The Pach's 2021 Offensive Line (Seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Pach's 2021 Offensive Line (Seniors)

For a late-round Center, I was a really big fan of Brian Allen of Michigan State a couple years back. But he was under-sized and that was his big failing.

I started taking a look at his brother Matt Allen, and he's got the nastiness and hand use of his brother, but looks more physically endowed. I think he's a nice late-round Center to take a look at as well.

David Moore from Grambling lacks length but he's athletic and has nastiness in abundance. Could be fun to watch in Mobile this week.

David Moore from Grambling lacks length but he's athletic and has nastiness in abundance. Could be fun to watch in Mobile this week.

Not sure if I like this kid more on the field or off. This is the type of player I recruit.

Horrible sounds coming from that video by the way.

Been going through all of the Senior Bowl equivalent of the All-22 footage for the National team, paying particular mind to the OL/DL matchups.

There are some players that I didn't really know that I needed to go back and look at, but now I do.

First is Quinn Meinerz of Wisconsin-Whitewater. Pach, he's one for the list. He's got everybody buzzing. He was a LG there but Dolphins coaches have been cross training him at Center and he's been phenomenal. He came in 6032 & 320 lbs, and he carries it really well. He has 33" arms and better than 10" hands. I'd cite the wing span but I swear they did something with the wing span measurements this year they somehow screwed them up. But anyway. Nasty as hell, was burying Levi Onwuzurike and Osa Odighizuwa into the dirt, and nobody else could do that to Onwuzurike. Very mobile, very athletic looking. There's just a level of fight in him that you can tell translates.

But another guy I'm going to have to go back and watch is Spencer Brown of Northern Iowa. I didn't know anything about him but he's practicing really, really well. He measured 6084 and 315 lbs. and for a guy that is 6'8.5" he really doesn't come off on tape like he's built awkwardly tall or anything like that. I've seen plenty of too-tall looking tackles that aren't built for good leverage. He's not that, at all. Really good lateral movement, good hand use, natural heaviness to him, just a smooth player who is more than holding his own in drills that should favor the defensive player. He bumped up from facing FCS players to facing guys like Rashad Weaver, Daelin Hayes, Ade Ogundeji, Jonathan Cooper, Tarron Jackson, and Shaka Toney...and he's the one dominating them.

I've mentioned DIllon Radunz of North Dakota State before. The thing about this practice footage that really hits you hard, something you already know but with this footage you can really just see how deep the rabbit hole goes on this one, is how GOOD he would be in a zone scheme. His lateral burst is phenomenal. On these zone plays he and the left guard are both supposed to be moving lateral at the same time and he's practically mowing over his own linemate within two steps. He fared well, overall, in the pit drills. He does well in pass pro (didn't let up a sack in 2019). But it's this mobility that will intrigue all these teams that are going to try some variation of Kyle Shanahan's system this year. He's really punchy, feisty, too. That shows up on NDSU tape and it's there in practice footage too. He measured 6055 & 304 lbs., with 33.25" arms, just over 9" hands. Good measurements for the FCS kid. Importantly, the pure strength looks like he fits right in among these guys, and that's the thing that would be hard to tell from FCS footage.

This guy is one that Pach has on his underclassmen list, but I hadn't looked at, and that's James Hudson of Cincinnati. The first thing that stands out about him is you're seeing all these OLs who look like OLs and then you see a guy line up at right and left tackle who looks like a tight end. He measured well, 6043 & 302 lbs. with 33" arms and amazing 11" hands. And he shows strength and anchor in these practice reps. But he carries the weight like a defensive end (his former position) or a tight end. He moves like that too. He was one of the guys in practice that was just mostly unassailable.

The last guy I'll mention here is Robert Hainsey from Notre Dame and that's just because I hadn't looked at him. I saw them play this guy at Center, at Left Guard, at Right Guard, and Right Tackle. And no matter where he went, he won the rep. There's not anything about his build or mobility that reaches out and grabs you. He measured 6044 & 302 lbs. with 32" arms and nearly 10" hands. But he's just really smart, really well coached, uses his hands well, and anchors really well. He's not a guy that you'd say is sexy for the zone like Dillon Radunz, but he clearly is a guy who's no stranger to zone blocking.

Suppose I should mention that Creed Humphrey of Oklahoma and Aaron Banks of Notre Dame looked themselves. There's nothing about what they did out there that felt like they gave me new information.

I have Meinerz as my #5 Center right now in my composite rankings. I think he's probably better than underclassman Josh Meyers, and more of a natural fit at center than Trey Hill who projects better as a guard. I think Meinerz is the last center drafted on day 3 that has a shot to make a roster at the next level.

Spencer Brown doesn't interest me much. He reminds me a lot of the kid from South Carolina St. last year Alex Taylor that measured 6'8", 308 with 36" arms and got a lot of hype. Smaller school guy that looks the part due to length but struggles with leverage.

Hudson can play, but you have to watch the penalties. He committed a bonehead targeting penalty out of bounds in the bowl game against Georgia and got ejected. Stuff like that drives me crazy.

I've always kinda felt like Alex Leatherwood may move back to guard at the next level like he did in 2018 for Bama. I think he can be more of a dominant force there. As opposed to just surviving and being a JAG at tackle. It doesn't really impress me when somebody beats him out there on the edge playing tackle.

Hainsey played RT for Notre Dame, but he's another kid that I believe looks more superior at guard in most schemes.

Dan Moore (Texas A&M) is a kid that I've always really liked on tape and believe has always been an underrated guy. He's going to play well at the next level in my opinion.

Based on what I'm seeing I think Quinn Meinerz is better than that.

And I'm not sure that's a fair characterization of Spencer Brown. I think Brown has phenomenal knee bend for a 6084 guy. Guess we will see.

Alex Taylor is a tall guy too, that part of it is a fair comp.

But, to me, this is waist bend, not knee bend.

1611852152535.png

To me, this is knee bend.

1611852227391.png

The 6'8.5" guy has the best pad level on the line and it's not waist bend. I think that's attractive.

1611852634955.png

You wouldn't have to worry about me stealing him from you if you want him.

Best watched on mute.

I figured out who David Moore reminds me of. He reminds me of an FCS version of Rodney Hudson coming out of Florida St. I was a big Rodney Hudson guy in the draft and saw him in high school twice when he played for B.C Rain. And like Hudson, I think Moore needs to move to Center in the NFL. I think he has some footwork issues at guard that seem to dissipate when he's on the pivot. Interesting player.

He's got a whole lot of innate power that showed itself in a bunch of this practice footage once he could get his hands right.

It looked pretty ugly at the beginning of these practices but it got a lot better.

Dillon Radunz won the "best overall practice player of the week" at the Senior Bowl. That's out of players from both squads.

Not sure if I like this kid more on the field or off. This is the type of player I recruit.

Horrible sounds coming from that video by the way.
I figured out who David Moore reminds me of. He reminds me of an FCS version of Rodney Hudson coming out of Florida St. I was a big Rodney Hudson guy in the draft and saw him in high school twice when he played for B.C Rain. And like Hudson, I think Moore needs to move to Center in the NFL. I think he has some footwork issues at guard that seem to dissipate when he's on the pivot. Interesting player.

Back
Top Bottom