The Pach's 2021 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Pach's 2021 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

The more I watch of Trevor, the more I'm left confused why some people fawn over him like he's the best prospect ever.

He ain't close to as good as Deshaun. Tua was and is a surprerior qb talent.

The scout world loves him because he's 6'6 and can run, but the NFL world will hate him because he throws deep ball ducks every game.

The more I watch of Trevor, the more I'm left confused why some people fawn over him like he's the best prospect ever.

He ain't close to as good as Deshaun. Tua was and is a surprerior qb talent.

The scout world loves him because he's 6'6 and can run, but the NFL world will hate him because he throws deep ball ducks every game.

I agree to some extent but Lawrence is light years ahead of where Josh Allen was at this point in his career and Allen has developed nicely. You can’t coach 6’6” that can run.

Zach Wilson has to be moving up your rankings, no?

Zach Wilson has to be moving up your rankings, no?

Could end up being the biggest mover in this thread if he can keep making good decisions. I couldn't get some of those interceptions he threw last year out of my head. Especially at the end of the game against Hawaii in the bowl game.

@ Pachyderm_Wave where do you rank Mac Jones compared to Tua?

As an NFL prospect Mac Jones is more of a day 2 pick. The best traits Mac Jones possesses are poise, toughness, decision making, and accuracy. All the makings of an NFL starter, just without the athleticism.

He'll hang in there until the last second with extreme guts and poise knowing he's fixing to take a lick in order to get the ball downfield to his incomparable weapons.

He's not hyper-accurate like Tua. He's just really accurate.

Could end up being the biggest mover in this thread if he can keep making good decisions. I couldn't get some of those interceptions he threw last year out of my head. Especially at the end of the game against Hawaii in the bowl game.

Agreed, he has always displayed good physical talent but he's been night and day from last year on decision making - it's honestly hard to believe it's the same player at times. The level of competition may be a huge factor here. He played a relatively tough schedule last year with USC, Washington, Tennessee and Utah. He hasn't played anyone near those teams this year.

I have no idea how the bowl game situation is going to work this year, but it would be nice if he and BYU continue to have success and face a tough opponent in a bowl game.

Exactly, that was really the point in my post - he just hasn't played anybody yet.

Exactly, that was really the point in my post - he just hasn't played anybody yet.

Hey Slimm I know it's a bit off-topic for this channel but I wanted to know your opinion on this.

My impression was that Bama's offense with Tua at the helm was actually quite spread out. Would you say that Miami running the widest offense in the NFL is creating a compatibility with Tua's game?

Hey Slimm I know it's a bit off-topic for this channel but I wanted to know your opinion on this.

My impression was that Bama's offense with Tua at the helm was actually quite spread out. Would you say that Miami running the widest offense in the NFL is creating a compatibility with Tua's game?

Keep in mind I’m old school so some of these new stats that are being kept up with are sometimes difficult for me to find the relevance.

However, to answer your question - I’d say the wide formations are compatible with Tua’s game. I think it creates a lot of space inside for slants, and isolates defenders in more space to place in conflict (RPO’s). Basically you’re creating much wider alleys for the safety to be forced to fill. He’s already in some conflict before the snap just due to the width of the alleys you’ve created. Furthermore, it opens up inside running lanes which is important to someone like Chan Gailey.

I’m not really sure which Tua offense at Bama you’re asking about inparticular since he played in several, and they were all different, but same.

The best way that I know how to determine what any “new” concept or system is doing is to trace the fundamentals back to it’s roots. Anytime you’re talking about wide formations and splits, it goes back to the Run & Shoot - based off the 4-verts concept. You’re running Choice and Switch and more interested in using leverage to decode the defense’s intentions as opposed to using motion. I like using leverage better anyway because you can tag routes, and motion can provide false keys while using leverage will not. It’s why the spread and Air Raid is so successful against man coverage. It’s your identity.

When Sarkisian came along he just combined his old pro style WCO passing staples with zone or power run game on the same play. In other words, welcome to the RPO. A slant in Sark’s offense essentially revolves around the receiver building and breaking off his 4th outside step. The timing was perfect on the RPO, or what would’ve been synched up with a 3 step drop from under center in his old WCO offense. Tua mastered it unlike any other quarterback I’ve seen.

People should go watch Trevor Lawrence try to run RPO. It’s painful to watch, although he’s gotten a lot better than he was last year.

I like Zach Wilson. He's like a cross between Drew Lock and Jared Goff.

He's such a gifted thrower of the football. More so than Goff. That's where he's more like Drew Lock. He's athletic like Lock. But he executes like Goff, and can be consistent throwing the football like Goff. But then he's also got some of those Drew Lock "too cute" tendencies.

Pressure is the biggest puzzle piece that's missing for Wilson. And it can be looked at several ways.

He fell apart under the strain of a close shootout against Hawaii late last year. Wasn't just the bad interception at the end. There were other throws, other decisions, just a general way that he was throwing the football, trying to feather and over-aim everything, a bit of nervousness in the pocket and looking rattled, mixed with bafflingly careless decision-making and inappropriate hero-ball. BYU have mostly been blowing out teams that are far worse than them this year, so we haven't gotten a real chance to see if that crumbling under pressure is something that comes back or if it was just the one game.

But then there's also literal pressure, and that's a huge missing puzzle piece. You hardly ever see the guy put under heavy duress in the pocket, and when you do it usually looks bad. He's had so much time and space behind that BYU line as he faces college defenses that sit back in coverage. I just feel like there's so much you don't know about how he's going to handle the trashy pockets he'll see in the NFL. That aspect of everything kind of reminds me of Jared Goff, like you start sending players at him and making him see ghosts, and watch as the execution aspect of it starts breaking down.

Anticipation is absolutely not a problem for Wilson. It's a big strength. I think when you give him an easy coverage to read, he can anticipate, use his eyes to lure defenders away, and execute the throw all day with great timing, good feet, and an excellent throw.

But how well does he actually SEE things at speed? That's my question. Because there are decisions he makes where you're like, OK you just didn't see that. You thought it was one thing and you stayed locked into that thought and never saw it turn into the other thing. This can be especially dangerous sometimes, because he likes to get so cute with his execution, acting like he's superman.

I'm a little disappointed I never got onto Wilson last year. I usually pick guys like him out way in advance. Just didn't have the exposure to him.

Back
Top Bottom