The Official Miami Heat March to the Lottery Thread. | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Miami Heat March to the Lottery Thread.

Keeping in mind the fact I may be completely wrong, here are the basic numbers:

Total payroll for '08 as of now: $57,191,323

Assuming Parker opts out, Wright is not tendered, and the team option on Johnson is not picked up: $51,6787,81

The salary cap next year will be between 58-60 mil depending on revenue. That means a max contract for a player of Brand's tenure will be starting at 17-18 mil. So trading UD would not free up enough space to give a max deal to him, although it would come tantalizingly close to the amount needed to give a max deal to one of the unsigned of the 2004 class (Okafor, Gordon, Deng, Iguodala, Josh Smith).

Of course Haslem's name has come up in every trade rumor and hes never been traded. I think Miami fans should take the hint. Riley likes Haslem.

definitely some good young players to choose from. Plus you have a good player in the Matrix and of course Wade.

I dont know why Heat fans are so convinced that Brand will opt out of his contract. He will make 16 mill if he stays with the Clippers next year and entering free agency coming off his injury might be a risk. I also havent really seen anything about Brand being unhappy in LA. He might be and I missed it, but if anyone could help me out and show me some links that'd be great.

Clippers have shown they'll spend money as of late also. Brand stays, teaming up with Kaman, Thornton, a lottery pick and a FA, and the Clippers can be back in the playoffs pretty quickly.

This is from 1/22/08

"One, based on my conversation with Elton, he's not going to opt out," Sterling told the Los Angeles Times. "And two, whatever he asks for, I think he deserves. He is our franchise player; we need him. You saw a short time ago we were pretty close to being a special team, and now without him you see how difficult it is."

I dont know why Heat fans are so convinced that Brand will opt out of his contract. He will make 16 mill if he stays with the Clippers next year and entering free agency coming off his injury might be a risk. I also havent really seen anything about Brand being unhappy in LA. He might be and I missed it, but if anyone could help me out and show me some links that'd be great.

Clippers have shown they'll spend money as of late also. Brand stays, teaming up with Kaman, Thornton, a lottery pick and a FA, and the Clippers can be back in the playoffs pretty quickly.

This is from 1/22/08

I agree, I doubt he leaves but Stearling has been acting weird the last month with calling out Dunleavy.

Thanks for the clarification, Ferret.

Fuel for the fire:

The latest buzz (mentioned in Izzy's latest blog, and Ira via email) has Riley calling up title contenders about potential interest in Udonis Haslem. Riley wants expirings, and the catch? One would have to take on Mark Blount's ridiculous contract as well.

According to Hoopshype's 2008-2009 cap figures, that's $14,537,500.

Our cap total for next year would be $40,152,323.

That is assuming that we extend the Q/O to Dorell Wright & pick up A.J.'s team option.

EDIT: Those numbers assume Smush Parker opts out as well.

Of course, we'll probably have a top 5 pick to figure in and the fact that the roster would need to be filled. I mean, we wouldn't have a single capable center on the roster, but I'm assuming that someone like Desagna Diop would come cheap; possibly as a Kendrick Perkins type. Nonetheless, if Dwyane Wade, Shawn Marion, and Elton Brand are on my roster.......I am not going to hesitate at going into the tax to surround them with a talented supporting cast. Would Micky?

1. Dwyane Wade
2. Elton Brand
3. Shawn Marion
4. Dorell Wright
5. Daequan Cook
6. Marcus Banks
7. Chris Quinn
8. Alexander Johnson
9. Joel Anthony
10. Earl Barron
11. (rookie)
12. (rookie)
13. (vet minimum)
14. (vet minimum)
15. (vet minimum)

Is it possible that we'd still have the mid-level as well?

lol, I wonder if we could squeeze Zo in for another year with that big-3. :D

Thanks for the clarification, Ferret.

Fuel for the fire:

The latest buzz (mentioned in Izzy's latest blog, and Ira via email) has Riley calling up title contenders about potential interest in Udonis Haslem. Riley wants expirings, and the catch? One would have to take on Mark Blount's ridiculous contract as well.

According to Hoopshype's 2008-2009 cap figures, that's $14,537,500.

Our cap total for next year would be $40,152,323.

That is assuming that we extend the Q/O to Dorell Wright & pick up A.J.'s team option.

EDIT: Those numbers assume Smush Parker opts out as well.

Of course, we'll probably have a top 5 pick to figure in and the fact that the roster would need to be filled. I mean, we wouldn't have a single capable center on the roster, but I'm assuming that someone like Desagna Diop would come cheap; possibly as a Kendrick Perkins type. Nonetheless, if Dwyane Wade, Shawn Marion, and Elton Brand are on my roster.......I am not going to hesitate at going into the tax to surround them with a talented supporting cast. Would Micky?

1. Dwyane Wade
2. Elton Brand
3. Shawn Marion
4. Dorell Wright
5. Daequan Cook
6. Marcus Banks
7. Chris Quinn
8. Alexander Johnson
9. Joel Anthony
10. Earl Barron
11. (rookie)
12. (rookie)
13. (vet minimum)
14. (vet minimum)
15. (vet minimum)

Is it possible that we'd still have the mid-level as well?

lol, I wonder if we could squeeze Zo in for another year with that big-3. :D

According to Ferrts numbers above the Heat will be at around 51$ next year if you dont tender Wright or pick up the option on Johnson. How do you pay for Brand and still have a mid-level? And why are you positive Brand is leaving when nothing is pointing to that happening?

