The Official WWE/TNA Pro Wrestling Thread | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official WWE/TNA Pro Wrestling Thread

The incident you talk of happened. Back in the early 80's. 1983, 84, and 85'. Mel Phillips and Pat Patterson were the people doing what you said. But that was a looooooooooooong time ago. Nothing of this nature happens these days anymore. Nor did anything like this happen 5 days ago.

And Nancy Grace has done a god awful job in her coverage. Saying Benoit was depressed because he was recently demoted from the 4-Horsemen show to the RAW show. And then saying nobody dies of "sleep apena" refering to Johnny Grunge. Uh, Reggie White and about a few million americans die of Sleep Apena die each year!!

Nancy Grace is a terrible journalist
This is my final post on this. My response was with in the last 5 years. Nancy Grace does get to the facts, and you are entitled to your opinion. She did an awesome job on this subject. If you read the transcripts, you will see that she did.

Thanks,
John

This is my final post on this. My response was with in the last 5 years. Nancy Grace does get to the facts, and you are entitled to your opinion. She did an awesome job on this subject. If you read the transcripts, you will see that she did.

Thanks,
John

From the first post to the final post you were wrong. It hasn't happened in the last 5 years. The WWE is publicaly traded company something like that would cripple them!! I am guessing you HEARD of the old story from the 80's just recently and have your facts confused. You were WRONG from your first post and your WRONG in your final post.

Nancy Grace made Geraldo look like Dave Meltzer. She has all of her facts WRONG and is clueless as to what she is talking about. A demotion from the 4-horsemen show to the RAW show. I mean come on, do 10 seconds of research and have SOME knowledge of the subject you are talking about

From the first post to the final post you were wrong. It hasn't happened in the last 5 years. The WWE is publicaly traded company something like that would cripple them!! I am guessing you HEARD of the old story from the 80's just recently and have your facts confused. You were WRONG from your first post and your WRONG in your final post.

Nancy Grace made Geraldo look like Dave Meltzer. She has all of her facts WRONG and is clueless as to what she is talking about. A demotion from the 4-horsemen show to the RAW show. I mean come on, do 10 seconds of research and have SOME knowledge of the subject you are talking about

MikeO is right here. You have got your timeline skewed. The sex scandal was back in the early-mid 80's. As far as Nancy Grace being a "journalist", well, she's been decidedly anti-wwf in her attacks, and verifiably wrong on multiple occasions. As far as the Von Erich's it wasnt the drugs that killed that family, it was the total moral bankruptcy of Fritz. He failed his sons.
Hell, you dont have to go back any farther than the Duke scandal to see where she convicted those men on her show, and i have YET to see her apologize for that. She's a sensationalist in the vein of Rush, Olbermann, Maher and Coulter. Don't ever think she's a serious principaled journalist, thats just not the case

just something I'd like to point out, a lot of the wrestlers Nancy Grace said died before 50 never worked for the WWE (quite a few of them worked for World Class). Ad I saw quite a bit of names on that list that did not die from steroid abuse...

David Von Erich-drug overdose
Chris Von Erich-Suicide due to chronic depression
Mike Von Erich- Sucide due to toxic shock syndrome, and the death of David
Kerry Von Erich-Shoot himself to avoid jail time for violating probation
Bruiser Brody-Stabbed in the heart by a jealous wrestler in Puerto Rico
Junk Yard Dog-car crash
Chris Candido-Died due to complications of a staff infection he got from a broken leg
Gino Hernandez-Cocaine overdose
Chris Adams-GHB and alcohol overdose
Crash Holly-choked on his own vomit after passing out from alcohol overdose
Louie Spicolli-painkiller overdose
Art Barr-unknown (no illegal or prescription drugs were in his system, nor in his possession)
Owen Hart-Fell 70 feet from the rafters
Andre the Giant- congestive heart failure due to a growth hormone-secreting pituitary tumor he had much of his life and chose not to have treated
Yokozuna-Heart Attack due to his massive size
Miss Elizabeth-Drug overdose
The Renegade-Suicide due to depression of being fired by WCW
Terry Gordy-Heart attack caused by a blood clot
Big John Studd-Liver Cancer

that's all I can think off

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/07/08/health/17_09_457_5_07.txt

Not in the script -- Chris Benoit's death is the latest in a list of pro wrestlers dying young

By: PAUL NEWBERRY - Associated Press Everything is planned. The high-flying moves. The outlandish story lines. The crackpot characters.

One thing isn't in the script: the staggering number of pro wrestlers who die young.
Chris Benoit was the latest, taking his own life at age 40 after killing his wife and son in a grisly case that might be the blackest eye yet for the pseudo-sport already ridiculed as nothing more than comic books come to life, a cultlike outlet for testosterone-ragin' young males to cheer on their freakishly bulked-up heroes.

But the tenacious, grim-faced grappler known as the "Canadian Crippler" was hardly alone in heading to an early grave.

The very same weekend Benoit killed his family in Atlanta, the body of old tag-team partner Biff Wellington (real name: Shayne Bower) was found in his bed, dead at 42. A couple of weeks ago, former women's champion "Sensational" Sherri Martel passed away at her mother's home in Alabama. She was 49.

And on it goes.

The WWE also was quick to announce Benoit had passed his last drug test in April, part of the organization's "Wellness Program" that was put in place after the death of star Eddie Guerrero two years ago.

But Wadler doesn't sound all that impressed with the WWE's testing procedures. He's especially troubled that the WWE refuses to discuss the program in any detail.

Both Evers and wrestling journalist Bryan Alvarez, who have seen guidelines for the program, found two major loopholes:

- A wrestler can pass the doping test with a testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio of 10:1, more than double the WADA standard. Under WADA rules, athletes are in violation starting at 4:1; the average ratio is 1:1.

- A wrestler who tests positive can be excused if he produces a doctor's prescription and a medically justified reason for taking the drug in question.

just something I'd like to point out, a lot of the wrestlers Nancy Grace said died before 50 never worked for the WWE (quite a few of them worked for World Class). Ad I saw quite a bit of names on that list that did not die from steroid abuse...

David Von Erich-drug overdose
Chris Von Erich-Suicide due to chronic depression
Mike Von Erich- Sucide due to toxic shock syndrome, and the death of David
Kerry Von Erich-Shoot himself to avoid jail time for violating probation
Bruiser Brody-Stabbed in the heart by a jealous wrestler in Puerto Rico
Junk Yard Dog-car crash
Chris Candido-Died due to complications of a staff infection he got from a broken leg
Gino Hernandez-Cocaine overdose
Chris Adams-GHB and alcohol overdose
Crash Holly-choked on his own vomit after passing out from alcohol overdose
Louie Spicolli-painkiller overdose
Art Barr-unknown (no illegal or prescription drugs were in his system, nor in his possession)
Owen Hart-Fell 70 feet from the rafters
Andre the Giant- congestive heart failure due to a growth hormone-secreting pituitary tumor he had much of his life and chose not to have treated
Yokozuna-Heart Attack due to his massive size
Miss Elizabeth-Drug overdose
The Renegade-Suicide due to depression of being fired by WCW
Terry Gordy-Heart attack caused by a blood clot
Big John Studd-Liver Cancer

that's all I can think off

Mike Awesome committed suicide by hanging himself. Add that to the list

Greatest line ever was Fit Finaly on Nancy Grace last night when she was running down a list, and he was pointing out the ones that weren't steroids or drugs and Fit said in a very sarcastic voice......."only professional wrestlers die, nobody else"

Like jesus christ lady people die!!! Get over it!

The WWE also was quick to announce Benoit had passed his last drug test in April, part of the organization's "Wellness Program" that was put in place after the death of star Eddie Guerrero two years ago.

But Wadler doesn't sound all that impressed with the WWE's testing procedures. He's especially troubled that the WWE refuses to discuss the program in any detail.

Both Evers and wrestling journalist Bryan Alvarez, who have seen guidelines for the program, found two major loopholes:

- A wrestler can pass the doping test with a testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio of 10:1, more than double the WADA standard. Under WADA rules, athletes are in violation starting at 4:1; the average ratio is 1:1.

- A wrestler who tests positive can be excused if he produces a doctor's prescription and a medically justified reason for taking the drug in question.

I expect the 1st one to be changed. That 10:1 won't be that very much longer. WWE can change that easily.

