The Official OTA Talk Thread!!! | Page 32 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official OTA Talk Thread!!!

Yessir! It's all about these young guys stepping up. I'm finally realizing how important these late round picks are.

and I still am loving to see a well coached (from Michigan State) and hard working kid like Lippett getting great words early on and often, and making plays in practices consistently!!!

i got thumbed down in other threads on saying that... and people saying "hold the breaks" to me.... i am not saying he is going to start, or take over and dominate. but its positive for our future seeing a lower round prospect like him doing this and working for his future!!! nothing wrong with that.... keep it going Lippett!!!

and I still am loving to see a well coached (from Michigan State) and hard working kid like Lippett getting great words early on and often, and making plays in practices consistently!!!

i got thumbed down in other threads on saying that... and people saying "hold the breaks" to me.... i am not saying he is going to start, or take over and dominate. but its positive for our future seeing a lower round prospect like him doing this and working for his future!!! nothing wrong with that.... keep it going Lippett!!!

Pffff haters are gonna hate. Who cares, preach it brotha! I completely agree though I've loved the Lippett pick from the beginning and I'm stoked to see what he's going to do for us. It's all speculation of course, but I have a good feeling about the guy.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Greg Likens ‏@GregLikens 5m5 minutes ago
Cam Wake just interrupted Joe Philbin's press conference & joked that he'd take defensive questions

IS Philbin loosening up a bit? Can't wait to watch the press conference and see how he handles this.

great to hear on Landry and matthews playing like that today too!!!

OG- still think its Thomas and Turner spots... theirs to lose though. they better get developing more and showing they can start consistently. they def going to be mixing all the OGs in though at #1

Secondary- mixing it up!!! getting action against #1 lines... i like. good for overall evaluations and see what they can bring throughout season with packages. I hope Taylor is okay... just miht be his day to not play #1 as much.

I was curious on Stills being so quiet... hopefuly he working hard and doing something!!!

Sadly the only other Stills OTA reference that I can remember was a drop from Tannehill in our first OTA...

Dave Hyde ‏@davehydesports 5m5 minutes ago
Before we put @omarkellu in 12 step process for tweeting on vacation,Jamar Taylor said he pulled up on long pass to avoid any contact

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Sadly the only other Stills OTA reference that I can remember was a drop from Tannehill in our first OTA...

If we don't hear from him in Training Camp then lets get worried.

Thoughts:

-Shocker of the camp so far HAS to be Lippett. It's still a super small chance he opens the season as a starter in any way shape or form, BUT he keeps this up he will get some burn subbing in here and there and the PT is there for him to steal.

-Wow, Matt Moore is streaky...borderline abysmal...before every season starts. You can set your watch to it.

-It's looking more and more like again Hickey has done a good job and this draft is going to net us some serious talent on this roster. It's a foreign concept for many of us Phin fans to see so many rooks challenging for spots out of the gate. Even if Philbin continues to 'Philbin it up', you have to keep this GM duo in place.

-There are too many McCains on this roster for me to read tweets about them anymore. I give up trying to figure out who the writers are trying to describe when they say "McCain with a pass break up"

-Our kicking situation is a mess. Like I said in a previous post, if we play as close games (and this is the Dolphins, so you know they all will be close) this could really mess things up for us this season.

-I predict Sturgis is gifted the job no matter whether he comes back and misses every field goal. Why? I think Philbin blames himself for the kickball injury and that will blind him to the fact Sturgis was worthy of being cut before it even happened.

-A name I REALLY want to read more and more about is Fede. He has a chance to step up in a big way this season and I hope the Dolphins give him a shot during games.

-This is the first camp I feel like Tannehill has full command of the offense out there. He is familiar with the system, Wallace is gone, he got PAID, he spent the offseason eating tacos on a boat with several of his teammates...it's a joy to see him finally comfortable in his own skin at QB. If there was ever a year for him to make a meteoric leap, it is this one. So far so good.

Jacksons observations

News, views, nuggets from Monday's Dolphins practice
News and views from today’s Dolphins OTA session, the third and final one open to the media before next week’s mini-camp (which is open to the media but not the public).

### The great guard experiment continues! Today, Billy Turner and Jeff Linkenbach got first-team snaps at right guard (Turner got more than Linkenbach and remains the front-runner at that position), while Jamil Douglas and Dallas Thomas took with first-team snaps at left guard. Douglas seemed to get more time today with the first team than Thomas, but Douglas said the snaps are being split equally.

