The Obligatory 3-4 Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Obligatory 3-4 Thread

3P

I believe I can fly!
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed ad naseum in the main forum, but I thought it would be interesting to discuss in a more controlled environment. I'm curious about who in on our current roster could fill what needs on a 3-4 defense. Not to say that we are going to switch to a 3-4, or that we should... simply to educate myself a bit more on the personel requirements of that system.

In this article (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/01/01/a1f_fins_0101.html)

there is mention of JT switching to a pass rushing OLB... and I must admit that I was always excited when he lined up as LB in our tiger formation. Anyone here care to comment on how they think JT would fare as a OLB?

We may have the personnel to go 3-4. Unless I'm mistaken, Bryan Robinson has played a fair amount of 3-4, and looks like about the right size for an end in that sort of scheme. Larry Chester, assuming he's healthy, should be just fine as the NT. Timbo might work well rotating in and out with him. Taylor would be asked to do some pass coverage, which he's probably capable of doing since he's an excellent athlete and is pretty disciplined, but it would be an adjustment.

On the downside, I think David Bowens is too small; he might be moved to backup LB. Jay Williams was a 3-4 end at one point, but he's probably getting cut, so it doesn't matter. And Zach's fit as a 3-4 ILB would be questionable.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of moving Taylor. The Tiger formation is one thing, that essentially allows him to chose the spot he's rushing from.

As an outside linebacker, he'd have other responsibilities. And while I think he's a great athlete and can probably handle it, why would you move arguably the best DE in the league to a new position? Even if he's as good, I think I'd rather have the top DE than the top OLB...

As a gimmick or stunt occaisionally, fine, but otherwise I wouldn't mess with success.

The LB position of a 3-4 is where I lack knowledge on responsibilities... anyone care to elaborate on the changes involved at that position?

I'm still trying to decide whether I like the idea or not :D

Good read.

That was my general understanding of the LB's responsibility in the 3-4 regarding run stopping.

I suppose my biggest question would be obvious passing downs. 3rd and 8..9.. you get the picture. Would a team switch to a nickle/dime, or do the OLB's essentially become the extra DBs?

In the later case, what would is your opinion on JT's ability in pass coverage?

phinphanphrommi said:
Good read.

That was my general understanding of the LB's responsibility in the 3-4 regarding run stopping.

I suppose my biggest question would be obvious passing downs. 3rd and 8..9.. you get the picture. Would a team switch to a nickle/dime, or do the OLB's essentially become the extra DBs?

In the later case, what would is your opinion on JT's ability in pass coverage?

On 3rd and long, you'll see an LB go out in favor of a nickel back. Or 2 LBs in favor of a nickel and dime. They're not going to rely on the LBs to function in pass coverage that way.

I doubt that Taylor would have many pass coverage responsibilities in any case. In a 3-4, at least one OLB is almost always rushing the passer. That would be Taylor for us.

phunwin said:
On 3rd and long, you'll see an LB go out in favor of a nickel back. Or 2 LBs in favor of a nickel and dime. They're not going to rely on the LBs to function in pass coverage that way.

I doubt that Taylor would have many pass coverage responsibilities in any case. In a 3-4, at least one OLB is almost always rushing the passer. That would be Taylor for us.

Thanks Phil. That makes the most sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom