The Phins WILL Draft Braylon Edwards

cigar

Scout Team
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
I rarely make posts on this board, and the ones I have made have come true (Review previous posts). You might as well chalk this one up. Lets talk a minute about the #2 pick. I can easily sum it up by saying "you better not screw it up." This means (obviously) that you pick the best player available - period. Not who can help us this year. Not who would fit your system. Not even player A might be a little better than player B, but player B is of more need. When you have a pick this high, the pressure is going to come down from both the fans and the payroll dept. The fans will demand a stud, even if you are loaded at his position. They might not like it, but it would allow flexibility in your organization via trades for players or draft picks. It allows your team to administrate. The front office will demand a stud, because no matter what, the organization is forced to make an investment that is far too risky for conventional investment practice. Some kid is coming out of college and will immediately become one of the highest paid playes without even taking a snap. No mail room, or apprenticeship, or point man with the shotgun. Nick Saban doesnt really have a difficult choice. Is Ronnie Brown the best player in the draft? Backup at Auburn; never carried the load; doesnt have a burst or elusiveness; put up "good", not "great" numbers; closes the door for trades (who is gonna trade up to get a RB when they are stocked); it can be debated as to whether he is even the best RB, let alone the best player in the draft. And please lets not fall for the combine "track practice" numbers. Braylon Edwards is undoubtably the best WR; put up record numbers at Michigan; racked up awards; also has all the tools; creates flexibility as far as trades (because he is the premire WR); and is rated higher than Brown on a majority of GM lists.
I know we have Chambers and Booker, but look what Linehan did with Moss, Robinson, Cambell, and Burelson last year. They ALL got the ball. And look what he did with his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string backs. They were easily plugged in when Bennett went down. And lets not forget a 3rd rounder already spent on Gordon.
This #2 pick isnt about who will help us or coaching philosophies. Its about a mandate to pick the best player. We dont have a choice.
 

Schleprock

Mad and Surt...Legendary
Joined
Nov 9, 2004
Messages
2,794
Reaction score
113
Age
43
Location
MD
cigar said:
I rarely make posts on this board, and the ones I have made have come true (Review previous posts). You might as well chalk this one up. Lets talk a minute about the #2 pick. I can easily sum it up by saying "you better not screw it up." This means (obviously) that you pick the best player available - period. Not who can help us this year. Not who would fit your system. Not even player A might be a little better than player B, but player B is of more need. When you have a pick this high, the pressure is going to come down from both the fans and the payroll dept. The fans will demand a stud, even if you are loaded at his position. They might not like it, but it would allow flexibility in your organization via trades for players or draft picks. It allows your team to administrate. The front office will demand a stud, because no matter what, the organization is forced to make an investment that is far too risky for conventional investment practice. Some kid is coming out of college and will immediately become one of the highest paid playes without even taking a snap. No mail room, or apprenticeship, or point man with the shotgun. Nick Saban doesnt really have a difficult choice. Is Ronnie Brown the best player in the draft? Backup at Auburn; never carried the load; doesnt have a burst or elusiveness; put up "good", not "great" numbers; closes the door for trades (who is gonna trade up to get a RB when they are stocked); it can be debated as to whether he is even the best RB, let alone the best player in the draft. And please lets not fall for the combine "track practice" numbers. Braylon Edwards is undoubtably the best WR; put up record numbers at Michigan; racked up awards; also has all the tools; creates flexibility as far as trades (because he is the premire WR); and is rated higher than Brown on a majority of GM lists.
I know we have Chambers and Booker, but look what Linehan did with Moss, Robinson, Cambell, and Burelson last year. They ALL got the ball. And look what he did with his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string backs. They were easily plugged in when Bennett went down. And lets not forget a 3rd rounder already spent on Gordon.
This #2 pick isnt about who will help us or coaching philosophies. Its about a mandate to pick the best player. We dont have a choice.
:rolleyes:

I love people who post things we ARE going to do.....when they have no clue
 

new bob

Scout Team
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
if we draft a wr i will stab myself with an icepick repeatedly....
or just be very very angry, either or....lol
 

cigar

Scout Team
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Schleprock said:
:rolleyes:

I love people who post things we ARE going to do.....when they have no clue
Alas, the reason I don't share my Nostradomus like thoughts more often.
Read it and weep.
 

UltraDol-Fan

The Id
Joined
Aug 18, 2004
Messages
4,028
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
I don't care who we get anymore, there are good arguments for getting any position.
 

TooDrkPark

Starter
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
609
Reaction score
2
Location
Atlanta
cigar said:
I rarely make posts on this board, and the ones I have made have come true (Review previous posts). You might as well chalk this one up. Lets talk a minute about the #2 pick. I can easily sum it up by saying "you better not screw it up." This means (obviously) that you pick the best player available - period. Not who can help us this year. Not who would fit your system. Not even player A might be a little better than player B, but player B is of more need. When you have a pick this high, the pressure is going to come down from both the fans and the payroll dept. The fans will demand a stud, even if you are loaded at his position. They might not like it, but it would allow flexibility in your organization via trades for players or draft picks. It allows your team to administrate. The front office will demand a stud, because no matter what, the organization is forced to make an investment that is far too risky for conventional investment practice. Some kid is coming out of college and will immediately become one of the highest paid playes without even taking a snap. No mail room, or apprenticeship, or point man with the shotgun. Nick Saban doesnt really have a difficult choice. Is Ronnie Brown the best player in the draft? Backup at Auburn; never carried the load; doesnt have a burst or elusiveness; put up "good", not "great" numbers; closes the door for trades (who is gonna trade up to get a RB when they are stocked); it can be debated as to whether he is even the best RB, let alone the best player in the draft. And please lets not fall for the combine "track practice" numbers. Braylon Edwards is undoubtably the best WR; put up record numbers at Michigan; racked up awards; also has all the tools; creates flexibility as far as trades (because he is the premire WR); and is rated higher than Brown on a majority of GM lists.
I know we have Chambers and Booker, but look what Linehan did with Moss, Robinson, Cambell, and Burelson last year. They ALL got the ball. And look what he did with his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string backs. They were easily plugged in when Bennett went down. And lets not forget a 3rd rounder already spent on Gordon.
This #2 pick isnt about who will help us or coaching philosophies. Its about a mandate to pick the best player. We dont have a choice.

