The Pach's 2021 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Pach's 2021 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Holton Ahlers is going to be on that Joe Burrow come up in 2020 if we have a season. We got a stud QB from Myrtle Beach coming in 2021, Ahlers just going to the damn thing this year and hand it over to the kid in 2021.

Hope I'm right at least, its gonna suck if our first player to be drafted in a few years is going to be a kicker in 2021, but at least hes good

Ryen Russillo had Daniel Jeremiah on a recent podcast. Based on three games for each QB, DJ picked Lance as his highest graded QB. Can throw and run and simply doesn’t turn it over.

He had Lawrence second. Loves the power in the arm and ability to run but he needs to clean up accuracy. Gets bailed out by his receivers, who mostly have a large catch radius.

Likes Justin Fields next on the list. Referred to his ridiculous numbers. Made a comparison in terms of physical stature and sturdiness to Dak Prescott.

DJ also told some interesting stories from his days as a scout.

Reactions: A1.
Ryen Russillo had Daniel Jeremiah on a recent podcast. Based on three games for each QB, DJ picked Lance as his highest graded QB. Can throw and run and simply doesn’t turn it over.

He had Lawrence second. Loves the power in the arm and ability to run but he needs to clean up accuracy. Gets bailed out by his receivers, who mostly have a large catch radius.

Likes Justin Fields next on the list. Referred to his ridiculous numbers. Made a comparison in terms of physical stature and sturdiness to Dak Prescott.

DJ also told some interesting stories from his days as a scout.

prescott has been a comp to fields of mine as well. Not college Prescott, but where dak is now I think is a good comp for fields.

I think dak has reached most of his potential, where fields hasn’t touched his yet.

My thing with Fields is put him on his ten yard line in the 4th quarter on the road behind by a score against a good defense who can contain and pressure on the edges. Can he drop back, make his reads and march the team down the field to score and win? Remember how Marino did that age 38 at Seattle in the playoffs? I just do not think Fields has it in him. He can be a good QB and maybe he will develop past what I said. Anybody committed can improve and he’s a young man. I have my doubts about elite but he can be a decent qb.

It's interesting because a few weeks ago guys like Justin Fields, Trey Lance, K.J. Costello and Jaime Newman were counselors at the Elite 11. They all took part in several workouts, pro day type reps, competitions, and drills.

Among observers, Trey Lance would've ranked last among those 4, with Justin Fields being the clearly superior talent and performer. Lance really struggled on the first day especially.

It's likely that amateurs (and some pros) are getting a little ahead of themselves in regards to Trey Lance. His upside can be really good, if he continues growth and fix his mechanical flaws. But he's nowhere near being put through the meat grinder yet that some of these others have been through.

Seeing the Missouri Valley conference is cancelling fall season, perhaps moving it to the Spring.

Can he still transfer?

If so, where? LSU?

Gut instinct says he'll start prepping for the draft. It's the obvious move.

His stock is high. So much could wrong if he tried transferring but then, maybe he has some balls.

I do feel like people are getting ahead of themselves with Trey Lance.

Well this is the time of year for doing that.

All we can see is his potential and how good he could be.

We have not seen him not meet that potential and fall back to where he probably belongs.

But you can't argue with his tools, he really could be good eventually.

Regarding Trevor Lawrence, I've seen more than enough to believe in the kid. Big, strong, a 2-year starter so far and makes plays when most needed.

I do see the criticism about his receivers and catch radius. His performance against Alabama in the 2019 title game was great, but misleading in that he didn't have much pressure in his face and he was largely throwing from a clean pocket. Any QB as highly regarded as he is should perform well under those circumstances -- even as a late season freshman. And his 2019 season didn't overly impress.

However, I was super impressed by his performance in the playoff against Ohio State, who arguably had one of the better defenses (and secondaries) in all of college football. While Clemson got some help with the ejection of Shaun Wade, their game plan allowed him to catch the Buckeyes by surprise with his legs. I really didn't know he had that ability as a runner. Deceptively fast. And he had to be in that game. They often leveraged Lawrence's legs to help keep Chase Young off balance and make him hesitate and make decisions on the option.

That one game really sold me on Trevor Lawrence. Especially when he came back from that hard hit by Wade and pretty much made every play when his team needed it most.

Regarding Justin Fields, I was a cautiously optimistic Buckeyes fan when he first transferred in. However the point where I really became sold was the Michigan game when came back in and made a huge play after injuring his knee. It showed a lot of mental and physical toughness. Then the icing on the cake was his performance against Clemson -- who also boasts a top defense with lots of athletes and speed.

While he did throw 2 interceptions, he played well enough against that defense to sell me. Especially considering he wasn't 100% and wasn't fully able to utilize his legs. The game ending TD he threw was an anticipation play and he just anticipated incorrectly. That kind of thing happens. But he made lots of good throws against a very tough defense and had them driving for the win before the miscommunication with Olave.

On a side note, I really would have liked to have seen LSU against that Buckeyes defense. Clemson clearly changed up their normal offensive game plan to try to keep Chase Young from having a huge impact -- specifically running plays that exposed Lawrence to a lot of contact. I wonder whether LSU would have done the same?? We'll never know.

Regarding Trey Lance, I follow the FCS quite a bit so I am a bit familiar with him. I agree with those thinking some are getting ahead of themselves. While I do believe Lance is a helluva prospect, in no way should he be ahead of Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields at this point in time. He just hasn't faced anywhere near the same level of competition and NDSU had a lot more talent than most their FCS opponents. While Clemson and tOSU also have a lot more talent than most their opponents, I don't believe the disparity was a large -- and certainly not so in the playoffs.

This is a nice play by the youngster at Marshall.

I just watched that game. Under-recruited kid. Looks like he just needed a year to redshirt to get a little more weight on him. It's what a legitimate NFL quarterback prospect down the road looks like in his first collegiate game. That right there.

I just watched that game. Under-recruited kid. Looks like he just needed a year to redshirt to get a little more weight on him. It's what a legitimate NFL quarterback prospect down the road looks like in his first collegiate game. That right there.

Yeah that's pretty much how I'd describe it to a T.

Back
Top Bottom