Did you read the beginning of my post or........?

Obviously, I subtracted Udonis Haslem & Mark Blount from the equation.

Also, I thought the entire idea of this discussion was hypothetical. Nowhere did I imply fact towards Elton Brand leaving, nor opting to sign with Miami if the money becomes available.

Did you read the beginning of my post or........?

Also, I thought the entire idea of this discussion was hypothetical. Nowhere did I imply fact towards Elton Brand leaving, nor opting to sign with Miami if the money becomes available.

Every Heat hypothetical is Brand coming, obviously there is some reasoning behind it, or something to make people think it's likely. I'm just wondering what that reasoning is. If it's just wishfully thinking and based on nothing alright, have fun with your fantasies. I did read the beginning of your post, but everyone seems to be banking on Brand even before you mentioned Haslem and Blount being shipped out. So I ventured into the thread after reading over and over about Brand wondering if it was based on you guys hearing/reading anything, or if it was just wishful thinking.

If we don't get Brand I would love to see Beasley... he played beastly last night. Rose would be good too, man #1 pick would be fantastic.

Every Heat hypothetical is Brand coming, obviously there is some reasoning behind it, or something to make people think it's likely. I'm just wondering what that reasoning is. If it's just wishfully thinking and based on nothing alright, have fun with your fantasies. I did read the beginning of your post, but everyone seems to be banking on Brand even before you mentioned Haslem and Blount being shipped out. So I ventured into the thread after reading over and over about Brand wondering if it was based on you guys hearing/reading anything, or if it was just wishful thinking.

I was questioning the part about Ferret's numbers. My numbers were a lot different because I included the possibility of moving Haslem/Blount for expirings.

But yeah, there is a ton of heat between Riley and Brand. As we all remember, we signed Brand a few years ago and he didn't want LAC to match. They weren't supposed to, as there was a press conference and all. From a few articles I've read over the years, it seems as though Riley and Brand are actual friends, and Brand looks up to Riley as a mentor in a sense.

It's just that Riley is a guy who usually keeps ties for a reason. He tried trading for J-Will/Posey like 2-3 years before the deal went down. We were inked to Antoine Walker about 2-3 years earlier as well. Riley spoke highly of Odom (in a Magic Johnson sense) since the day he entered the league, and was openly a major fan. Ehh, there are about 5-10 more examples out there, but you get the picture. Once Riley explores an option, it seems to never disappear.

Then, let's throw in the fact that LAC has nothing promising to keep him around.

If we don't get Brand I would love to see Beasley... he played beastly last night. Rose would be good too, man #1 pick would be fantastic.
If Wade plays the season out, I see Miami finishing about 3-5 in terms of the worse records in basketball. I can't see Wade/Marion not winning more games than the current Heat.

Hopefully we find some luck in the lottery, though. You never know.

And in this draft, #3 (likely DeAndre Jordan) has the potential to be the best.

I was questioning the part about Ferret's numbers. My numbers were a lot different because I included the possibility of moving Haslem/Blount for expirings.

But yeah, there is a ton of heat between Riley and Brand. As we all remember, we signed Brand a few years ago and he didn't want LAC to match. They weren't supposed to, as there was a press conference and all. From a few articles I've read over the years, it seems as though Riley and Brand are actual friends, and Brand looks up to Riley as a mentor in a sense.

It's just that Riley is a guy who usually keeps ties for a reason. He tried trading for J-Will/Posey like 2-3 years before the deal went down. We were inked to Antoine Walker about 2-3 years earlier as well. Riley spoke highly of Odom (in a Magic Johnson sense) since the day he entered the league, and was openly a major fan. Ehh, there are about 5-10 more examples out there, but you get the picture. Once Riley explores an option, it seems to never disappear.

Then, let's throw in the fact that LAC has nothing promising to keep him around.

Fair enough. Thx for the info on Riley.

You're a Clippers fan?

I thought I read something a few months ago about Brand not opting out.

This is from 1/22/08

It's not a risk for him to opt out. It is actually risky for him to NOT OPT out.

he Opts out..he gets security and a max contract.

he doesn;t..he risks injury.

Last time we re-built..it took us 16 months. We are well on our way to beating that number. Don't hate us because we have Pat Riley.

if I remember..you were/are a Nets fan..right? Hey...Rod Thorn is great. :lol:

It's not a risk for him to opt out. It is actually risky for him to NOT OPT out.

he Opts out..he gets security and a max contract.

he doesn;t..he risks injury.

Got it? good.

I just knew that the haters would start again as soon as they saw that the heat was on the comback trail.

Last time we re-built..it took us 16 months. We are well on our way to beating that number. Don't hate us because we have Pat Riley.

if I remember..you were/are a Nets fan..right? Hey...Rod Thorn is great. :lol:

Hater lol. I couldnt care less about the Heat one way or the other and have zero reason to root against them. I root for the Clippers because I cant stand the Lakers and I love Elton Brand. My questions about why you guys think Brand is leaving are simply based on selfish reasons and not wanting to see him leave LA. It has nothing to do with Miami. I was just looking for a little info if you guys out in Miami had heard anything about Brand possibly opting out. I didnt mean to come off as though I was attacking/hating on the Heat.

Back
Top Bottom