The O-line Play Against The Falcons | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The O-line Play Against The Falcons

I liked that Deiter looked angry on the sidelines. That mean streak is going to be needed this year.

Very average interior o line athletically maybe below average even. A starting right tackle that doesn’t have natural tackle feet or foot speed who is likely gonna struggle in space vs speed off the edge.

And zero depth at tackle. Promote prince to 2nd team right tackle reps. He has natural tackle feet and might be solid in the run game. If it’s not him it’s not here.

1st preseason game of the year....hard to come to any solid conclusions. It's hard to get all bent out of shape as some always seem to do. The 1st half of the 3rd preseason game is all I really take any stock in.

I just finished watching the replay of the game on NFLN. The oline wasn't as bad as I originally thought. Especially in the 1st quarter. Outside of a couple of plays they were ok. It was the 2nd quarter were the play seemed really bad. As I rewatched I saw 5 bad plays from the OLine during the 2nd quarter. I'm not trying to say they are better. But it doesn't appear to be as bad as I originally saw. Reed was a major issue at center. Holden and Mills had some issues but again after further review they could have been better. Holden played much better when they moved him to LT in the 3rd quarter. Dunn was playing LG along side Holden at LT. I thought both Dunn and Prince were the best of that unit.

It’s bad fitz ran out of some immediate pressure so did rosen.

Fitz can save o line play at times so that helps. Rosen will get sacked at times when a guy comes free that you’d like to see him make miss.

Both better than tanny though at it.

I just finished watching the replay of the game on NFLN. The oline wasn't as bad as I originally thought. Especially in the 1st quarter. Outside of a couple of plays they were ok. It was the 2nd quarter were the play seemed really bad. As I rewatched I saw 5 bad plays from the OLine during the 2nd quarter. I'm not trying to say they are better. But it doesn't appear to be as bad as I originally saw. Reed was a major issue at center. Holden and Mills had some issues but again after further review they could have been better. Holden played much better when they moved him to LT in the 3rd quarter. Dunn was playing LG along side Holden at LT. I thought both Dunn and Prince were the best of that unit.

First, I didn't watch the game and highlights of only 5-7 plays so I'm not speaking (typing) specifically about the game.
I keep reading about Rosen's bad pass and specific fails by OLmen. After 80 years of watching NFL, I know every player has a handful of bad plays every game. That's being human. Every QB makes 'what was he thinking' throws or throws behind/over his receiver. Yeah, try to correct that, but 2-3 bad plays? OLmen missing a block or allowing a pressure? A DB missing a tackle? Yeah, OK. Obviously, that 'handful' of bad plays can become too frequent or lack of talent, but A (singular) bad play? Let it go.

with that (too) long preface, I see mixed assessments of each of the OLmen. If there is a statistical summary (e.g., pass block 12 times and allowed 14 pressures), point me to it. 'He played horribly' or 'He did well for his first game' tells me nothing

The tackle situation is scary. Pray for serviceable from tbe right tackle pass pro wise.

I’m tellin ya this o line coach deserves a medal if this works out.

Pray for health with the 1s. I can maybe get by with a interior injury I don’t think I can at tackle.

Might be a lot of short sets in our future

First, I didn't watch the game and highlights of only 5-7 plays so I'm not speaking (typing) specifically about the game.
I keep reading about Rosen's bad pass and specific fails by OLmen. After 80 years of watching NFL, I know every player has a handful of bad plays every game. That's being human. Every QB makes 'what was he thinking' throws or throws behind/over his receiver. Yeah, try to correct that, but 2-3 bad plays? OLmen missing a block or allowing a pressure? A DB missing a tackle? Yeah, OK. Obviously, that 'handful' of bad plays can become too frequent or lack of talent, but A (singular) bad play? Let it go.

with that (too) long preface, I see mixed assessments of each of the OLmen. If there is a statistical summary (e.g., pass block 12 times and allowed 14 pressures), point me to it. 'He played horribly' or 'He did well for his first game' tells me nothing
I'm not saying this OLine is going to be good. But in all fairness, Mills and Reed were playing out of position, trying to learn new positions. Thank god this was a preseason game. The 1st unit should be better with Tunsil at LT. I like how the interior can move people in the run game. That surprised me to be honest. Those backup players in the 2nd quarter were bad. And the 5 plays I eluded to just might be the difference between a healthy and injured QB and a win or lose.

I was very impressed with Isaiah Prince who I totally endorsed right here a month ago. I was also impressed with Michael Dunn at LG. I urge you all to look at the game again and see how well these two guys played. I like Jessie Davis at RT. But if they are going to put the best 5 linemen out there, then Davis should play at RG and allow Prince to move in at RT. Dunn would backup Dieter at LG and Calhoun would backup Davis. The backup Center is NOT in this roster right now.

It appears that right now the line should be....

LT Tunsil
LG Dieter
C Kilgore
RG Reed
RT Davis

...and then what happens when injuries strike?

Kilgore goes down and they probably shift Reed to Center and either Calhoun comes in at RG or they really have to shuffle with Mills coming in at RT, Davis to RG.

I still have a feeling that one or two OL'men will be picked up after cuts which may help with the inevitable shuffle.

Does anyone know the status of Zach Sterup? He did not have a snap in the game.

Mills is a question mark but here's a guys who has started 48 straight games at RT for the Buffalo Bills. You can't be a slouch and accomplish that. It's freaking cold up there. When the games count he will be at least average, if he starts.

Mills is a question mark but here's a guys who has started 48 straight games at RT for the Buffalo Bills. You can't be a slouch and accomplish that. It's freaking cold up there. When the games count he will be at least average, if he starts.

Thing with Mills is he was thrown in at LT. Is Tunsil hurt? I feel like he doesn't even practice, I never hear about him and feel like somebody else is always playing LT.

I'm sorry but this is just blind homerism. The dude was bad in camp, looked bad in live action. He's not going to suddenly become really good. I'd LOVE to eat crow on this, but I dont think very highly of him right now. Up to him to prove us wrng

Even in this one you can see that starting right tackle struggle like heck to get a hand on speed off the edge.

Bad omen

He’s gonna have to cheat which is gonna open up the door to the most direct route inside

I would like to see Sterup get some play time. I can see him and Prince sticking to 53. Although Jones-Smith has been getting increased looks with 2nd unit. He could slip onto the 53 depending on Sterup's health. I believe Fuller, Reed, and Calhoun will all make squad, but only 1 will start. Dunn could be dark horse to make team. He's been aggressive enough to garnish additional looks

Back
Top Bottom