The Official Scenario for the Dolphins to get into the Playoffs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Scenario for the Dolphins to get into the Playoffs

Kdawg954

My f*ck ups be the perfect mistakes
Club Member
Reaction score
So there is definitely alot of confusion about how the Fins can get in.

Let's get the MUST things out of the way:

First off, Miami MUST defeat the Bills and Pats to finish the season 8-8
Pittsburgh MUST defeat the Bengals this week
Both Cincy and Pittsburgh MUST lose in week 17 so both of the teams can finish 8-8
The Jets MUST lose one of their final 2 games

Here is the breakdown:

If the Jets win their final 2 games and finish 8-8 . . . that ELIMINATES the Dolphins from the playoffs. The Jets own the tiebreaker over the Fins in that situation as they both would finish tied at 8-8 and finish 3-3 in the division and the Jets OWN the Common Games tiebreaker because of their loss to the Steelers (they still have Chargers) and the Fins 2 wins over the Bengals and Raiders (the only 2 uncommon teams for Miami). The Jets would finish 7-7 in common games while the Fins would finish 6-8 in common games.

The reason why the Jets were ELIMINATED from the playoffs with the loss to the Titans is because of their loss to the Steelers this season . . . however the Dolphins OWN the tiebreaker over the Steelers because of conference record. The Fins would be 6-6 in the AFC while the Steelers would be 5-7. Even tho the Dolphins OWN the tiebreaker over the Steelers they would never be in a position to use this advantage if the Jets win the Divisional tiebreak (common games) over us.

If the Bengals finish 8-8 (lose final 2 games) they are eliminated as they lose the tiebreak to the Steelers via head to head. Our win over the Bengals has absolutely no effect on anything (outside of being one of the AFC victories that helped us get a better conference record over the Steelers).

I know this can be confusing, but there it is in a nutshell. If The Fins defeat the Bills this week and the Steelers defeat the Bengals . . . we go into week 17 with a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, now I'm drpessed. I thought the Jest we're out. Now I have to endure a week (or maybe 2

Ok, now I'm drpessed. I thought the Jest we're out. Now I have to endure a week (or maybe 2

Although the Jets ARE eliminated from the playoffs with a loss tomorrow night . . . they can eliminate us by winning the following 2 games to finish 8-8 (3-3 division)

The fins would own the tie break over the Steelers because if the correct scenarios play out then Miami would be 6-6 in the AFC (currently 4-6; wins over Buffalo and NE puts us at 6-6 in the AFC), whereas Pittsburgh would be 5-7 in the AFC (currently they are 4-6 ... beating Cincy puts them at 5-6 before losing to Cleveland puts them at 5-7 in the AFC). I looked this up earlier.

The fins would own the tie break over the Steelers because if the correct scenarios play out then Miami would be 6-6 in the AFC (currently 4-6; wins over Buffalo and NE puts us at 6-6 in the AFC), whereas Pittsburgh would be 5-7 in the AFC (currently they are 4-6 ... beating Cincy puts them at 5-6 before losing to Cleveland puts them at 5-7 in the AFC). I looked this up earlier.

There you go . . . and it makes sense because the tiebreak between 2 teams for the wildcard is record in the conference. I'll update the original post with this info. Thanks

In any event...nice to at least be in the picture this late in the season...

It is nice to still be involved, however unlikely it is.

There is a good chance the fins beat Buffalo; hopefully Pittsburgh beats Cincy meaning the fins should be alive going into the last week. It is extremely unlikely that events will unfold exactly how we need them to but it'll keep it interesting the rest of the way.

Wow so jets loose tomorrow night there done? Or the bills beat the jets wow how crazy we are alive tho how nutty is that

No, not quite. Jets losing tomorrow (very likely IMO) puts them at 6-8. Same as us. It becomes much easier to understand if the Jets lose tomorrow. Basically they fall into the same boat as us, they'll need to win out or they'll be done.

No, not quite. Jets losing tomorrow (very likely IMO) puts them at 6-8. Same as us. It becomes much easier to understand if the Jets lose tomorrow. Basically they fall into the same boat as us, they'll need to win out or they'll be done.

If the Jets lose tommorw they are ELIMINATED. The reason they are eliminated is because of the Bengals/Steelers matchup the following week. If the Bengals win, they are 9-7 (the best the Jets can do is 8-8). If the Steelers win, they own the division tiebreak over Cincy if both teams finish 8-8 and therefore own the wildcard tiebreak over the Jets because of the head to head win earlier this year.

Any loss by the Jets eliminates them from the playoffs. There is no situation where the Jets can get into the playoffs at 8-8

If the Jets lose tommorw they are ELIMINATED. The reason they are eliminated is because of the Bengals/Steelers matchup the following week. If the Bengals win, they are 9-7 (the best the Jets can do is 8-8). If the Steelers win, they own the division tiebreak over Cincy if both teams finish 8-8 and therefore own the wildcard tiebreak over them because of the head to head win earlier this year.

So confusing sometimes :lol:

Lets just focus on beating Buffalo and see what happens :up: :D

So confusing sometimes :lol:

Lets just focus on beating Buffalo and see what happens :up: :D

I completely agree, I just thought if we are going to be seeing a bunch of playoff threads, I may as well try to put together one official one with the correct information.

Back
Top Bottom