The play that completely changed the game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The play that completely changed the game

Quadfather

Club Member
Reaction score
The pats had just scored to take a 10 nothing lead. But two things happened that never would have happened with past coaching staffs and personnel.

1. Philbin decided to use his timeouts at the end of the half to give the dolphins a chance to score no matter what the pats did on that drive.

2. Tannehill hit clutch 24 yard connection to Matthews to pick up a 3rd and ten. And then hit Wallace with zip on the ball to allow Wallace do what he was brought here to be: A playmaker.

Under past regimes we would not have used those timeouts, playing conservatively instead. If we did, when faced with a third and ten deep in our own territory, we probably would have seen our offense run the ball and just punt it back to the pats, and the pats would have scored again.

But philbin put the ball in Tannehill's hand, and Tannehill delivered. Also, we haven't had a WR since maybe Marshall that could take a deep post and take it 40+ yards for a TD. Wallace is finally earning his money.

Big play. Great coaching. Without it we would have lost by at least 10.

Great win, Go Fins!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pissed when philbin used the first TO. thank god I was wrong. tannehill was money, and Matthews had a couple big grabs today. one before half and one at the end

Lots of players stepping up to the plate this season, many of which are thrown into a difficult spot be it coming in cold or for a play or two. This is quality coaching and Ireland deserves a pat as well. We are a tough team with heart and it's developing, love to see it.

Rishard Matthews is money. I hope he doesn't get lost in the shuffle when Gibson comes back next yr

I agree, I know we won, but feel ashamed because I knew the Patriots would somehow win in the end.

I am not sure of that makes me a bad fan or a fickle fan, but I just felt we were going to lose in the end.

I only admit this to be credible and not be a fraud. When we got down 10-0 I felt it was all over.

I am totally sorry I gave up.

The pats had just scored to take a 10 nothing lead. But two things happened that never would have happened with past coaching staffs and personal.

1. Philbin decided to use his timeouts at the end of the half to give the dolphins a chance to score no matter what the pats did on that drive.

2. Tannehill hit clutch 24 yard connection to Matthews to pick up a 3rd and ten. And then hit Wallace with zip on the ball to allow Wallace do what he was brought here to be: A playmaker.

Under past regimes we would not have used those timeouts, playing conservatively instead. If we did, when faced with a third and ten deep in our own territory, we probably would have seen our offense run the ball and just punt it back to the pats, and the pats would have scored again.

But philbin put the ball in Tannehill's hand, and Tannehill delivered. Also, we haven't had a WR since maybe Marshall that could take a deep post and take it 40+ yards for a TD. Wallace is finally earning his money.

Big play. Great coaching. Without it we would have lost by at least 10.

Great win, Go Fins!

Good call but I think the game which really changed the outcome was the 4th and 5 and the decision to go for it. In the past we would have punted right there and hoped for our D and relied on our time outs and the 2 minute warning and sent a prayer upstairs to get the ball back.
Our section was screaming to go for it and when we really lined up with our O everybody was like "oh ****, he really does it"
:lol:

No doubt that Philbin had a great day today, this was probably his best game coaching in the time he's been here......the players are buying what he is selling and we are ending the season playing our best ball.....now if we can play a full game instead of a half we have a chance to win this thing and by that I mean the Super Bowl......yes I said it, we can be that good if we played 4 quarters.....no body is playing better at this point in the season.....

Rishard Matthews is money. I hope he doesn't get lost in the shuffle when Gibson comes back next yr

There is a place for both players. This team will be nasty in 4 receiver sets next season if we can fix the OL. Gibson impressed the hell out of me before he got hurt, dude plays with heart.

Good call but I think the game which really changed the outcome was the 4th and 5 and the decision to go for it. In the past we would have punted right there and hoped for our D and relied on our time outs and the 2 minute warning and sent a prayer upstairs to get the ball back.
Our section was screaming to go for it and when we really lined up with our O everybody was like "oh ****, he really does it"
:lol:

I agree that was an important play. But if we gave the ball back to the patriots with a Minute plus and 2-3 TO at the end of the half, we would be down at least 13-0, maybe 17-0. That's at least a 10 point swing. If that happened we wouldn't have even been in position for that 4th and 5 to mean anything.

what's great is that these players WANT to step up for their qb, tannehill is becoming the leader of this team. A true QB. he will continue to make the players around him better, and that's what the greats do.

Not sure, we don't lay down for anybody except for laying the egg in NO. Fins got pretty good fight and don't pack it when they're down.

This team finally has threats on the outside and people are worried a good player will get lost in the shuffle with other good players?

That's a great problem.

NE put there best cover guy on our damn TE for **** sake, leaving Wallace and Hartline to have huge days.

I agree that was an important play. But if we gave the ball back to the patriots with a Minute plus and 2-3 TO at the end of the half, we would be down at least 13-0, maybe 17-0. That's at least a 10 point swing. If that happened we wouldn't have even been in position for that 4th and 5 to mean anything.

Let's agree that there were several big calls and game changing moments. I wouldn't put one over the other because with either call not happen we probably walk of the field as losers. There were many great plays today and great teams make those. Today we made them and we limited our mistakes.

It was one of those games which justifies being a Dolphins fan. :lol:

dolphans- life is more fun when you stand with them through thick and then instead of trashing them the whole day. That way, when they DO pull through, you can kind of share the moment with a little pride. Try it!

I agree those plays got us actually IN to the game..
The play that defined the game was Clay's first down going for it on 4th and 5. We surly would have lost if we had giving the ball back to the Pats.
the two defended passes at the end of the game by Thomas. Those were the plays that sealed the game!

Back
Top Bottom