The Pach's 2021 Defensive Ends (Underclassman) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Pach's 2021 Defensive Ends (Underclassman)

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
1. Jayson Oweh** / Penn St. / 6’5”, 255

2. Joe Tryon-Shoyinka / Washington / 6’5”, 262

3. Ronnie Perkins / Oklahoma / 6’3”, 251

4. Greg Rousseau** / Miami / 6’6”, 260

5. Joshua Kaindoh / Florida St. / 6’7”, 261

6. Chris Rumph / Duke / 6’4”, 235

7. Wyatt Hubert / Kansas St. / 6’3”, 265

8. Milton Williams / LA-Tech / 6’4”, 271

Last edited:
The U has always had talent...draftable talent. The record is indicative of poor HC hires and poor QB coaches.

Only 6 Dlinemen from the SEC in your top ten of their respective rankings. Dang. Its usually littered with SEC players. Big drop off in talent this year?

Only 6 Dlinemen from the SEC in your top ten of their respective rankings. Dang. Its usually littered with SEC players. Big drop off in talent this year?

I see a drop off in depth in the SEC of draft eligible defensive lineman in this class, compared to most years. However, a couple of these kids from the SEC can move into the top 10. It's not talent they're lacking it's understanding what they're doing and producing up to their talent level.

There's still going to be elite DL talent in the SEC, a lot of 'em just aren't quite draft eligible yet. Some will be seeing the field for the first time. The ACC is pretty thick with quality, experienced, productive DL players in this class.

The U has always had talent...draftable talent. The record is indicative of poor HC hires and poor QB coaches.

They haven't had top end talent recently. Nobody drafted earlier than the third round since 2017. Appalachian State had two players drafted last week before the first Canes draftee. Next season will be the first time in years that Miami will have several highly rated prospects.

Rosseau looks like an LSU athlete. I think I mentioned that here before he ever started a game. The Miami coaching staff was very hesitant to make him a starter, even though the physique and talent level were obvious. I found out only recently that LSU was the first school to offer him. Yeah, no kidding. Exactly the type of lean upside athlete they always prioritize. Rousseau played wide receiver and safety in high school so he was a projection to defensive end, even though that's how the Canes recruited him. Then he got hurt as true freshman and redshirted. Last year he finally started in midseason and was slithering around the edge all season. Now it's just a matter of whether be builds on that or if some weaknesses show up once he's under greater scrutiny. The only negative that has come up a few times is that the coaching staff thinks he is almost too nice out there. Supposedly Manny Diaz didn't think Rousseau was nasty enough in practice and that's why he didn't think he would stand up as full time starter.

Actually the same theme held up in spring practice this year, during the handful of practices prior to cancellation due to coronavirus. Jalean Phillips supposedly looked better than Rousseau or the Temple transfer or anyone else out there. Not entirely shocking. Phillips is a wild card for the 2021 draft, or the 2022 draft. He was a 5 star recruit to UCLA a few years ago and some services had him as the number one recruit in the country. Very rare combination of speed and power. He led the SPARQ testing in the power throw along with running 4.65. Phillips had two injury plagued seasons at UCLA then decided to retire from football. Eventually he had second thoughts and transferred to Miami. His build is actually similar to Rousseau. Phillips played outside linebacker in a 3-4 at UCLA. The Canes are moving him back to his natural position of defensive end, even though the roster is already loaded there. Phillips has bulked up since transferring to Miami and back to the defensive end position.

They haven't had top end talent recently. Nobody drafted earlier than the third round since 2017. Appalachian State had two players drafted last week before the first Canes draftee. Next season will be the first time in years that Miami will have several highly rated prospects.

Rosseau looks like an LSU athlete. I think I mentioned that here before he ever started a game. The Miami coaching staff was very hesitant to make him a starter, even though the physique and talent level were obvious. I found out only recently that LSU was the first school to offer him. Yeah, no kidding. Exactly the type of lean upside athlete they always prioritize. Rousseau played wide receiver and safety in high school so he was a projection to defensive end, even though that's how the Canes recruited him. Then he got hurt as true freshman and redshirted. Last year he finally started in midseason and was slithering around the edge all season. Now it's just a matter of whether be builds on that or if some weaknesses show up once he's under greater scrutiny. The only negative that has come up a few times is that the coaching staff thinks he is almost too nice out there. Supposedly Manny Diaz didn't think Rousseau was nasty enough in practice and that's why he didn't think he would stand up as full time starter.

Actually the same theme held up in spring practice this year, during the handful of practices prior to cancellation due to coronavirus. Jalean Phillips supposedly looked better than Rousseau or the Temple transfer or anyone else out there. Not entirely shocking. Phillips is a wild card for the 2021 draft, or the 2022 draft. He was a 5 star recruit to UCLA a few years ago and some services had him as the number one recruit in the country. Very rare combination of speed and power. He led the SPARQ testing in the power throw along with running 4.65. Phillips had two injury plagued seasons at UCLA then decided to retire from football. Eventually he had second thoughts and transferred to Miami. His build is actually similar to Rousseau. Phillips played outside linebacker in a 3-4 at UCLA. The Canes are moving him back to his natural position of defensive end, even though the roster is already loaded there. Phillips has bulked up since transferring to Miami and back to the defensive end position.
The Hurricanes haven't had top end talent...but most who aren't football factories don't. The Canes are producing NFL level talent and that NFL level talent is worth a bowl game every year, at the very least.

That isn't even a given. BTW, how many players has Appalachian State had drafted in the last 15 years?

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...have-produced-most-active-nfl-players?slide=8

Gregory Rosseau is an absolute monster.

I also hope to see Xavier Thomas really breakout next year, he was miscast in the 3-4 looks Venables used last year and his numbers didn't pop off the screen, but his initial 1st step is pretty damn good and has top end talent to be able to show NFL stuff.

Granted he has trouble staying healthy but Joshua Kaindoh has a nice look to him.

Naturally big, explosive guy who is firstly a good run defender and football player, and then you add onto it some of the natural ability he has to press on a blocker...pretty good.

His first step out of his stance must be two whole feet ahead of his hand. At 6'7" & 261 lbs? Woof woof.

Any thoughts on Pittsburgh's Rashad Weaver. He's looked good since coming back from injury this season.

But where do you see Roche drafted? 10-15?
I'm not sure yet. DE is tricky this year. It is a little to early for me to try to specially nail down a range on certain players. But I will say this draft is going to be very exciting for our organization.

I see a drop off in depth in the SEC of draft eligible defensive lineman in this class, compared to most years. However, a couple of these kids from the SEC can move into the top 10. It's not talent they're lacking it's understanding what they're doing and producing up to their talent level.

For LaBryan Ray it's a matter of staying healthy and actually being on the field. You can't produce if you're always hurt. Talent isn't the question.

Back
Top Bottom