The Pach's 2021 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Pach's 2021 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

Trey Lance might still stay in college football, no? Transfer and play somewhere he can show out better, like Bailey Zappe is doing.

I mean it's definitely an option. Lance is the next in line of big, strong-armed QBs to come out with questions regarding accuracy. He missed a lot of easy throws in that Central Arkansas game. Teams may just see that as rust, but it's worth noting he has some bad misses on his 2019 tape as well.

I've said before and I'll say again, if Josh Allen and Justin Herbert can go in the top 10, then so can Lance. They are all similar prospects, and for that reason I think he'll get the nod from the advisory board. But I do agree another year in college could be best for his progression.

Why is Lance in red?

I think it's pretty obvious Zach Wilson has jumped him at this point. That BYU Cougar belongs in the top 10, and I might just have him ahead of Fields. Wilson has everything you want in a franchise QB.

Except a win against a top 25 team.

Be patient son. The last time somebody came in one of my threads and posted something like that was last year when Blake the Snake popped in to tell me how embarrassing it was to still have Marinobert over the LShoe gimp.

Except a win against a top 25 team.

Be patient son. The last time somebody came in one of my threads and posted something like that was last year when Blake the Snake popped in to tell me how embarrassing it was to still have Marinobert over the LShoe gimp.

I have no idea what that means.

Since when are wins a QB stat?

Good question. I reckon since Tua played Clemson in the national championship in 2018.

Lol. Seriously I don't think it's that big of a deal who Wilson has or hasn't beaten. I get it's a concern that will come up in draft rooms, but if that's the biggest knock on him I'm okay with it. Plenty of examples of great NFL QBs that didn't win in college. You only have to look at Mahomes.

Lol. Seriously I don't think it's that big of a deal who Wilson has or hasn't beaten. I get it's a concern that will come up in draft rooms, but if that's the biggest knock on him I'm okay with it. Plenty of examples of great NFL QBs that didn't win in college. You only have to look at Mahomes.

I hate to give away all my secrets, but a lot of times what I do is go watch the film and move a kid up in my rankings - then come in here and knock him.

Sometimes you have to see who's paying attention and who's not. PM me some time.

I think there’s a pretty significant difference between Zach Wilson and Patrick Mahomes. I don’t like that comparison.

Mahomes had to play with his hair on fire because there was no such thing as a pocket at Texas Tech under Kliff Kingsbury. It didn’t matter who they were playing because no matter who they were playing there was no pocket. When he got to the NFL things were actually destined to get EASIER for him in some ways, if that can be believed.

Zach Wilson is the opposite. As talented as he is, as much as I like the arm, size, anticipation, and the consistently replicable nature of his game, the pocket has generally been a master bedroom for him. And when it’s not, that’s when you see some issues rise to the surface.

I also take issue with the Trey Lance to Josh Allen and Justin Herbert comparisons. I regard Lance’s physical talent, but he’s not on par with them from either a size or arm talent standpoints. Both Herbert and Allen were body beautiful Greek gods with absolute cannons on their shoulders, as was Carson Wentz before them. From a body standpoint, Lance is more like Jordan Love. Except he doesn’t have Love’s arm.

what are the experts thoughts on Ridder?
I dont get to see al as much college ball as I would love to.i have watched him play in a few games and he has looked solid.
With Fitzy maybe retiring maybe not.Would he be ideal to put behind a backup to Tua to let him grow?
If anyone says that he reminds them of Huntley then I'll pass because that's kinda my take on him.

You have to be careful when looking at NDSU QB's and projecting their winning to NFL success. I live in ND and went to NDSU's rival but have had to watch every snap of every game going back to Brock Jensen and am honestly shocked just how much hype Trey Lance is getting. He has a fantastic feel in the pocket and is able to find open spaces to run with ease, and being such a dynamic athlete, he is at his best when he is running the ball and throwing outside the pocket and does have a decently strong arm to make all the required throws. It is not an elite arm but he has the strength to make every throw.

The problem I have with him is in the passing game. People look at his stats and see soo many touchdowns and so few picks and just assume that he has this insane accuracy when in reality it is the weakest part of his game. If you can keep him in the pocket and make him beat you with his arm he isn't very good and this was highlighted in the game this fall vs. Central Arkansas. He tried to showcase his passing game in the first half and instead of giving the scouts a reason to not doubt his arm, they saw nothing but questions. He simply isnt consistent enough with his accuracy at this point to be a viable NFL QB right away.

NDSU has had a lot of great college QBs come through the program, starting with Brock Jensen who we had in camp and didn't even display an NFL training camp arm. We had to bring in a qb from Northern Colorado just to be a training camp arm.

Next up was Carson Wentz who is from my hometown. NDSU recruited 2 QBs from Bismarck ND during that recruiting season, one being Carson Wentz from Century Highschool and the other being Esley Thorton from Bismarck High. They didn't recruit both to be qbs and the loser of the battle in fall camp would convert to linebacker. You will never hear anyone from the program now say just how close that battle was but rumor has it that it was so close, the deciding factor was that Esley Thorton was just built more like a linebacker and the rest is history. Carson is miles ahead of any other NDSU QB, he ran a pro style offense, was strong with the playbook, and could go through his progressions with ease. He was actually pushing Jensen for playing time he was that good in practice and still to this day is one of the latest blooming QB prospects I have ever seen.

Following that up was Easton Stick. He was a nice player and was athletic enough to run the ball and pass but never really had an NFL type arm to be a true NFL QB. Personally I always thought he could be a nice receiver in the league.

Than we get to Trey Lance, who is an extremely dynamic athlete for a powerhouse program but is so raw with his arm that it is a huge red flag. If you are drafting this kid, you need to be ready to sit him for a full year at a minimum as he has a ways to go to even get to where Lamar Jackson was in college as a passer.

I have a 3rd round grade on lance and that is only because of just how athletic he is. You are drafting the athlete and praying you can develop the arm and that always is a huge red flag for any qb. Drafting Trey and thinking that he is a winner is just not good practice.

Trey Lance might still stay in college football, no? Transfer and play somewhere he can show out better, like Bailey Zappe is doing.
He declared for the NFL draft back in October. Personally, I believe he isn't ready but I can't doubt an FCS QB wanting to go pro when they have a first round grade.

Good question. I reckon since Tua played Clemson in the national championship in 2018.
I mean I get it but Tua's situation and Trey's are more than a bit different. Tua was absolutely spectacular in multiple offensive schemes and showed a highly advance feel going through his progressions and with his pre snap reads. All we can say about Trey is that his program wins a lot and he is a dynamic runner, he really hasn't displayed any of the other required characteristics that Tua flashed consistently. I would just be cautious in looking at the history of NDSU QB's and using winning as a huge factor in my draft projection as they all win but only one has amounted to anything.

what are the experts thoughts on Ridder?

I have 2nd round grade on Ridder with Mac Jones and Malik Willis, and that is where my interest in potential NFL starters ends in this draft.
(I have Trask, Wilson, Lawrence and Fields with 1st round grade.)

As of now Lawrence is the only QB in this draft I give a first round grade. I hope 5 are taken in the top 10 but I’d only draft 1.

I certainly wasn't comparing Zach Wilson to Patrick Mahomes from a player standpoint. That would be ridiculous and unfair on the former. I was merely using Mahomes as an example of someone who didn't win in college. There are plenty of others.

I think Wilson does a good job in the pocket. He has a feel for the rush and gets outside of it to buy more time when he needs to.

Back
Top Bottom