The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread | Page 49 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread

Important News Break!!!!

Mets | Nady undergoes appendectomy
Tue, 30 May 2006 11:32:31 -0700
The Sports Network reports New York Mets OF Xavier Nady (appendix) was placed on the 15-day disabled list after he underwent an emergency appendectomy. Players usually need four to six weeks to recover from the operation.

Mets | Milledge comes up
Tue, 30 May 2006 11:32:45 -0700
The Sports Network reports the New York Mets called up top prospect OF Lastings Milledge from Triple-A Norfolk. He was hitting .291 with four homers, 19 RBI and eight steals in 46 games.

Time to see what Milledge can do in the big show...

Milledge did pretty well. I don't know if it was just tonight, but he didn't go opposite field at all. Hopefully that's not normal for him. That's probably my favorite thing about how Wright hits; he goes all fields so well... kind of reminds me of Piazza in that regard. Soler had a rough night. With Bannister being out at least another month, we need Soler to be competitive.

mixmaster_matt said:
Yep, they must be the luckiest team ever, b/c they just keep on doing it:rolleyes:. don't be upset that they are up 5 games on your team.

My team is the Phils...just be happy your Stankies don't get to play them.

mixmaster_matt said:
Yeah, big Mets fan here. I think I am going to be at one of the Mets games this weekend, against the Giants. Just wondering which promotion I want. Friday is free Pedro t-shirt, saturday is Free Hat, and sunday is Free Negro League commemerative(sp) day. I think I will be there for Friday and Saturdays game.
Cool. I went to opening day vs wash, the friday night game vs nyy where wright had the gw hit off Mo and one of the games vs atl. Ill probably end up at 10-15 more before the season ends.

Roman529 said:
Another lucky 9th inning comeback.
better to be lucky then good. Plus it shows the never say die attitude thats reflective of this team. Thats what happens when you find your Jeter

finswin56 said:
Milledge did pretty well. I don't know if it was just tonight, but he didn't go opposite field at all. Hopefully that's not normal for him. That's probably my favorite thing about how Wright hits; he goes all fields so well... kind of reminds me of Piazza in that regard. Soler had a rough night. With Bannister being out at least another month, we need Soler to be competitive.
he did ok. i saw 3/4 AB's. From what I derived he still needs to work on taking pitches but hes not the free swinger he once was in the minors. Hitting in the 8 hole he should be able to take some pitches and work on that. Hes got 4-6 weeks to show he belongs cause thats how long an apendectomy usually takes to heel. He has no pressure from any other minor leaguers cause diaz is playing like --- with his 608 ops in aaa. Supposedly hes looked disinterested and lazy. Anyway if Milledge really impresses he has a chance to stick imo.

Boik14 said:
he did ok. i saw 3/4 AB's. From what I derived he still needs to work on taking pitches but hes not the free swinger he once was in the minors. Hitting in the 8 hole he should be able to take some pitches and work on that. Hes got 4-6 weeks to show he belongs cause thats how long an apendectomy usually takes to heel. He has no pressure from any other minor leaguers cause diaz is playing like --- with his 608 ops in aaa. Supposedly hes looked disinterested and lazy. Anyway if Milledge really impresses he has a chance to stick imo.

Daily News is saying 2 weeks.

That upsets me about Diaz. I've been afraid for awhile that Nady would tail off, and that's exactly what he's done. I was hoping that once that happened, Diaz might be able to claim the job. However, maybe Lastings will be up for good. They've been sitting Cliff Floyd against tough lefties. If they use Milledge as his RH platoonmate, and give him some time at RF as well, there may be a spot for him. God knows, we can't seriously expect Endy Chavez to continue posting a 747 OPS as the 4th OF.

In fact, if Milledge is here to stay, they might be better served starting him in RF regularly, and giving him those regular at bats, and using Nady as the 4th OF; he can play all three OF positions, but if Beltran needed a day off, they'd likely play Milledge there and put Nady in RF. He could also see time at 1B when Delgado sits against tough lefties.

phunwin said:
Daily News is saying 2 weeks.

That upsets me about Diaz. I've been afraid for awhile that Nady would tail off, and that's exactly what he's done. I was hoping that once that happened, Diaz might be able to claim the job. However, maybe Lastings will be up for good. They've been sitting Cliff Floyd against tough lefties. If they use Milledge as his RH platoonmate, and give him some time at RF as well, there may be a spot for him. God knows, we can't seriously expect Endy Chavez to continue posting a 747 OPS as the 4th OF.

In fact, if Milledge is here to stay, they might be better served starting him in RF regularly, and giving him those regular at bats, and using Nady as the 4th OF; he can play all three OF positions, but if Beltran needed a day off, they'd likely play Milledge there and put Nady in RF. He could also see time at 1B when Delgado sits against tough lefties.
yeah i saw that this morning and i was surprised. Apendectamy + getting drilled there 2 nights ago i figured it would be the more typical 4-6.

Regarding Milledge, if he impesses i think he could take the job from Nady but more then likely this a quick cup of coffee for now. You never call up an elite prospect to sit him so making him a 4th OF isnt really an option. If he impresses and we're sold on him i think nady could get dealt for a 2b or sp. Thats a m ore likely scenario imo. But thats a decision only Omar can make

By the way if anyone cares to read it theres an awful piece on milledge in the daily news today. Basically it kind of throws him under the bus regarding his "past"...the only thing he did wrong was sleep with a sophmore when he was a senior in HS....as if none of us have ever done that. Its not even worth posting the article. It was that bad.

Boik14 said:
By the way if anyone cares to read it theres an awful piece on milledge in the daily news today. Basically it kind of throws him under the bus regarding his "past"...the only thing he did wrong was sleep with a sophmore when he was a senior in HS....as if none of us have ever done that. Its not even worth posting the article. It was that bad.
wtf are you serious? But there has to be a reason it was brought up. Thousands of people do that every day and it's not even a big deal.

Rocky Raccoon said:
wtf are you serious? But there has to be a reason it was brought up. Thousands of people do that every day and it's not even a big deal.
The only reason it gets brought up is cause some scouts feel he is "****y" and "arrogant" on the field. When I saw his press conference last night before and after the game though he sounded like a kid who just got his 1st bicycle, all wide eyed and happy to be here. Whether he plays arrogant...something I dont get how you can really determine unless he sits and admires hr's which Ive never seen him do...id like to see where people draw that conclusion about him. It sounds to me like a lot of scouts are blindsiding him and trying to drag him down because they see they f'd up letting a guy who clearly had top 3 talent drop to 12th

Boik14 said:

Didn't Milledge get into some big trouble for that or was it something else? Wasn't that a big reason why he wasn't taken sooner in the draft?

Back
Top Bottom