5. Shane Buechele / SMU / 6’1”, 207

6. Jaime Newman / Georgia / 6’3”, 235

7. Feleipe Franks / Arkansas / 6'6", 234

8. Ian Book / Notre Dame / 6’0”, 210

9. Peyton Ramsey / Northwestern / 6'2", 220

10. Sam Ehlinger / Texas / 6’1”, 222

Last edited:
I forgot Jake Bentley transferred.

What that family went through needs to be commended, him dealing with toxic SCAR fans didn't help. Getting back to the west coast is what they needed.

Really hoping we see Collin Hill this year. Big favorite of mine, very unfortunate string of knee injuries.

Wow extremely low on king. King is a good prospect

Injury prone + very small is a bad enough combination. Add onto it low arm strength, velocity, and an inconsistent career...oof.
I think you have consistently made too much of arm strength and velocity. I see a guy who is accurate and can make plays with his legs. That’s usually a winning combo

It’s still a little unclear as to whether Trask is really good enough to stay atop this ranking, or whether he’s just that much better than Felipe Franks.

Trask needs to work on being more mobile - he’s just not a twitchy athlete at all. Nothing about him or his game stands out. However, consistency, size, decision making and intangibles may be enough to be the top Senior in this class if he can learn to play a little faster. Furthermore, he just doesn’t get much on his throws in terms of velocity.

But when you study the analytics vs Power 5 competition, Trask leads the Seniors in this list. He just gets the job done.

D’Eriq King was good enough to keep Trask on the bench in high school - but I see a lot of things on tape with him that I don’t feel project all that well to the next level.

It’s still a little unclear as to whether Trask is really good enough to stay atop this ranking, or whether he’s just that much better than Felipe Franks.

Trask needs to work on being more mobile - he’s just not a twitchy athlete at all. Nothing about him or his game stands out. However, consistency, size, decision making and intangibles may be enough to be the top Senior in this class if he can learn to play a little faster. Furthermore, he just doesn’t get much on his throws in terms of velocity.

But when you study the analytics vs Power 5 competition, Trask leads the Seniors in this list. He just gets the job done.

D’Eriq King was good enough to keep Trask on the bench in high school - but I see a lot of things on tape with him that I don’t feel project all that well to the next level.
I'm just being biased because I'm a Gator guy, other than that i agree with him not being an NFL caliber QB, maybe backup quality but not starter. I actually like Emory Jones more than Trask.

I'm just being biased because I'm a Gator guy, other than that i agree with him not being an NFL caliber QB, maybe backup quality but not starter. I actually like Emory Jones more than Trask.

I've watched film on all these Senior quarterbacks in preparation for this list until I just couldn't watch anymore. I've had 7 different quarterbacks in this thread sit atop this list before creating this thread. I'm more uncertain about the rankings in this thread than I am any of my others. They all have something the other doesn't. They all have weaknesses that could prevent them from ever becoming elite quarterbacks. They've all faced entirely different levels of competition.

Eventually I had to just settle for the analytics work in order to settle on a ranking. I'm never comfortable when I have to do that. The most physically talented kids like Kellen Mond just don't get the job done - and the one's that get the job done are on the borderline of the requisite physical skills needed for me to consider them legitimate NFL caliber quarterbacks with starting potential.

I'm always extremely uncomfortable when I can't make clear separation on film and must revert to analytics.

1. Kyle Trask / Florida / 6’5”, 239

2. Jaime Newman / Georgia / 6’4”, 230 (Transferred from Wake Forest)

3. Anthony Russo / Temple / 6’4”, 235

4. Kellen Mond / Texas A&M / 6’3”, 217

5. Sam Ehlinger / Texas / 6’3”, 230

6. Kenny Pickett / Pittsburgh / 6’2”, 225

7. Jack Coan / Wisconsin / 6’3”, 221

8. Ian Book / Notre Dame / 6’0”, 212

9. Collin Hill / S. Carolina / 6’5”, 214 (Transferred from Colorado St.)

10. Jarrett Guarantano / Tennessee / 6’4”, 213

View attachment 45539

11. K.J. Costello / Miss. St. / 6’5”, 222 (Transferred from Stanford)

12. Shane Buechele / SMU / 6’1”, 207

13. Dustin Crum / Kent St. / 6’3”, 201

View attachment 45540

14. Charlie Brewer / Baylor / 6’1”, 206

15. Jack Abraham / S. Miss / 6’0”, 204

16. Brady White / Memphis / 6’3”, 215

17. D’Eriq King / Miami / 5’11”, 195 (Transferred from Houston)

18. Jake Bentley / Utah / 6’4”, 220 (Transferred from S. Carolina)

19. Drew Plitt / Ball St. / 6’2”, 215

20. Peyton Ramsey / N’Western / 6’2”, 216 (Transferred from Indiana)

21. Armani Rogers / UNLV / 6’5”, 225

22. Brandon Peters / Illinois / 6’5”, 220

Man Jake Bentley's stock freefell, didn't it? I remember a time when he was getting hype from everyone as potentially a high draft pick. I think he was near the top of your underclassmen lists before either this year or the previous one too. Kinda reminded me some of the Shea Patterson or Christian Hackenburg hype after their first seasons and they just never built on it and regressed.

Last edited:
Strong opinions, weakly held.

That's the preferred philosophy for all the great forecasters in my industry.

You're right, at one point Jake Bentley looked like he could develop into a strong prospect. He didn't. But the book isn't shut on him yet so let's see.

Strong opinions, weakly held.

That's the preferred philosophy for all the great forecasters in my industry.

You're right, at one point Jake Bentley looked like he could develop into a strong prospect. He didn't. But the book isn't shut on him yet so let's see.

Yeah, wasn't criticizing. Just observing. Seems it's tough to make that leap from "this guy looks like he might have it" to actually being that guy based on what I've seen with a lot of the promising first year starter guys.

Back
Top Bottom