The o-line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The o-line

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
As many have stated the o-line didn't look very good yesterday, but I don't think this is a sign of what is to come. If you noticed Tenn's o-line looked like swiss cheese as well. I think the lack luster play on the o-line was due to the 3/4 prohibitive speed they were playing with. As the lack of running plays dictates it seemed our main goal was staying healthy on the o-line, not pancake blocking. Basicly I will hold any critisism for this group untill we get Detroit, and Dave lets them get mean.

Originally posted by Dajesus
As many have stated the o-line didn't look very good yesterday, but I don't think this is a sign of what is to come. If you noticed Tenn's o-line looked like swiss cheese as well. I think the lack luster play on the o-line was due to the 3/4 prohibitive speed they were playing with. As the lack of running plays dictates it seemed our main goal was staying healthy on the o-line, not pancake blocking. Basicly I will hold any critisism for this group untill we get Detroit, and Dave lets them get mean.

I hope you're right... I didn't like the way "The Freak" blew by Smith like he wasn't even there... that scared me. Granted... he is "The Freak"... and I realize they were told to "take it easy"... but Smith just made it WAY to easy for him to get by him...

I disagree. The Tennessee OL only looked like swiss cheese when they replaced a few select veterans with guys that are competing, and when the Dolphins started throwing in our 2 minute drill passrush packages. During the first series they held up well, while our own OL (mainly Brent Smith) were pulling matador maneuvers.

All I have to say is pull the trigger, move Mark Dixon NOW. He can always move back if Brent Smith or Marcus Spriggs start getting red hot.

Our o line did pretty well in my perspective...... i hardly saw anyone in the backfield that wasnt a phin after the first drill, and except for smith, i was impressed with everyone. @ least we didnt get sacked 4 times..... lol

I just can't agree. Dixon hasn't looked very good at guard since Richmond left, so why do we all think he would be a great LT? The 1 play that Smith really got burnt on wasn't his fault. Kearse lined up out side of the TE(Weaver); thus; making it an impossible angle for Smith to get over unless Jed bumped him. Instead Jed ignored "The Freak" and went right in to his pattern. I am telling you I doubt any T in the league would have made that block more so in a scrimage. Weaver was to blame not Smith! Right now it seems our o-line is just trying to get in the right postion, and get their scheme right.

Dixon kind of agrees with Dajesus about his play..but he's getting better. This was after yesterday's scrimmage

GUARD MARK DIXON
(On if he sees the offensive line improving this year) – “Without a doubt. The depth is so much more than we’ve ever had. I think Ricky (Williams) has brought a little something to the guys up front. He’s so talented and sets up his blocks so well. I think the other thing is (Offensive Coordinator) Norv (Turner). Norv doesn’t have a script or anything. He just comes out there and wants to have success every play. That’s why he doesn’t bring a script. He calls a play that he thinks will work. That’s been a big difference.â€Â

(On if guys are individually getting better) – “I know I have. I was terrible for a while. I was really concerned. Yesterday was really the first day I started feeling like my old self. I certainly feel better. Iââ¬â„¢m not where I need to be, but I’m starting to play better.â€Â

Dixon always thinks he is terrible. After reviewing the scrimmage again, I have to agree with Dajesus about Kearse lining up way outside. If that had been a running play to the left, Ricky would of broke off a big run.

It's a gamble on Jevon's part.

except for a person getting experience touching the ball with another team on the field, its nothing but training camp! hard to get any evaluation. a player might be setting up his opponent for a future game, ya never know!

I agree with 06...........

Originally posted by dolfan06
except for a person getting experience touching the ball with another team on the field, its nothing but training camp! hard to get any evaluation. a player might be setting up his opponent for a future game, ya never know!

It's really difficult to make any judgements during training camp. It's the last two preseason games or so when you can make a fairly good judgement about someone's play/performance, not in the early scrimmages.

I agree dajesus, i will reserve judgement. but as for smith, i dont feel confident for the long haul. if he is a second stringer i would be more comfertable till he gets himself in order. i think spriggs can handle himself well. I will say that Jamie Nails is impressive. his guy didnt even budge him. nails should be starting but i also feel that Perry has looked great from what i have seen and i think perry got teh brunt of some bad reputation last year for the play of the entire line last year when everything wass due to injuries IMO. right now i feel this should be our line starting in detroit. of course this is subject to change.

Spriggs- Dixon-Ruddy-Perry-Wade
Smith-Nails-mckinney-Searcy-Cesario(cornell green?)
I think our bases would be covered for sure in case of serious injury. i would not bat an eyelash to put NaIls in if dixon gets hurt. what an insurance policy.

I just can't agree. Dixon hasn't looked very good at guard since Richmond left, so why do we all think he would be a great LT? The 1 play that Smith really got burnt on wasn't his fault. Kearse lined up out side of the TE(Weaver); thus; making it an impossible angle for Smith to get over unless Jed bumped him. Instead Jed ignored "The Freak" and went right in to his pattern. I am telling you I doubt any T in the league would have made that block more so in a scrimage. Weaver was to blame not Smith! Right now it seems our o-line is just trying to get in the right postion, and get their scheme right.

i disagree. it is his responsability wether weaver is there or not. teh play before he did the same thing and was in there fast, so he should have been ready. he knew it was coming. it was a pass play. look im willing to give smith more looks in tampa but after that if he doesnt look good, spriggs gets the nod in my book.

I have never been a Brent Smith as a starter fan. The guy has had his chances to win the job in the past, and has not been able to do so.

But knowing Wanny, and his reluctentness to have controversy, and change starters, he will most likely keep the status quo, unless someone is just really stinking out the joint, on a week by week basis.

I would really like to see if Jamie Nails could play handle the starters role. Believe it or not, Todd Perry has been looking very good thus far. Gee, nothing like a little competition for your job to make you step your game up!

Smith has had his chances to win the job and hasn't??? Heck he got hurt. As far as Kearse running by Smith hell the LT loves it when the DE does that. Kearse looked pretty stupid out there in fact. Yeah he blew by Smith on the sack but hell all the LT has to do is take the angle. Kearse rarely if at all tried to mix it up. Let the QB step up, Dan made a career of it. In a real game the fIns would have been running inside of Kearse all game. Smith played for Webb 2 years ago the openiong game against Seatle and did a real good job in helping Lamar run for 124 yards.

bottom line is that we are likely back to having a mediocre LT at best for 2002. If the OGs pick it up and Ruddy is healthy and back to his old form the OL and RW will be happy without a great LT. There are no good answers in camp and everyday I am less inclined to move Dixon over. Dixon - the eternal pessimist - feels has sounded like he thinks he would get cut if moved to LT since he would not be one of the top OTs.

The best way to look at this is - are any of the candidates better than Spencer Folau ?

Back
Top Bottom