The perfect 72 Dolphins and football's ultimate toll. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The perfect 72 Dolphins and football's ultimate toll.

DrMultimedia

Doctorate
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
As the article mentioned, there are MANY cases where the deceased had NEVER played football.
How is that explained? It's not.
I think it's just a "flavor of the week disease", and gets a LOT more attention than it deserves because some football players had it.
I'd bet that each one of the players "diagnosed", wouldn't change a thing in the past in regards to playing the game.

It seems a bit silly to me to engage in a violent sport your whole life and then complain later it took a toll on your body.

it’s a bit like smoking cigarettes your whole life and acting like you weren’t aware it was bad for you.
Exactly....Like a marathon runner ending up with bad knees...
Or like a prostitute saying she didn’t know she could catch an STD..... or a coal miner getting cancer.

Risk/reward ..., these folks weigh the options and make a choice. Sorry it didn’t work out like you would have liked it to, but you took the chance.

As the article mentioned, there are MANY cases where the deceased had NEVER played football.
How is that explained? It's not.
I think it's just a "flavor of the week disease", and gets a LOT more attention than it deserves because some football players had it.
I'd bet that each one of the players "diagnosed", wouldn't change a thing in the past in regards to playing the game.
Do you believe the earth is flat also?

To just think it’s some flavor of the month thing is pretty ignorant but go ahead, put on a helmet and just go start bashing your head into stuff, we’ll see if starts to affect you in a few years

To just think it’s some flavor of the month thing is pretty ignorant but go ahead, put on a helmet and just go start bashing your head into stuff, we’ll see if starts to affect you in a few years

I feel you are missing his point, CTE studies are critizied because most case studies the brain was involved in a risk factor .....when the study and discover CTE in a brains that didn't not expose to concussions then the understanding can be more in depth.

Don't know what the configuration of the earth has to do with "CTE"; but you might be on to something there!
I bashed heads for 14 years with a helmet, and in the 33 years since that time, it hasn't affected me yet. Some of my joints????? thats another story.
Do you buy into EVERYTHING the media feeds you?

Don't know what the configuration of the earth has to do with "CTE"; but you might be on to something there!
I bashed heads for 14 years with a helmet, and in the 33 years since that time, it hasn't affected me yet. Some of my joints????? thats another story.
Do you buy into EVERYTHING the media feeds you?
No, I dont buy everything, however, I think youre a bit niave in your way of thinking. "hasnt happened to me yet = cant happen to anyone in football"

Sure, it absolutely may just be a person by person basis, but repeated trauma to the head is eventually going to take its toll on you. CTE or otherwise.

Alrighty. But you don't think they are (or can be) linked at all, and if thats your opinion, thats fine I guess
Percentage-wise, probably no more than the general public.
But, "Football Destroys Brains" is a sexier headline!!!!!

Percentage-wise, probably no more than the general public.
But, "Football Destroys Brains" is a sexier headline!!!!!

So this more well rounded study that found CTE was found in 6% of the general population, also found the following...

A small number of cases, 42, had CTE pathology (5.6% of the total). CTE was found in 27 athletes and 15 non-athletes, and in 41 men and one woman. American football had the highest frequency of CTE (15%) of the contact sports studied, with participation beyond high school resulting in the highest risk of developing CTE.

These guys were looking to take it beyond just the football research, and still came up with these results. Not surprising, it's an aggressive sport. I agree that people should be allowed to do what they want, and should be responsible for the results (within reason). Not everything worth doing in life is 100% safe. I'm all for better safety, but some things are just inherently dangerous.

So this more well rounded study that found CTE was found in 6% of the general population, also found the following...

These guys were looking to take it beyond just the football research, and still came up with these results. Not surprising, it's an aggressive sport. I agree that people should be allowed to do what they want, and should be responsible for the results (within reason). Not everything worth doing in life is 100% safe. I'm all for better safety, but some things are just inherently dangerous.
Seems like a pretty un-biased article on the subject. I tend to agree more with the last paragraph that leans toward the possibility of genetic causes.

Back
Top Bottom