The Pach's 2021 Wide Receivers (Underclassman) | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Pach's 2021 Wide Receivers (Underclassman)

Well, all I'll say is this -

The faction out there that hold Smitty's weight against him aren't even evaluating him. Most of 'em have never even seen him play. All they're doing is looking at the history of the draft and using that as a means to dismiss him. They still have a child's view of what the NFL is, and don't understand what it means to be a professional athlete, or what he's made of.

They don't understand how often the prototypes give up or never had it to begin with.

The further down the board teams let him fall, the more prototype players he's going to surpass in terms of his NFL career that are drafted ahead of him.

#NickSabanALLStars
#Ands-&-Buts
#WaddleHouse
#SlimReaper

Well, all I'll say is this -

The faction out there that hold Smitty's weight against him aren't even evaluating him. Most of 'em have never even seen him play. All they're doing is looking at the history of the draft and using that as a means to dismiss him. They still have a child's view of what the NFL is, and don't understand what it means to be a professional athlete, or what he's made of.

They don't understand how often the prototypes give up or never had it to begin with.

The further down the board teams let him fall, the more prototype players he's going to surpass in terms of his NFL career that are drafted ahead of him.

#NickSabanALLStars
#Ands-&-Buts
#WaddleHouse
#SlimReaper
So you’d take Waddle, got ya.

It Was a joke. Should be hard to **** this up. I like Waddle and Smith a lot more than Jeudy and Ruggs. Jeudy and Ruggs had flaws. Hard to find any with Smith and Waddle.

Above all what makes no sense is the way people keep comparing Ja'Marr Chase to receivers that are 3 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier than him. The Larry Fitzgerald and Julio Jones comparisons are hysterical.

Makes about as much sense as comparing Waddle to Hines Ward and Smitty to Tee Higgins.

So much of this.

You have one guy who is 6'0" & 166 lbs. but makes his way on quickness, technique, speed, stride, hands, length, and the consistent ability to separate.

Then you have another guy who is 6'0" and 201 lbs. and makes his way on explosive strength, bullying, and dominance at the catch point.

I'm more concerned about the latter height-weight profile than the former height-weight profile. People are comparing Ja'Marr Chase's game to guys who are as you say 3 inches taller and 25-30 lbs. heavier. He's going to get into the NFL and discover that his size/strength profile is much more ubiquitous, and yet that was his bread and butter.

At least Devonta Smith will/should get into the NFL and discover that his bread and butter can still be his bread and butter.

So much of this.

You have one guy who is 6'0" & 166 lbs. but makes his way on quickness, technique, speed, stride, hands, length, and the consistent ability to separate.

Then you have another guy who is 6'0" and 201 lbs. and makes his way on explosive strength, bullying, and dominance at the catch point.

I'm more concerned about the latter height-weight profile than the former height-weight profile. People are comparing Ja'Marr Chase's game to guys who are as you say 3 inches taller and 25-30 lbs. heavier. He's going to get into the NFL and discover that his size/strength profile is much more ubiquitous, and yet that was his bread and butter.

At least Devonta Smith will/should get into the NFL and discover that his bread and butter can still be his bread and butter.

Keenan McCardell was 6'0", 175 at the NFL combine.

Isaac Bruce was 5'11", 173.

DeSean Jackson was 5'10", 169.

Todd Pinckston was 6'2", 169.

Marvin Harrison was 6'0", 181.

Gary Clark was 5'9", 175.

Lynn Swann was 5'11", 175.

Bambi (Lance Alworth), Steve Largent, Gary Clark, Mark Clayton, Paul Warfield, etc, etc.... all these guys were slim and strong. They make up some of the toughest players that have ever played the game.
Think about how tough Steve Tasker was - on special teams. That guy was 5'9", 180 and tiny. Chad Johnson is trying to tell anyone that'll listen that he played in the 170's.

Look how slim Jerry Rice was.

I don't believe for a second there's a receiver in this draft that has an edge in physicality over Smitty despite his weight. I've watched 'em all play. Some might play heavier, but none play BIGGER. Smitty plays like a big receiver. Massive wingspan with extremely long arms and big hands. He's so strong and so determined. He's a dawg with a champion's heart.

We switched him to DB and let him play some CB at Bama in practice. He was all dawg and would've been a top defensive back if that's where Saban had decided to keep him.
If you look at him standing beside Justin Jefferson, Smitty actually looks a little bigger. His calves are bigger, and his shoulders are bigger. Just slimmer through the hips and torso.

Man just give me great football players that want it. I hope The Goat keeps recruiting players like Smitty, but there's only one of him. Give me 11 Smitty's on each side of the ball and I'll wear your ass out.

Smitty has the strongest and most reliable hands to come out of college in at least 4 or 5 years. He always had the best hands out of Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, and Ridley since he stepped on campus. In addition to being the best route runner and creating explosive separation.

It's the toughness. I'm telling you. Send this kid over the middle and he's coming down with the football every time. Hit him. That's what he wants you to do. But he's taking that football away from you and slapping you on the ass on the way back to the huddle.

"Good hit cuz".

The best DB's that are capable of playing on Sundays have all tried to get physical with him. Grabbing, holding, snatching shoulder pads, jersey....whatever they can get their hands on to rough him up. They've tried to out physical him in the redzone at the catchpoint. One by one they've all went down. Acknowledging how special he is and how difficult it is to match his skillset, and to match his intensity.

Because when he's not getting the ball he blocks like a maniac.

Let kids like him fall to me every time. I'll take 'em.

Smitty has the strongest and most reliable hands to come out of college in at least 4 or 5 years. He always had the best hands out of Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, and Ridley since he stepped on campus. In addition to being the best route runner and creating explosive separation.

It's the toughness. I'm telling you. Send this kid over the middle and he's coming down with the football every time. Hit him. That's what he wants you to do. But he's taking that football away from you and slapping you on the *** on the way back to the huddle.

"Good hit cuz".

The best DB's that are capable of playing on Sundays have all tried to get physical with him. Grabbing, holding, snatching shoulder pads, jersey....whatever they can get their hands on to rough him up. They've tried to out physical him in the redzone at the catchpoint. One by one they've all went down. Acknowledging how special he is and how difficult it is to match his skillset, and to match his intensity.

Because when he's not getting the ball he blocks like a maniac.

Let kids like him fall to me every time. I'll take 'em.
If the board is Waddle & Smith, is Tua opinion the tiebreaker? Is there anyone more qualified.. have to believe his input will be considered.

I think Devonta could run a 4.42..it’s what it looks like when he opens up..

Love how still he keeps his head when running and tracking the deep ball, so smart in that aspect as it pertains to his technique..

Reaper has a longer wingspan that Calvin Johnson.

I’ve been telling the naysayers all offseason that he’s thin, not small. And I’ve touted his wingspan, although I had no idea it was longer than Megatron’s. Is that really true?

I’ve been telling the naysayers all offseason that he’s thin, not small. And I’ve touted his wingspan, although I had no idea it was longer than Megatron’s. Is that really true?
Yes it’s true, sport science made the statement..

I describe Smith as lean and strong..his body Imo is getting very misread..I know on the surface he looks thin, but this is a different body type thats outside the box.

Yes it’s true, sport science made the statement..

I describe Smith as lean and strong..his body Imo is getting very misread..I know on the surface he looks thin, but this is a different body type thats outside the box.
Technically they referenced his wingspan to height ratio of 1.09 (6’6.5” wingspan to 6.02 height) being larger than Megatron’s.

At 6’5” Megatron had a 6’10” wingspan but his ratio was only 1.06.

The weight thing has been a false narrative since the very beginning.

Seriously, a long list successful light (even small) players has been cited ad nauseam while nobody can cite a single player that didn’t make it unequivocally due to their weight or slight build.

I even cited Jakeem Grant who is both small and light as still having an NFL job after 5 seasons and who has never missed time or failed solely because of his size and weight. If Grant could catch the damn ball he’d arguably be an impact player for MIA.

Last I checked Devonta Smith isn’t 5’7 and doesn’t have problems catching the ball. He also runs routes as well as anyone and has a crazy long wing span.

Back
Top Bottom