The Pach's 2021 Quarterbacks (Seniors) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Pach's 2021 Quarterbacks (Seniors)

(here's a bit more long-form on Bailey Zappe)

In a senior QB class that looks like trash to me, Bailey Zappe of Houston Baptist is a legit standout.

Versatile arm. Can really pull the string when he needs to, can throw it sidearm if he needs to, can execute throws at really awkward angles on the move, drops the ball into the dead spot in the zones, can throw the big moon ball and let a receiver run under it, and then if you just stand him up and give him footwork to execute, he can throw the heater as well. Throws it with dudes right in his face. Pretty much everything you could want.

Lively feet. He's not an athlete but it's not Game Over when you get him on the move. He's very confident with what he can do with the football as a thrower on the move. He uses his feet to trick a defense.

Four-year starter, two-year standout. That fits. He's 6'2" & 215 lbs (listed that way and he's verified it in interview). That fits. He was a Walter Payton semi-finalist in 2019. That fits.

This year was unique, as he was one of the few FCS teams that were able to play some games, agreeing to play three opponents in the FBS. So what did he do? He elevated his game. He took Texas Tech to the WIRE and nearly beat them. Threw for 572 yards and 4 TDs in THEIR stadium. Scored a bunch of points on La Tech and North Texas. He beat Eastern Kentucky.

Coached by OC/QB Coach Zach Kittley, who was a student assistant coach under Kliff Kingsbury in 2013, then became an offensive Graduate Assistant for three years 2014, 2015, and 2016. Kittley coached the likes of Baker Mayfield, Davis Webb, and Patrick Mahomes. That's what makes it interesting that in an interview about who he compares himself to, Zappe said he looks at Baker Mayfield and Patrick Mahomes.

He’s one of the best I’ve been around,” said Kittley, who was assistant quarterbacks coach at Texas Tech under Kliff Kingsbury before coming to HBU. “This offense is predicated around him and what he can do. Leading us into the right plays, getting us in the right checks.

“If he sees something he doesn’t like, he’s done a phenomenal job of seeing the defense and getting us into some plays that we need to be in.”

He has a reputation, known and acknowledged among the coaches, for turning it up a notch when he faces an FBS team. And he might have played his greatest game against the Big 12 opponent Texas Tech, in their home stadium. Zappe's statistics against FBS opponents are actually better than his statistics against FCS opponents.

FBS 2020 (La Tech): 37 of 58 for 406 yards, 5 TD, 1 INT
FBS 2020 (Texas Tech): 30 of 49 for 567 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT
FBS 2020 (North Texas): 39 of 62 for 480 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT
FBS 2019 (UTEP): 27 of 37 for 300 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT
FBS 2018 (SMU): 27 of 49 for 226 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT
FBS 2017 (Texas State): 21 of 34 for 199 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

Total FBS: 181 of 289 for 2,178 yards, 16 TD, 2 INT (101 Passer Rating)
Total FCS: 569 of 922 for 6,288 yards, 57 TD, 27 INT (90 Passer Rating)

Zappe only had one offer coming out of High School...to HBU. Has his degree in marketing, working on his Masters.

First thing that I noticed about Bailey was not his arm strength or anything, but just how smart he is,” HBU receiver Jerreth Sterns said. “He’s just real smart and it was like separating from all the other quarterbacks – he knows the checks to make, knows the defense they’re in. That’s when I realized he was going to be something serious.”

I don’t limit anything for him, he can handle anything that I ask of him to handle,” Kittley said. “He gets the script, he takes it home, he studies it to where on Saturdays, I might be signaling in a play and I’m halfway through and he already knows.”

By this point in his career, Shealy estimates that Zappe calls almost two-thirds of the plays just with his pre-snap checks and changes at the line, a staple of the most effective air raid systems. Uncoincidentally, the offense also jumped nearly 200 yards per game en route to becoming one of the nation’s best.

“Bailey is very much a coach on the field and I think he’s able to take our scheme and it fits him because it allows him to be the driving machine behind it all,” Shealy said.

While college football might be overlooking Zappe, the next level is not. NFL scouts from the Raiders, Packers and Seahawks have already started doing their due-diligence – and those are three franchises that know something about quarterbacks.

However, his best endorsement might be from Kittley, who came to Houston Baptist after working closely with NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes and Davis Webb at Texas Tech. He knows what professional quarterbacks look like.

“He can do it all,” Kittley said. “He’s light on his feet, he’s got great pocket awareness, and really just being able to see him operate an offense...there’s zero doubt in my mind that Bailey Zappe is going to be an NFL guy.”

Here's the shorthand on Bailey Zappe:
  • Every throw. Pull the string, drop it into zone, moon ball, heater, quick hit, tight window, sidearm, awkward angle on the run. Every throw is on the tape.
  • Consistent history of turning it up against FBS opponents, leading to a phenomenal performance against Texas Tech in their own house in 2020.
  • His coach is a Kingsbury protege who coached Mahomes, Webb, and Mayfield.
  • He doesn't quite have the quick feet of Jimmy Garoppolo, but a Tony Romo comparison would not be far out of line.
Those are the idiosyncratic things that help define Bailey Zappe as a prospect, and help you remember how he's different from the crowd.

Last edited:
So are Mac Jones and Kyle Trask fools gold ? One of the two (probably Jones) will win the Heisman, surely. Will a team overdraft them ? Or will someone be getting a steal ?

I haven't seen much outside of highlight real stuff of Jones, until yesterday. I've watched every throw of Trask's college career. Both to me a prospects from a different era, I'm shocked at how much Trask has developed during his career and his can a football brain, he accurate with the ball, doesn't have a rocket arm but it's good enough. It's the lack of athleticism that going to drop his stock. I saw a very similar QB on the bad guys team yesterday. Can either of these guys make it in today's NFL ? What's their ceiling. Saw jones mocked in the 2nd to the Pats on one of the websites, that seems way too high for me and something I wouldn't mind seeing happen.

What do you guys think ?

I think Trask will be taken in the first round. Jones goes not too far behind, probably second round

Mac Jones and Trask are beasts - and they're a dying breed. Kids now don't want to work for it. They just transfer out and go somewhere else instead of competing.

Mac Jones and Trask both put in the work to get better and did it the hard way. They didn't run from competition. The result is they're both the best at actually playing the position in the entire country, although a couple others may be considered better physical talents. When I watch Mac and Trask I see two guys that know how to play the position with their feet and eyes from the pocket. That's what you have to learn how to do in the NFL eventually - no matter who you are.

I think they both have a chance to play 10 years if you put good players around 'em.

Mac Jones and Trask are beasts - and they're a dying breed. Kids now don't want to work for it. They just transfer out and go somewhere else instead of competing.

Mac Jones and Trask both put in the work to get better and did it the hard way. They didn't run from competition. The result is they're both the best at actually playing the position in the entire country, although a couple others may be considered better physical talents. When I watch Mac and Trask I see two guys that know how to play the position with their feet and eyes from the pocket. That's what you have to learn how to do in the NFL eventually - no matter who you are.

I think they both have a chance to play 10 years if you put good players around 'em.
You always put an interesting spin on things based on perspective and at least to a degree historical relativity.
I like that. Tho in this case I predict Mac Jones is beyond maxed out. And is it me or is he a rather dorky looking
athlete? His body is girlish and smacks of Gumby impersonating a surfboard (I mean the kid has ZERO glutes
and pencil legs). Tho of course my impression is superficial in comparison to your endless hours slobbering
though 'bama film and mythology. But historically 'bama QBs deflate in the Pros and I'll offer another crisp
$100 that Mac is yet another deflater (terms and conditions of such to be defined). Bottom line IMO -- Mac is
the quintessential college poster boy of a system QB and will be aggressively exposed in the Pros.

You always put an interesting spin on things based on perspective and at least to a degree historical relativity.
I like that. Tho in this case I predict Mac Jones is beyond maxed out. And is it me or is he a rather dorky looking
athlete? His body is girlish and smacks of Gumby impersonating a surfboard (I mean the kid has ZERO glutes
and pencil legs). Tho of course my impression is superficial in comparison to your endless hours slobbering
though 'bama film and mythology. But historically 'bama QBs deflate in the Pros and I'll offer another crisp
$100 that Mac is yet another deflater (terms and conditions of such to be defined). Bottom line IMO -- Mac is
the quintessential college poster boy of a system QB and will be aggressively exposed in the Pros.

Well, you pretty much just described Tom Brady and for the most part - 95% of all other QB’s that have ever amounted to anything in the NFL.

I realize it’s your schtick to trash quarterbacks that play for Alabama, but Mac Jones ain’t Gino Torretta or Ken Dorsey. Mac will play in the pros.

I wouldn’t bet $100 on him in that sense - However, I will bet you $100 that he makes more plays in the NFL than that stump DROYkwan that some of you like to pretend is Richard Seymour.

Your problem is - you don’t get anything right to even have your posts taken seriously. I’m just a nice guy.

Your problem is - you don’t get anything right to even have your posts taken seriously. I’m just a nice guy.
:lol:

So says the guy who makes lists with hundreds of college prospects per position
so he can go back and tell everyone "see I had that guy on my list!"

Mac Jones has ZERO chance of being a legit NFL QB and you know it!

If you don't you ain't as bright as you think you are!

True Story!

BNF

:lol:

So says the guy who makes lists with hundreds of college prospects per position
so he can go back and tell everyone "see I had that guy on my list!"

Mac Jones has ZERO chance of being a legit NFL QB and you know it!

If you don't you ain't as bright as you think you are!

True Story!

BNF

Nobody can really figure out what you do

other than play on the internet all day

while barking out

preposterous takes on all things football

related.

Sounds like you’re wanting to bet that

Mac Jones won’t be drafted or won’t

make a roster in the NFL. I’m admittedly

not very

bright

but I could probably be suckered into

betting $100 on each one of

those.

while barking out

related.

not very

bright

those.

For a second there, I thought this was gonna be a rap diss.

while barking out

related.

not very

bright

those.
Of course he'll get drafted and fake a roster spot for gawd nose how long
but never ever prove to be anything more than Gumby impersonating
a surfboard.

$100 the kid doesn't nail down a starting NFL QB job and keep it for
a season with a winning record. Considering what he's been given
in Alabama that should be easy peasy for him, yes?

Of course he'll get drafted and fake a roster spot for gawd nose how long
but never ever prove to be anything more than Gumby impersonating
a surfboard.

$100 the kid doesn't nail down a starting NFL QB job and keep it for
a season with a winning record. Considering what he's been given
in Alabama that should be easy peasy for him, yes?

I wouldn’t bet on any of these QB’s as a winning starter. No idea what his team’s record will be even if he did start. But Mac10 won’t shy away from the competition.

He profiles as more of a backup/spot starter in my opinion, but to say he has no shot to play in the NFL is absurd. That was your assertion - not that he was going to be a winning starter. Even Rosen, Marinobert and the LSShoe gimp haven’t shown to be able to do any of those things you prescribed yet.

I wouldn’t bet on any of these QB’s as a winning starter. No idea what his team’s record will be even if he did start. But Mac10 won’t shy away from the competition.

He profiles as more of a backup/spot starter in my opinion, but to say he has no shot to play in the NFL is absurd. That was your assertion - not that he was going to be a winning starter. Even Rosen, Marinobert and the LSShoe gimp haven’t shown to be able to do any of those things you prescribed yet.
You're a smart man for not taking that bet.

As I said, he'll land a fake roster spot (as a backup) and eventually
prove nothing other than the fact he has no business in Pro ball.

I don't even think he's good enough to be legit in Canada.

You're a smart man for not taking that bet.

As I said, he'll land a fake roster spot (as a backup) and eventually
prove nothing other than the fact he has no business in Pro ball.

I don't even think he's good enough to be legit in Canada.

Well thank you that means a lot. You’re not a very smart man for proposing it though.

If he’s as poor of a prospect as you say he is then it makes sense to bet that way. You haven’t yet.

Well thank you that means a lot. You’re not a very smart man for proposing it though.

If he’s as poor of a prospect as you say he is then it makes sense to bet that way. You haven’t yet.
I bet to win. And win easily. Like our last bet.

My l'il stack of $100s in the closet are evidence of my approach!

You obviously don't believe in Gumby enough to make an aggressive bet.

I can respect that.

I bet to win. And win easily. Like our last bet.

My l'il stack of $100s in the closet are evidence of my approach!

You obviously don't believe in Gumby enough to make an aggressive bet.

I can respect that.

I’ll make an aggressive bet on him, you won’t. Bet Mac10 won’t stick on a roster or see a second contract - or ever start a game in the NFL. Or pass for 150 yards. Come up with something. There’s plenty of room for you to win on a prospect that poor.

Bet he won’t make more plays than Droykwan. Hell all Mac10’s gotta make is one to win that.

If the criteria you laid out is getting exposed in the NFL - well then they’re all getting exposed.

Well...all except for the short fat kid with the weak arm and artificial hip. Having to bear witness to that kinda stuff every Sunday can really stick in your craw can’t it.

Back
Top Bottom