The Play | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Play

They all stood lined up on the endzone the primary receiver dropped deeper unnoticed once the punter was in an angle to toss it.

Had he stayed put, they would have tackled him IN the endzone. The punter also did sell it he had the balls to run in the would be tackler's direction until he came close enough for him to bite.

Gotcha the way they spread the formation left a natural gap between defenders.
It look like the gap was wide enough that the ball carrier (assuming the center sealed off his block) could run through.

We run that play in 7 man flag football. App State it's called. Defender comes up you pitch. Defender stays back you run.

...but run by a punter. Now that does make it impressive.

That's my summer abode...why can't we ever beat Georgia Southern!?!

Why do you think the defender let the punter/kicker..whomever it was that caught the ball go?
IMO, It was unlike that runner was going to win the battle against two tacklers.
I assume that person responsibility was to stay with the guy that ended up catching the ball.
That tackler should have stayed in coverage.

I've seen this play several times in HS games, but I never expected to see it in the NFL... and I suppose this is why it worked, most of the defenders had probably never seen it.

The hook and lateral in the playoffs vs. Chargers is by far number 1.

Miami Miracle probably 2.

The fake spike probably 3. Great play, but the Jets didn't completely bite and played their coverage. Not as trickeration as history has portrayed it. Marino completes that pass to Ingram for the TD fake or no fake. He was just that damn good.

Last weekend's play doesn't make any lists.

Why do you think the defender let the punter/kicker..whomever it was that caught the ball go?
IMO, It was unlike that runner was going to win the battle against two tacklers.
I assume that person responsibility was to stay with the guy that ended up catching the ball.
Probably got all confused / caught up in the surprise / weirdness of it all.

The hook and lateral in the playoffs vs. Chargers is by far number 1.

Miami Miracle probably 2.

The fake spike probably 3. Great play, but the Jets didn't completely bite and played their coverage. Not as trickeration as history has portrayed it. Marino completes that pass to Ingram for the TD fake or no fake. He was just that damn good.

Last weekend's play doesn't make any lists.
Who was in coverage? Was it James Hasty? You’re right but he kinda half arsed it. Agree on the hook and lateral. The Orange Bowl was so loud it shook televisions right off of their stands. That play took us from 24-0 to 24-17 w all the momentum going into halftime in a game we would eventually take the lead and almost close out. Playoff game to boot. Fake spike was great but it overshadows something about that game. We were down 24-6 going into the 4th I believe. Marino led 3 TD drives (all TD passes to Ingram) for a comeback win we really didn’t deserve. Back then an 18 point comeback was probably like a 24 point comeback today. Miami Miracle was awesome because of the sheer ridiculous low probability of it working. Like 0.0000000000000000001% x infinity. And it made the Pats look foolish lol.

Thought you all would enjoy hearing what Dolphins' STC Danny Crossman had to say about The Mountaneer Shot.

"Any play that will be clear for us and cloudy for them", Danny Crossman

Who was in coverage? Was it James Hasty? You’re right but he kinda half arsed it. Agree on the hook and lateral. The Orange Bowl was so loud it shook televisions right off of their stands. That play took us from 24-0 to 24-17 w all the momentum going into halftime in a game we would eventually take the lead and almost close out. Playoff game to boot. Fake spike was great but it overshadows something about that game. We were down 24-6 going into the 4th I believe. Marino led 3 TD drives (all TD passes to Ingram) for a comeback win we really didn’t deserve. Back then an 18 point comeback was probably like a 24 point comeback today. Miami Miracle was awesome because of the sheer ridiculous low probability of it working. Like 0.0000000000000000001% x infinity. And it made the Pats look foolish lol.
I was thinking it was Aaron Glenn, but I haven't watched it for years.

Imagine if they had run this play against WASH instead of the failed Drake bubble screen.

Of course if it didn’t work, they’d have been equally roasted, maybe even more so.

Back
Top Bottom