer article but I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

http://www.footballresearch.com/articles/frpage.cfm?topic=bucking

thanks

I would add one (but really two things) into the QBR if it were possible.

1) completions for 1st down - the QB's job is to direct the team downfield. Keeping the drive alive is key for that.
2) Same but specifically on 3rd down. We get to see how a QB gets the job done when he has to.

I would make sure not to leave TDs out of these equations, but count them as equivalent to 1st down passes since "keeping the drive alive" is ultimately (though not exclusively) for the purpose of scoring.

D

PS I am new here. I've been around some other sites.

I think we would all rather see us play... but it isn't even preseason yet...

Stats are a poor substitute but what else do we have now? I do admit that I don't like the QBR stat so much. But I do think other stats are telling.
D
- Oh, dropped balls should be factored in too.

Agreed

Until last year I also thought that was one of his strengths.
It was one of the reasons why I didn't think it was obvious to start Griese. Now... well I still don't think we should start Griese :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom