The One Thing I worry about(Defense) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The One Thing I worry about(Defense)

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
We currently have 4 CBs that I could definitely see on the final 2005 roster, however there is a problem. Who's going to play nickel and dime? No really we lack CBs for that.

Poole is arguably the only corner that's able to play in the slot!

Howard struggled mightily this year, Madison is know to be terrible in the slot, and Edwards is only good outside when we're playing press. So my question is what do we for dime packages if we're going to be carrying these 4 CBs. Usually 5th CB is inactive even if we draft a smaller slot corner. This is the only flaw I've seen in Saban's defensive moves.

I think its a valid point.

Howard was terrible in the slot vs NE in the SB a couple years back. He clearly doesnt have the speed or insticnts to play inside.

Madison, like you said, is bad in the slot cause he simply doesnt have the footspeed to catch up.

As a result is it possible that we will see a NE like Zone scheme that takes away the big play?

Jaj said:
We currently have 4 CBs that I could definitely see on the final 2005 roster, however there is a problem. Who's going to play nickel and dime? No really we lack CBs for that.

Howard struggled mightily this year, Madison is know to be terrible in the slot, and Edwards is only good outside when we're playing press. So my question is what do we for dime packages if we're going to be carrying these 4 CBs. Usually 5th CB is inactive even if we draft a smaller slot corner. This is the only flaw I've seen in Saban's defensive moves.

Excellent points. Any possible cuts after the draft?

BTW, you can add me to the AW bandwagon. I recommend putting it like this though: Gonzo (ASU student bias)

I think Edwards could play the slot. Madison can press if you put him in the Nickel. I don't think he's that bad in the Dime slot but he's not a possession back so I think he gives up a lot of physicality.

Otherwise I'd use like a base zone and press the safeties constantly.

Jaj said:

It's a good point.

Madison and Howard will start. Poole in the nickel, and for the time being Edwards is the dime back. That may change if a guy like Corey Webster is around in the 3rd.

I think we are planning to get after the QB more than ever this season and do short zones designed for big plays to happen. I expect to see on CB cut before the season starts also. Edwards might be able to learn the slot in a dime situation. I think we start Poole and put him at the nickel back spot in nickel coverages. The Texans did the same with Dunta Robinson last year, he started but also played the nickel.

I think If Nick can find a way to make the line produce pressure we would make life better for the secondary. I think that would allow Saban to move people around in the secondary to find how plays best at which position. I think Saban brought in Edwards and Tillman for depth and to have a little room for some creativity, I'll bet we see some things this year on D that we have not seen before and we have not seen it before that means that the teams we play have not seen it before.CB is not what worries me it's saftey that I'm hoping we fill in the draft.

If there is anything you should not worry about, it should be the D now that you have Saban. It may take time but based on what he's done in the past, it should be a faster process compared to other teams.

Jaj said:

Your point is well taken and a welcome break from all the draft blah-blah but I think it's a bit premature. I have a firm belief that our defense is going to look nothing like we've seen in the last 10-15 years scheme-wise. There are going to be players in spots we havent seen. Saban has already hinted at playing a combination of man and zone. He said that part of playing defense is that you have to try and confuse the quarterback. You can't just line up your guys against their guys and hope the best man wins (hint hint). You have to disguise things. I hope these dogs can learn new tricks because or D is going to be vastly different. I think that's a more pressing (no pun intended) concern that the personnel.

Back
Top Bottom