thank you Mr. Nostradamus!! :shakeno:
 

nando03

Finheaven VIP
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
1,653
Reaction score
60
Age
37
Location
Alexandria, VA
I can agree with the part about picking Braylon at #2, However I think if Saban can trade down a few spots(2 or 3 spots) he would rather do that.
 

Regan21286

Wa Wa Wee Wa
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
5,465
Reaction score
0
Location
UCLA
cigar said:
I rarely make posts on this board, and the ones I have made have come true (Review previous posts). You might as well chalk this one up. Lets talk a minute about the #2 pick. I can easily sum it up by saying "you better not screw it up." This means (obviously) that you pick the best player available - period. Not who can help us this year. Not who would fit your system. Not even player A might be a little better than player B, but player B is of more need. When you have a pick this high, the pressure is going to come down from both the fans and the payroll dept. The fans will demand a stud, even if you are loaded at his position. They might not like it, but it would allow flexibility in your organization via trades for players or draft picks. It allows your team to administrate. The front office will demand a stud, because no matter what, the organization is forced to make an investment that is far too risky for conventional investment practice. Some kid is coming out of college and will immediately become one of the highest paid playes without even taking a snap. No mail room, or apprenticeship, or point man with the shotgun. Nick Saban doesnt really have a difficult choice. Is Ronnie Brown the best player in the draft? Backup at Auburn; never carried the load; doesnt have a burst or elusiveness; put up "good", not "great" numbers; closes the door for trades (who is gonna trade up to get a RB when they are stocked); it can be debated as to whether he is even the best RB, let alone the best player in the draft. And please lets not fall for the combine "track practice" numbers. Braylon Edwards is undoubtably the best WR; put up record numbers at Michigan; racked up awards; also has all the tools; creates flexibility as far as trades (because he is the premire WR); and is rated higher than Brown on a majority of GM lists.
I know we have Chambers and Booker, but look what Linehan did with Moss, Robinson, Cambell, and Burelson last year. They ALL got the ball. And look what he did with his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string backs. They were easily plugged in when Bennett went down. And lets not forget a 3rd rounder already spent on Gordon.
This #2 pick isnt about who will help us or coaching philosophies. Its about a mandate to pick the best player. We dont have a choice.
They all got the ball because they had a QB good enough to get it too em. Feeley or Frerotte aren't Manning or Culpepper-like gunners.
 

cigar

Scout Team
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Regan21286 said:
They all got the ball because they had a QB good enough to get it too em. Feeley or Frerotte aren't Manning or Culpepper-like gunners.
True, but look at Gus' #'s from last year when he did play. 100+ QB rating.
 

arsenal

Beastin'
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
8,477
Reaction score
12
Location
Commack, NY
depends on who you ask who the BPA is, scouts.com has benson, others have DJ, others have rodgers, or smith, some have brown... who does saban have?
 

Steve S

Hammered
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
347
Reaction score
0
[


I know we have Chambers and Booker, but look what Linehan did with Moss, Robinson, Cambell, and Burelson last year. They ALL got the ball. And look what he did with his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string backs. They were easily plugged in when Bennett went down. And lets not forget a 3rd rounder already spent on Gordon.
This #2 pick isnt about who will help us or coaching philosophies. Its about a mandate to pick the best player. We dont have a choice.[/QUOTE]

Being a Michigan fan I think Edwards is a great player who MIGHT be the best player in the draft.

That said, he's not the right player for Miami in this draft. Taking him at #2 with no trade down would leave us with too many holes including the gaping one we have at tailback now.

You mentioned Minny's WR's and they are good but here's what they were: Moss (1st rounder) Burleson (3rd rounder) Robinson (free agent castoff) Campbell (undrafted player)

I'd like to see us get another WR but it doesn't have to be a 1st rounder. Courtney Roby, Terrence Murphy and Adriese Curry would all be great slot guys we could get much later in the draft. I think this Maurice Mann we have on our roster is an intriguing one b.c he was a better player in college than his teammate Nate Burleson.

A running back like Brown who does everything well would have a much bigger impact on this offense. I know Minny rotated backs but I think that had more to do with all of their backs having limitations or injury concerns. Brown and Gordon would be a great option to reviving our running game and offense than a rookie WR.

Benson and a trade down would be a great option too.

You win in this league by running the ball and stopping the run and I'd love to see a 1-2 combo of Benson/Hawthorne or Brown/Castillo to acheive both ends.
 

Regan21286

Wa Wa Wee Wa
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
5,465
Reaction score
0
Location
UCLA
cigar said:
True, but look at Gus' #'s from last year when he did play. 100+ QB rating.
Under a great line of course. He won't have that here. Look at Griese: had consecutive 100+ QB ratings in Tampa and ended up with a 97 one while only getting 69 here. I think if this line doesn't suddenly turn into a Pro Bowl line, Frerotte starts looking like he did in Cincy and parts of Wash.
 
Top Bottom