The Pach's 2021 Wide Receivers (Seniors) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Pach's 2021 Wide Receivers (Seniors)

I'm taking him over every receiver that weighs more than 200 pounds anyway. My hope would be that everyone dings him until he falls all the way to me at whatever my pick is.

Isaac Bruce weighed 173 at the combine.

I'm taking him over every receiver that weighs more than 200 pounds anyway. My hope would be that everyone dings him until he falls all the way to me at whatever my pick is.

Isaac Bruce weighed 173 at the combine.

and he was a 2nd round pick. I think Devonta is worth a early 1st round pick but #3 overall is just too rich, given the value at that position.

and he was a 2nd round pick. I think Devonta is worth a early 1st round pick but #3 overall is just too rich, given the value at that position.
It's a position of need for the Dolphins and he's regarded as the best WR - the first WR to win the Heisman in 30 years and the sweetener is that he has proven chemistry with Tua. They have practiced together for many hours and have an established connection.
When Atlanta traded away their future 1st round pick to move up and take Julio Jones, it wasn't too rich. In this case we don't have to move up. Yes, Devonta Smith is very skinny but don't fixate on his body, look at his body of work. He is a WR loaded with talent - he just makes plays. I'm still of the view that he is the obvious safe pick.

Austin Watkins is really, really good. He probably deserves a spot in the Top 10 of this list. When you watch him run his routes side by side with all these other guys rep after rep, that's when you really see it. Because you already know from UAB tape that he's really strong, great musculature, powerful, and fantastic with the ball in the air. You know that already. What you might not be able to tell from UAB is how easy he makes it look to run these routes and get open in tight man coverage against these Senior Bowl defensive backs, even at 6014 & 207 lbs. You might not have been able to tell how little effort he needs to waste, unlike the rest of the guys, how fluid he is. That makes the story really compelling.

Something you notice about his UAB tape when you go back and look at it is how much respect the DBs gave him. They played really far off him, or when they were up in press they opened their hips all the way right off the snap. He ran a lot of vertical routes anyway, and finished catches despite that. And his QBs were awful, lol.

Last edited:
It's a position of need for the Dolphins and he's regarded as the best WR - the first WR to win the Heisman in 30 years and the sweetener is that he has proven chemistry with Tua. They have practiced together for many hours and have an established connection.
When Atlanta traded away their future 1st round pick to move up and take Julio Jones, it wasn't too rich. In this case we don't have to move up. Yes, Devonta Smith is very skinny but don't fixate on his body, look at his body of work. He is a WR loaded with talent - he just makes plays. I'm still of the view that he is the obvious safe pick.

I hear what you're saying and agree to an extent but I still think if we can trade down a few spots with a QB needy team and still get Devonta Smith then that would be ideal.

Well he won't be in the top 10 on this list, more like 20. Sitting at 30 overall in the composite. But he can play and does play a lot bigger than his size. He has good size at 6'1" but can play like he's 6'4". Has good bloodlines though - kin to Sammy Watkins and De'Vondre Campbell. Little bit of an older prospect though.

I may get around to putting up those composite rankings at some point.

So if Smith is say around ~175 pounds what is to say with proper conditioning and nutrition he can't add 15 pounds of lean body mass? He's only 22 years old.

I'm sure the nutrition and conditioning at Alabama isn't anything to scoff at, but just from personal experience your typical young adult male's frame isn't anywhere near filled out at 22.

I've never watched Demetric Felton before until the Senior Bowl.

I am very, very impressed with the way he moves and gets open. He doesn't quite know what he's doing yet, but when he does, he will be a very tough cover. I like how physicality doesn't interrupt his process. I do know a little bit about him, sort of a RB/WR combo player, and I think that's where the RB shows up is in the comfort with physical contact during the route.

Might have been the most impressive receiver on the National team outside of D'Wayne Eskridge, whose hands are honestly questionable, but who gets open so god damn easily you can forgive it for the time being. He can catch the deep ball. His drops seem like focus issues. It's just ridiculous how sudden he is, how fast he is, how easily he gets open. Physicality doesn't bother him on the route.

But you do come away feeling like Demetric Felton could be a D'Wayne Eskridge one day.

Dez Fitzpatrick, Tylan Wallace, and Nico Collins were pretty good. Sage Surratt was good at what he's good at. Frank Darby definitely has speed and when he nails his routes just right, it shows up.

Not terribly interested in anyone else on National.

Last edited:
Cade Johnson was good.

Small but slow is not usually a good combination. Every year there are a handful of short striding, ultra quick receivers who can get open against man coverage with a three way go all day, reliably catch the ball, but don’t have the size or speed to be vertical threats. Future day traders. The exceptions seem to have to be exceptionally physical for their size.

The more I watch D'Wayne Eskridge the more I get an appreciation for what a dog he is on the football field. There are guys who run their routes, run the offense, do their job, catch the football, very business-like. Then there are guys who look at the opponent in the eyes and do everything they can to steal their will. The more I look, Eskridge is very much the latter. Ultra competitive.

You see it in his blocking. I rarely, if ever, see the guy he's blocking head-on end up making the play on the football, even if the ball comes right to him.

You also see it in Eskridge's hands. He's got really good, really quick hands. Great coordination. He can break fingers, and he does it frequently. He'll do it at the line of scrimmage to get off press, and he does it when a corner tries to come up to him and lock on for leverage during a run play.

He didn't do a whole lot of running the football from sweeps or end-arounds and the like, but when he did, he looked great doing it, and he's got all the instincts with the football in his hands for making guys miss that you'd hope for his type. Just because he didn't do it much, doesn't mean it isn't there. He was a dangerous return man this year, and equally dangerous on end-arounds.

But D'Wayne's experience on the outside and getting off press, in particular, have to make him more attractive than some players. That's when you start thinking DeSean Jackson, and not just Curtis Samuel.

The thing you'd wish would stop happening with Eskridge is the lapses in concentration that see him drop the easy ones. I've watched him high-stab the ball above his head on the run without leaving his feet, which is actually really challenging as most receivers will prefer to leave their feet in order to quiet their eye and see the ball coming in. I've also seen him go up and pluck the ball from inside a crowd. So you know he's got ability. But I'll be damned if I haven't seen like 6 or 7 drops in just four games or so. And I've read something about drops plaguing him early on in his career at Western Michigan.

He had 8 catches for 295 yards and 5 touchdowns on 8 catchable slant routes this year. That's insanity. He was 1st in the NCAA with 18.8 yards per target versus Man coverage. He averaged 32.5 yards per catch versus Man. Equally insane.

We're still in the process of information gathering I think, and so I get the feeling this will be a bit neck and neck, but for now with what he laid on the table in Mobile, I think I will have to have Eskridge above Atwell, and also the #2 senior WR in the class. I really like Tutu Atwell a lot but I'm also a believer in resume and Eskridge is the guy who showed up to Mobile, got measured which is a pretty big thing since there seems to be some disagreement as to Atwell's body mass, and D'Wayne also went out and faced guys like Keith Taylor, Cameron Bynum, and Benjamin St. Juste all week, and straight up dominated them. Et tu, Tutu?

Back
Top Bottom