U.S. WRESTLERS BODY COUNT

Notable wrestlers who have died before the age of 50, with real names in parentheses, age and reported cause of death:

1984: David Von Erich, 25, intestinal condition

1985: "Quick Draw" Rick McGraw, 30, heart attack

1986; "Gorgeous" Gino Hernandez (Charles Wolfe), 29, cocaine overdose

1987: Mike Von Erich, 23, suicide

1988: Adrian Adonis (Keith Franke), 34, auto accident; Bruiser Brody (Frank Goodish), 42, stabbing

1990: Ed "The Bull" Gantner, 31, suicide

1992: "Mad Dog" Buzz Sawyer (Bruce Woyan), 32, heart attack

1993: Kerry Von Erich, 33, suicide; Dino Bravo (Adolfo Bresciano), 44, shooting; Andre the Giant (Andre Rousimoff), 46, heart failure

1994: Art Barr, 28, unknown

1995: Eddie Gilbert, 33, heart attack; "Crusher" Jerry Blackwell, 45, complications for pneumonia; Big John Studd (John William Minton), 46, cancer

1996: Dick Murdoch, 49, heart attack

1997: "Flyin"' Brian Pillman, 35, heart disease; Jeep Swenson (Robert Alexander Swenson Jr.), 40, heart failure

1998: Louie Spiccoli (Louis Mucciolo), 27, coronary disease possibly caused by drug use; Junkyard Dog (Sylvester Ritter), 45, car wreck

1999: Blue Blazer (Owen Hart), 33, fell to death while being lowered from the rafters for a match; The Renegade (Richard C. Williams), 33, suicide; Ravishing Rick Rude (Richard Rood), 41, drug overdose

2000: Bobby Duncum Jr., 34, accidental overdose; Yokozuna (Rodney Anoa'i), 34, heart failure

2001: "Gentleman" Chris Adams, 46, shooting; Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy, 40, heart attack; Bertha Faye (Rhonda Singh), 40, heart attack

2002: "British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith, 39, enlarged heart possibly caused by steroid abuse; Big Dick Dudley (Alex Rizzo), 34, kidney failure; Rocco Rock (Theodore Petty), 49, heart attack

2003: Crash Holly (Michael Lockwood), 32, drug overdose; The Wall (aka Malice) (Jerry Tuite), 36, heart attack; Pitbull No. 2 (Anthony Durante), 36, drug overdose; Road Warrior Hawk (Michael Hegstrand), 46, heart attack; Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig, 44, cocaine overdose

2004: Big Boss Man (Ray Traylor), 42, heart attack; Hercules (Raymond Fernandez), 45, heart disease

2005: Chris Candido, 33, complications for ankle surgery; Eddie Guerrero, 38, heart failure

2006: Johnny Grunge (Mike Durham), 39, complications from sleep apnea; Earthquake (John Anthony Tenta), 42, cancer

2007: Scott "Bam Bam" Bigelow, 45, drug overdose; Mike Awesome (Michael Lee Alfonso), 42, suicide; "Sensational" Sherri Martel (Sherri Russell), 49, under investigation; Chris Benoit, 40, reported suicide after allegedly killing wife and 7-year-old son.

U.S. WRESTLERS BODY COUNT

Notable wrestlers who have died before the age of 50, with real names in parentheses, age and reported cause of death:

1984: David Von Erich, 25, intestinal condition

1985: "Quick Draw" Rick McGraw, 30, heart attack

1986; "Gorgeous" Gino Hernandez (Charles Wolfe), 29, cocaine overdose

1987: Mike Von Erich, 23, suicide

1988: Adrian Adonis (Keith Franke), 34, auto accident; Bruiser Brody (Frank Goodish), 42, stabbing

1990: Ed "The Bull" Gantner, 31, suicide

1992: "Mad Dog" Buzz Sawyer (Bruce Woyan), 32, heart attack

1993: Kerry Von Erich, 33, suicide; Dino Bravo (Adolfo Bresciano), 44, shooting; Andre the Giant (Andre Rousimoff), 46, heart failure

1994: Art Barr, 28, unknown

1995: Eddie Gilbert, 33, heart attack; "Crusher" Jerry Blackwell, 45, complications for pneumonia; Big John Studd (John William Minton), 46, cancer

1996: Dick Murdoch, 49, heart attack

1997: "Flyin"' Brian Pillman, 35, heart disease; Jeep Swenson (Robert Alexander Swenson Jr.), 40, heart failure

1998: Louie Spiccoli (Louis Mucciolo), 27, coronary disease possibly caused by drug use; Junkyard Dog (Sylvester Ritter), 45, car wreck

1999: Blue Blazer (Owen Hart), 33, fell to death while being lowered from the rafters for a match; The Renegade (Richard C. Williams), 33, suicide; Ravishing Rick Rude (Richard Rood), 41, drug overdose

2000: Bobby Duncum Jr., 34, accidental overdose; Yokozuna (Rodney Anoa'i), 34, heart failure

2001: "Gentleman" Chris Adams, 46, shooting; Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy, 40, heart attack; Bertha Faye (Rhonda Singh), 40, heart attack

2002: "British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith, 39, enlarged heart possibly caused by steroid abuse; Big Dick Dudley (Alex Rizzo), 34, kidney failure; Rocco Rock (Theodore Petty), 49, heart attack

2003: Crash Holly (Michael Lockwood), 32, drug overdose; The Wall (aka Malice) (Jerry Tuite), 36, heart attack; Pitbull No. 2 (Anthony Durante), 36, drug overdose; Road Warrior Hawk (Michael Hegstrand), 46, heart attack; Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig, 44, cocaine overdose

2004: Big Boss Man (Ray Traylor), 42, heart attack; Hercules (Raymond Fernandez), 45, heart disease

2005: Chris Candido, 33, complications for ankle surgery; Eddie Guerrero, 38, heart failure

2006: Johnny Grunge (Mike Durham), 39, complications from sleep apnea; Earthquake (John Anthony Tenta), 42, cancer

2007: Scott "Bam Bam" Bigelow, 45, drug overdose; Mike Awesome (Michael Lee Alfonso), 42, suicide; "Sensational" Sherri Martel (Sherri Russell), 49, under investigation; Chris Benoit, 40, reported suicide after allegedly killing wife and 7-year-old son.

Im just curious...has anyone done any investigations into the death rates of major pro sports? Baseball, basketball and football? Id really be interested to know how many of those guys die every year before they hit the age of 50.

Im betting the rate isnt that much different

EDIT:
Football has more dead athletes before 50, wheres the outrage?
http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=SUPERSIZE-NFL-01-31-06

football mortality compared to baseball
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2313520

basketball rates i couldnt find right off. but you get the picture

i think the reason the WWE and Professional wrestling gets all heat about young wrestlers dieing because of steroid use is because its easy to do. They are an easy target and a scapegoat for other organizations like MLB and the NFL. A wrestler dies and the first thing people say is steroids without knowing all the facts

i think the reason the WWE and Professional wrestling gets all heat about young wrestlers dieing because of steroid use is because its easy to do. They are an easy target and a scapegoat for other organizations like MLB and the NFL. A wrestler dies and the first thing people say is steroids without knowing all the facts

I don't think they are a scape goat becuase if you look at the numbers they are pretty bad. I mean its not because they wrestle but there is something to it. Not knowing all the facts does hurt, But we will never have all the facts in any sport.

Rumor is that a main event wrestler was sent home because of drugs. The name of the wrestler has not been known yet

more info on the Benoit murders is coming out.

After Benoit killed his wife, hours later the pool cleaner came over and Benoit was outside seen talking to him. THEN, after he left, neighbors saw Chris and Daniel swimming in the pool fooling around. (which with the timeline his wife DEAD inside)

Later that day, Chris talked to a neighbor friend. This lady wasn't fond of Chris but was close to Nancy and Daniel. She said Chris told her of how Nancy and Daniel were very sick and throwing up. And more. The lady is saying Chris was telling her "a little too much info" about how sick they were going into extreme detail.

She is the same lady who FOUND the bodys when the police came. The police were affraid to enter the home with the 2 big watch dogs, so they sent her in. She walked in found Nancy and Daniels bodies then came running out of the house screaming and crying.

Back
Top Bottom