The Pach's 2021 Quarterbacks (Underclassman) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Pach's 2021 Quarterbacks (Underclassman)

I don’t know if Pach shares this opinion or not.

I think the NFL has had a string of pretty good QB prospects enter into it the last number of years.

But then when I look at the younger kids coming up thru the pipeline, Trevor Lawrence aside, I think we are in for a little bit of a lull.
I take it that you are not that big a fan of Justin Fields?

I was just gonna mention him. In addition to HS, I follow FCS, mostly the Big Sky, and the FCS postseason.

Lance had a phenomenal redshirt frosh. season last year. IMO, he’s got many of the tools the next level is looking for. However NDST has so much talent and has been so dominant at the FCS level that it’s hard to know how good he really is. Things are often made easy.

That said, I liked what I saw in 2019 and it’ll be interesting to see how he performs again in 2020. He’s certainly got to be on everyone’s radar by now.

At some point down the road, I can see him being considered the clear cut #3 QB in this class should he declare. And if Fields should stumble in a big way, possibly #2.

BTW, one thing among these top prospects that shouldn’t be any concern is size. They’re all physically gifted.
I'm very happy you pointed this out. I live in North Dakota and graduated from UND in grand forks. NDSU has gone from Brock Jensen to Carson Wentz to Easton Stick to Trey Lance. You have to understand that NDSU has so much more talent than almost any FCS program that it can inflate numbers a bit. They have loaded offensive lines and strong running backs which makes it very easy on the QB.

Carson Wentz was in a league of his own as he had a rocket arm, was big, mobile, and fully understood how to go through his progressions(funny to think he barely beat out Esley Thornton in his freshman year for the backup qb spot).

Trey is a great athlete and has a real feel for running the ball but he has never had to go through his progressions, he is a first read qb and his guys are more often than not very wide open.

At this point I put Trey as a mid round pick at best, he is better than Easton Stick(who was never an NFL qb) but still has so much work to do in the passing game.

You have to understand that NDSU has so much more talent than almost any FCS program that it can inflate numbers a bit. They have loaded offensive lines and strong running backs which makes it very easy on the QB.

Trey is a great athlete and has a real feel for running the ball but he has never had to go through his progressions, he is a first read qb and his guys are more often than not very wide open.

Yes sir. We both see the same concern. Hopefully NDSU sees some better competition in 2021 and Lance gets tested. I really wish they’d schedule a power 5 program that’s clearly better than they are (although most those programs probably don’t want to play them since it’s a lose-lose situation) as it wouldn‘t hurt the Bison’s bid to repeat. That way we’d get a better read on their players.

I don’t know if Pach shares this opinion or not.

I think the NFL has had a string of pretty good QB prospects enter into it the last number of years.

But then when I look at the younger kids coming up thru the pipeline, Trevor Lawrence aside, I think we are in for a little bit of a lull.

I think Sam Howell, Ryan Hilinski and Kedon Slovis are going to be really good NFL prospects. I don’t necessarily view Trevor Lawrence as superior.

Hilinski - the South Carolina kid he looks like a top 10 pick down the road. Ideal size- good presence as a Freshman.

The overall QB class seems weak no?
I can’t find a 1st- 2nd Rd Senior- I get it it’s early.
The underclassmen as well..outside of Lawrence-
I have questions about Fields... something doesn’t translate and it’s not race- let’s not go there.
Ridder- honestly have never seen.

Anyone who promoted pass on Tua and tank for 2021 - there were some- should have their head examined and a 30 day site suspension.

Hilinski - the South Carolina kid he looks like Rd1 down the road.

The overall QB class doesn’t seem strong to me.

What round grade do you have for Hendon Hooker? I'm not a big fan of his as a VT alumni. I just don't see anything special about him.

What round grade do you have for Hendon Hooker? I'm not a big fan of his as a VT alumni. I just don't see anything special about him.

He has a lot of potential because he's big, athletic, can run and has a strong arm. Just developing as a passer. Not able to really generate much chemistry with the skill positions due to all the transfers outside of Tre Turner. Didn't even start until the Miami game and ripped off 6 wins in his next 8 starts. Even the games they lost he scored points.

Makes good decisions and doesn't put the ball into trouble. Still has a lot of developing to do and likely won't be declaring early unless he has an outstanding Junior season and puts up monster numbers. But there's a lot of programs that would like to have a quarterback like him. Purely an RPO passer at this point that isn't really familiar yet with progressions.

Keep an eye on his development as a passer and I think he might surprise you in terms of his NFL potential. He doesn't lack tools.

I think Sam Howell, Ryan Hilinski and Kedon Slovis are going to be really good NFL prospects. I don’t necessarily view Trevor Lawrence as superior.

Living 15 minutes from Chapel Hill, I see a lot of Sam Howell (doesn't help that I'm a Noles fan...)

Mack Brown has been doing a great job keeping kids in-state.

I really like Desmond Ridder. I've said that many a time. I think Justin Fields has a shot. I think Trey Lance is a nice prospect. I'm interested to see Brock Purdy's and Kyle Trask's development, and I'll group them together on purpose even though one is a senior.

But as much as I've liked Ridder over the years, he's like a poor man's Jordan Love in terms of reaching out and taking the bull by the horns. Justin Fields has a little bit of that look of an overrated QB prospect, like a Deshone Kizer. Trey Lance's being so wonderful for NDSU could mean he's just another Easton Stick. And you'd be asking lightning to strike twice with Brock Purdy/Kyle Trask.

I agree with Slimm that you're going to have to wait a little bit to see how a guy like Sam Howell develops...before things start to get really interesting again (outside of Trevor Lawrence, of course). I would humbly add the Two Spencers out in Oklahoma. Provided that Rattler doesn't grow up to be too much of a ****, that is.

EDIT: Probably would be remiss in not mentioning Tanner Morgan. I do like him. Probably a little more than Pach does. I stick him in with Purdy and Trask.

Last edited:
Technically, Spencer Sanders is actually eligible for the 2021 Draft.

So maybe there's hope for that class outside of Trevor Lawrence after all.

Living 15 minutes from Chapel Hill, I see a lot of Sam Howell (doesn't help that I'm a Noles fan...)

Mack Brown has been doing a great job keeping kids in-state.

Yeah he's about the only one in the ACC building a program over there that can compete with Clemson.

We had a commitment from Drake Maye but we knew he was going to flip when Bryce Young came in.

Ol' Mack is trying to upset Dabo's applecart a little bit.

I really like Desmond Ridder. I've said that many a time. I think Justin Fields has a shot. I think Trey Lance is a nice prospect. I'm interested to see Brock Purdy's and Kyle Trask's development, and I'll group them together on purpose even though one is a senior.

But as much as I've liked Ridder over the years, he's like a poor man's Jordan Love in terms of reaching out and taking the bull by the horns. Justin Fields has a little bit of that look of an overrated QB prospect, like a Deshone Kizer. Trey Lance's being so wonderful for NDSU could mean he's just another Easton Stick. And you'd be asking lightning to strike twice with Brock Purdy/Kyle Trask.

I agree with Slimm that you're going to have to wait a little bit to see how a guy like Sam Howell develops...before things start to get really interesting again (outside of Trevor Lawrence, of course). I would humbly add the Two Spencers out in Oklahoma. Provided that Rattler doesn't grow up to be too much of a ****, that is.

EDIT: Probably would be remiss in not mentioning Tanner Morgan. I do like him. Probably a little more than Pach does. I stick him in with Purdy and Trask.

What are you guys seeing in Kyle Trask that I'm missing right now?

It’s probably just being too influenced by the moment but Trask looks, plays, and throws quite a bit like Joe Burrow, to me.

Back
Top Bottom