The Dolphins have been impressed with Douglas. “He doesn’t make a lot of mental mistakes,” Joe Philbin said. "I really like what I see."

### Ryan Tannehill implied DeVante Parker will miss at least part of training camp, which isn’t a surprise.

He’s expected to be out eight weeks after foot surgery, according to his agent. With Parker out, the Dolphins re-signed former UM receiver Tommy Streeter, who spent some time on the team’s practice squad last year.

Philbin didn’t want to discuss Parker’s injury but said: “We expect him to be a great player for a long time.”

### Philbin seldom says anything about his interaction with players, but he gave some insight into how he’s handling the tricky situation with Rishard Matthews, who has asked for a trade because he wants to play more.

“He needs to have faith the right things will happen,” Philbin said. “I love his enthusiasm. He has confidence in his ability. Rishard has practiced well.”

### Jarvis Landry was the star today in a practice devoted in large part to red zone drills. Landry repeatedly got open around the goal line and made a scintillating one handed catch in the end zone.

### Good to see Will Davis doing 11 on 11 drills, less than seven months after sustaining a torn ACL. He seems to be moving around well. Brandon Albert remains sidelined after his ACL injury. Louis Delmas, also off an ACL, was in uniform but didn't participate in 11 on 11 drills.

### Philbin, predictably, did not want to say whether he regrets holding a kickball game that resulted in a quadriceps injury to kicker Caleb Sturgis.

“There’s purpose behind everything we do,” Philbin said. “Everything is under my watch.”

In Sturgis’ absence, Andrew Franks hit four of five field goals. He connected from 28, 41, 44 and 47 and missed from 51.

### With Delmas limited, Walt Aikens, who has impressed the staff this spring, and Michael Thomas split first-team safety snaps opposite Reshad Jones.

### Other notable practice stuff: Greg Jennings had several catches against Brent Grimes and others. Jennings still has a knack for getting open… Matt Hazel dropped at least two passes but also had a touchdown catch in red zone drills….

Among linebackers, Jelani Jenkins and Zach Vigil had excellent breakups in coverage…. Deep ball alert: Tannehill completed the only one in practice, to Michael Preston…. The McCain cornerbacks each broke up passing plays and Bobby McCain had a sack on a blitz. Both continue to get work in the slot and the boundary… Rookie Tony Lippett got some first-team snaps, as did at least six cornerbacks on the roster. Lippett broke up a pass to Tyler McDonald….

Jordan Cameron made a great TD catch in the back of the end zone, from Tannehill... We saw some of Jay Ajayi’s heralded pass catching skills; he took a pass from McLeod Bethel Thompson for a long touchdown.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...days-dolphins-practice.html#storylink=addthis

### Jarvis Landry was the star today in a practice devoted in large part to red zone drills. Landry repeatedly got open around the goal line and made a scintillating one handed catch in the end zone.

d2jQOgBnMKGrHgoOKkYEjlLmbkuBKPdiVcW_1.JPG.jpeg

Can see Thompson, Thomas, and Aikens as our safeties for a few years to come. Jones has what ... one more year on his contract? Delmas as good as he is we know is only one play from getting hurt. We have a nice young group of safeties and because of Jones and Delmas none of the younger guys have to be rushed along.

Can see Thompson, Thomas, and Aikens as our safeties for a few years to come. Jones has what ... one more year on his contract? Delmas as good as he is we know is only one play from getting hurt. We have a nice young group of safeties and because of Jones and Delmas none of the younger guys have to be rushed along.

Jones contract..

8/5/2013: Signed a five-year, $30.81 million contract. The deal contains $15 million guaranteed -- a $5 million signing bonus and each of Jones' first three base salaries. 2015: $6.76 million, 2016: $7.225 million (+ $25,000 workout bonus), 2017: $7.06 million (+ $25,000 workout bonus), 2018: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5649/reshad-jones

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 21s21 seconds ago
Tannehill: "Right now, our talent level at the skill position players is as high as it's been since I've been here.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 22s22 seconds ago
Dolphins are working on stuff they didn't do well in '14. Deep ball, of course. But a surprise: Intermediate middle.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 1m1 minute ago
And it bears repeating, since he rarely speaks this glowingly. Philbin said he expects Parker to be "a great player.

Back
Top Bottom