The play that should make Tannehill's biggest detractors step back and smile | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The play that should make Tannehill's biggest detractors step back and smile

Great play. Big boy play on a pivotal 3rd down. But we know by now that plays like that aren't the norm. Tannehill has always flashed and teased.

tease like a stripper?....lol

Ozzy rules!!

Down 3, under 6 minutes to play, near midfield and it is 3rd and 7.

bh4qIU.gif

I'm glad you posted this and not the pass to stills. This was def the play that I've been waiting to see from him.

Making a play under pressure in crunch time when it matters. You want to win ball games as a qb, you need to make these kinds of plays.

Hopfully he keeps it up.

Tannehill has always had the physical ability to make throws like this. It's probably the only reason he still starts. Where it seems he still struggles is reading defenses before and after the snap.

He didn't come up short. It was a perfect pass. Back shoulder vs that leverage and coverage.

I think he meant the earlier deep pass to Stills that was underthrown. However, Still needs to go up and catch that one with his hands rather than wait for it to get to his chest. Not a great pass, but okay for a 40 yard throw. Stills should make that play...he does not high point balls though.

I'm one of his biggest detractors and I think what most of us want is for him to break one way or the other and not just keep muddling around in mediocrity. I only got to watch the 4th qrt. yesterday and he did everything I want my qb to do. Stuff he consistently failed at in the past. That said, I'm not sure the underthrow to Stills at the end was great or lucky. He typically doesn't throw guys open like that. He has had games and short stretches in past of playing well, he has a long way to go until he proves me wrong. If your RB is getting 200 yrds. any decent NFL qb is going to have success.

I've seen a few "detractors" manning up and giving credit to Tannehill after this game so I have a new found respect for some posters here. Kudos for being stand up.

That play changed everything about that game. Wanna know whats crazy....look at the time and score in that video. We scored 2 TD's in the last 5 minutes of that game. When was the last time we got to feel what that's like??? Totally ramped up every person in the stadium, from the players all the way to the beer vendor.

as to the bolded, that was not luck. I wasn't sure either until I watched the replay over a few times. That was the only place to put the ball. My seat was upper deck in the end zone directly behind our offense so it was like one of those "coach tape" views..... and when he was throwing the ball my heart sank bc I saw the safety was coming in over top. If he had tried to lead him it was INT all the way. Stills had his eyes back on him and you could see the adjustment was made by stills almost as soon as he let the ball go. He completely threw him open.

Tannehill has always had the physical ability to make throws like this. It's probably the only reason he still starts. Where it seems he still struggles is reading defenses before and after the snap.

I think his pre-snap reads are pretty good. Gase has even said, on several occasions, that Tannehill has checked out of some bad plays into some very good plays. He sometimes gets confused on post snap reads though. And Rex Ryan has been the best at getting in Tannehill's head. Showing blitz and dropping 7 in coverage, dropping DE's back in coverage while blitzing linebackers or DBs...Rex is pretty good at disguising his defense post snap.

Normally the O-line doesn't hold up long enough for Tannehill to recognize what's happening and that's where the sacks come in.

I think his pre-snap reads are pretty good. Gase has even said, on several occasions, that Tannehill has checked out of some bad plays into some very good plays. He sometimes gets confused on post snap reads though. And Rex Ryan has been the best at getting in Tannehill's head. Showing blitz and dropping 7 in coverage, dropping DE's back in coverage while blitzing linebackers or DBs...Rex is pretty good at disguising his defense post snap.

Normally the O-line doesn't hold up long enough for Tannehill to recognize what's happening and that's where the sacks come in.

I'm not necessarily talking only about audibles. A QB should have a good idea which route he wants to hit pre-snap.

I'm not necessarily talking only about audibles. A QB should have a good idea which route he wants to hit pre-snap.

Even Gase said in his presser that if the defense calls the right play they can take away all the receivers. Even if he has an idea where he wants to go pre-snap...which he has his progressions...if the defense is in the right coverage and everyone is covered then what?

Even Gase said in his presser that if the defense calls the right play they can take away all the receivers. Even if he has an idea where he wants to go pre-snap...which he has his progressions...if the defense is in the right coverage and everyone is covered then what?

I don't understand what you're getting at here. Are you saying Tannehill is making good reads and adjustments pre-snap? That he audibles correctly based on a presser? I think he struggles with both aspects. We can only judge it based on results. We don't know the play calls. And, the results so far are not overly impressive.

I don't put much stock in press conferences of coaches. They will rarely, if ever, criticize their QB that they plan of starting all 16 games. Most of the time they stay positive and any real criticism will be done in private.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. Are you saying Tannehill is making good reads and adjustments pre-snap? That he audibles correctly based on a presser? I think he struggles with both aspects. We can only judge it based on results. We don't know the play calls. And, the results so far are not overly impressive.

I don't put much stock in press conferences of coaches. They will rarely, if ever, criticize their QB that they plan of starting all 16 games. Most of the time they stay positive and any real criticism will be done in private.

If reading defenses are such a problem, why hasn't he had more problems with INTs in his career?

I guess. I don't know what to tell you. The coach has been critical of a lot of players, cut a few, benched a few others but he's backing the QB just because he's the QB I guess...in your mind anyway. Gase has praised Tannehill's audibles on multiple occasions this year not just yesterday but I guess some people are blinded by hate. So carry on.

Back
Top Bottom