The Pach's TOP 110 | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Pach's TOP 110

Regarding Uche and Davis, the goal is not the same.

Alabama has not been pushed around in perhaps 15 years. It makes sense that their fans have forgotten the helpless feeling. Dolphin fans experience it multiple times per season.

Taking on double teams and 2-gapping is just part of the job description for the base end/dt alignment in Saban’s defense when using an odd front. However, we only use that front against teams that feature 21 personnel or a two back set. We’re only in that defense less than 25% of the time anymore at most. Usually just against teams like LSU - but even that changed this year when Joe Brady arrived.

We’ve had the Raekwon Davis types that have done their job in that role - but none were valued in the 2nd round despite being equally as good. Some even better.

From Brandon Deadrick and Lorenzo Washington to Damion Square to Jessie Williams to Ed Stinson to Jarran Reed to Dalvin Tomlinson to Isaiah Buggs, etc. All of these guys got the job done. It’s more of a system type role that just keeps rolling if you know what you’re doing and plug in the correct player. Which Saban does.

I think Flores sees a little bit of Brandon Deadrick in Davis, who the Patriots drafted in the 7th round while Flores was up there in New England several years back.

I just don’t think you value this type of player in the 2nd round over much better players. Let alone a Josh Uche.

He’s Chris Canty. Not Calais Campbell.

I was getting ready to make a Canty comparison. I was going to say you didn’t need to go to Campbell or even Daryl Gardener. Campbell fell around where Davis fell in the second but that’s a big ask to get that kind of player and production.

Canty fell to the fourth despite that size. But he ended up being a good rotational lineman who ended up getting paid in free agency. The upside for Davis IMO is a Canty type as a rotational lineman on a quality line, not an upper echelon guy like Campbell.

If it weren’t for Tua - I wonder if Grier supporters would be so positive.

If that’s the case, it’s poor draft management. If you love a player at 39- pick him at 30.
There should be very little “table banging” with all that draft capital.
Or you move up for Swift after the CEH selection.

I don't agree with that way of thinking. You might as well continue: and if they love a guy at 30, pick him at 18. The trouble is we have too many information gaps. How much did they like a player relative to their next favorite, how much were trade partners asking for, or if there were even willing parties, etc. In the end it would've been nice to get an RB, but I'm not heartbroken. Good RBs are much easier to come by than good blocking up front. Let's hope we took a positive step in that direction.

I know who the Dolphins were coveting in the 1st round and why they slapped the table, so to speak. And it wasn't Cesar Ruiz. You'll probably not even be able to guess it. Surprised me, but it was straight out of the horse's mouth so it's not information I doubt. The Jordan Love trade, as far as I know, wasn't in reaction to anything. It was a thing they wanted to do for a specific reason or set of reasons.

I don't have information on whether they really were upset when J.K. Dobbins went. I do know that Raekwon Davis has always been on radar. Something certainly didn't go their way with respect to the running backs, because yes the phone calls about Leonard Fournette, Todd Gurley, and Matt Breida was indeed a pivot. But if Dobbins was really a big time target I have a tough time believing they grab Robert Hunt at #39. I think in all likelihood, things had already gone sideways at the RB position when the Dolphins made that #39 pick. And I have a pretty good feeling based on information who, and how. The Chiefs are good drafters. And they know how to keep their cards close to the vest.

I enjoyed the Malcolm Perry pick as well. An unexpected but pleasant surprise at a point when I thought frankly they'd essentially given up on the rest of the draft. They had just taken a long snapper. If that isn't a sign that you're closing up shop, I don't know what is. But they chose that last pick as an opportunity to stick a finger in Bill Belichick's eye.

The buzz is Curtis Weaver had some sort of sickness in the off season that caused him to put on a bunch of bad weight. Certainly you pop on a 2018 game of his like the BYU game and you see a player that is both leaner and livelier. So I'm rooting for the kid, hoping he had some unfortunate circumstances. His eyes and his redirect are his biggest weapons. His redirect is why he ran such good agility drills at the Combine. Pretty strong upper body, too.

Brian Flores referred to him as a pass rusher, and openly wondered if it would translate. That's correct. That's what Weaver is. I would liken him a little bit to a player Flores coached in New England just before he left for Miami, Keionta Davis out of UT-Chattanooga. I wonder if that's who Flores sees, and if that's the sort of role he feels like he could carve out for Weaver in this defense, if Weaver does well enough for it. I'm not saying that's all Curtis Weaver will ever be, but I think it's a pretty good analog.

I think Raekwon Davis is a brilliant selection for this defense. He's the big swinging dick, the 500 lbs gorilla, that will command the doubles and free guys like Christian Wilkins, Shaq Lawson, Emmanuel Ogbah, and Kyle Van Noy up to go stunting around and/or beating single blocks. When linemen go on the attack against Davis, he has as much ability to stay rooted as anyone I've seen. When he goes on the attack, he's either got four or six eyes on him at all times, or he's dishing out bruises, making the QB uncomfortable in a collapsing pocket, and keeping him on an egg timer. My favorite is when Bama would occasionally bring Davis out to end and have him get downhill against a tackle in single blocking. It looked like trying to keep an avalanche in place. He gets off blocks. He can dominate passing lanes with his length and ability to get push to the inside. And what surprises is his speed when he has to get lateral and keep the ball carrier from turning the corner.

I think Robert Hunt was the best guard prospect in the draft. He might be given the opportunity to prove that right tackle isn't his future, but I also feel that when push comes to shove, they'd rather put their trust in the veteran Jesse Davis at that spot by the time Week 1 rolls around (whenever it rolls around). And once that happens, and you stick Hunt at right guard for the season, his performance there will probably keep you from deciding to move him back out, and thus we'll be looking for some right tackles next off season.

Brandon Jones was the highest recruited safety prospect in the country back in 2016. To me there are two types to claim that sort of honor: the physically dynamic ones like Derwin James, or guys who are just Mr. Football doing everything super well. Jones is the latter. Certainly by the time you got to 2019, he could do pretty much everything they asked him to do on the field pretty well. He has good (not great) speed, could close on the ball and jar it loose to prevent the catch. He was disciplined, very smart, aggressive. He's always running at full speed out there. His angles were good. His strength is good, ability to play down hill from the box or on the line of scrimmage, be physical and get off blocks, blitz the quarterback, etc. He's even a good punt returner, which I think speaks to his overarching ability to do just about anything on a football field well.

But in the end he's 5'11" and 198 lbs with short arms, and that pops up a lot when you see him having to work twice as hard as some others to break up a deep ball, or make a challenging open field tackle. I think he's missed 29 tackles the last two years, something like that. You see some arm tackles where the runner almost broke loose of him.

The pick I really didn't like was Jason Strowbridge. I know this isn't going to seem a very apt contrast because they're different sizes, but he's the anti-Raekwon Davis. Offensive linemen do not have much of a tough time with Strowbridge. They're not walking out of the game black and blue, or feeling lucky to have kept him at bay for 60 minutes. He's a physical specimen, like Davis, only smaller and therefore more likely to play on the edges. But you can be that and still come off as a player that gives blockers a hard time. When Jason Strowbridge is combo blocked, he gets pushed off the screen. Literally. He's at his best when he can get his hand placement right, and use his hands the way he really wants to. But otherwise I keep watching the guy and uttering the cliche phrase, "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

One of the themes I get out of this draft is taking some guys who had reasons they couldn't reach full potential in college, be it an injury here, an off season sickness, immaturity, donating bone marrow, a recent position switch, poor coaching, etc. You can take that one all the way to the top with Tua Tagovailoa, who wouldn't have been within reach of the Dolphins had he not crunched his hip. It's an interesting approach that reminds me a little bit of a period when the Bengals and Raiders always used to take the guys who were talented but fell because the league thought of them as problem children. Miami doesn't go that far, they generally go for choir boys as a matter of fact. But they were definitely looking at things almost from an equity analyst's standpoint, looking for mis-priced assets and market inefficiencies.
Maybe I'm a bit slow, but could you please spell it out for me on what you meant about who Miami was upset about missing out on in the first round? Was it Jordan Love, and did they have a trade worked out with another team involving him once they selected him?

I don't agree with that way of thinking. You might as well continue: and if they love a guy at 30, pick him at 18. The trouble is we have too many information gaps. How much did they like a player relative to their next favorite, how much were trade partners asking for, or if there were even willing parties, etc. In the end it would've been nice to get an RB, but I'm not heartbroken. Good RBs are much easier to come by than good blocking up front. Let's hope we took a positive step in that direction.
I hear your point. But given the draft capital I would’ve liked for Miami to set the runs at position as opposed to react.
But I get it. Every draft changes courses.

Chris Canty was mucb more productive in college. I do see the frame comparisons but canty until he got that knee injury I believe it was at Uva was pretty much unblockable.

I used to be on the 40 yard line front row in the stands behind the va bench watching that kid do work.

Chris Canty was mucb more productive in college. I do see the frame comparisons but canty until he got that knee injury I believe it was at Uva was pretty much unblockable.

I used to be on the 40 yard line front row in the stands behind the va bench watching that kid do work.

That’s right. That knee injury is what pushed Canty down into the 4th round. Kid led the conference in tackles two seasons in a row.

When he got to the NFL he was a 2 sack a year guy - which is essentially what Raekwon Davis will be. 4th round is where you start valuing guys like this. It’s just not smart drafting to pick Davis in the 2nd round. Especially with the talent that was still available.

Davis was never a “beast” for one season. He just managed to have a season where he was able to produce a little bit of something. As opposed to nothing the rest of his career. Guys like Davis are why Bama never had a pass rush in games where they needed it.

Raekwon Davis reminds me of Michael Brockers.
Can you help me out? ck hasn't gotten back to me on the question I asked him. Do you know what he was implying about who Miami was upset about missing out on in the first round? He said it wasn't Ruiz. That's who I assumed was the player they wanted. Were they going to take Jordan Love also? Was there a trade in the works if Love had made it to Miami's spot? I'm confused about what he meant and I'm really curious to find out who the mystery player was.

Can you help me out? ck hasn't gotten back to me on the question I asked him. Do you know what he was implying about who Miami was upset about missing out on in the first round? He said it wasn't Ruiz. That's who I assumed was the player they wanted. Were they going to take Jordan Love also? Was there a trade in the works if Love had made it to Miami's spot? I'm confused about what he meant and I'm really curious to find out who the mystery player was.

No clue tbh. Ruiz and/or Isaiah Wilson are my best guesses.

Anyone is welcome to disagree and start or stop reading whenever they choose. I’m just telling you I don’t see 100 or more better NFL careers in this draft than Hakeem Adeniji. We’ll find out.
your thoughts on the dolphin draft?

Maybe one of the WRs.

Idk about you guys, but I slammed the table when Dallas took Lamb.
Once again when Saints tools Ruiz.
And again when Lions too Swift.

Back
Top Bottom