The QB Debate | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The QB Debate

Good article, but terrible grammar throughout. While I'm not a grammar buff, he failed to leave out a lot of commas and periods. But grammar wasn't what he was trying to teach, instead he was attempting to get a point across... which he did.

MArino has lifted the expectations that come with being a first rounder... But you don't espect any QB to be a Marino now... Would You?? You setting yourself up for a let down..:D

HOORAH:drinker:

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
MArino has lifted the expectations that come with being a first rounder... But you don't espect any QB to be a Marino now... Would You?? You setting yourself up for a let down..:D

HOORAH:drinker:

Marino was one of a kind.

""Everybody in this league is always complaining about their quarterback," said Tom Donahoe, general manager of the Buffalo Bills. "Very few teams are satisfied with the people they have at that position, so when somebody becomes available you think has a chance to make you better, you have to go after him. And that's what teams are doing."

I guess WanSpiel feels the same way.

"There's something to be said for that," Holcomb said. "Look at Elway, Joe Montana . . . Hall of Fame quarterbacks stayed in the same system for a long period of time. And they can react to things.

This is why Fiedler should start. You better hope those screws in his thumb hasn't affected his throwing. Fins are in a must win situation. If Fiedlers thumb is screwed (double meaning :D ) you may be forced to go with Griese who doesn't know Norv's system. In the meantime, the fins are running out of time. You may lose some important players next year to make room for cap.

i disagree

Everyone always makes vague little references to Dolphin cap trouble this year or next, but the truth is, we micromanage these things in a VERY effective manner.

The funny thing is, everyone whines when we don't pick up big-name FAs and sign them to front-loaded contracts. Everyone whines when we pick up a solid LB and prepare to groom him to replace our beastly LBs...

Notice when Darryl Gardener left, everyone said the Miami Run D would suffer? Did we?

Well, if we lose one big name every year (except Zach/JT/Ricky/Pat), we'll be ok because we keep bringing in good talent. We're in a very ideal situation, because we can keep our nucleus intact and have the Pro-Bowl vets lend insight to the new guys. As long as Ricky, JT, Zach, and Pat remain here, we have an incredible team (and from their contracts, except for Pats which needs to be redone, it seems like they will be here for a long time). And when the new guys are ready (see: TBuck versus Surtain in his second year) they take over. We have solid DT depth (perhaps the best in the league) so losing Bowens won't sink our team. If we sign Knight, we'll be able to let Freeman mature for another year and groom him to replace Marion.

Also, we have players that have shown a willingness to restructure to remain on this SB-caliber team in one of the best cities in the world.

Mark my words, we're going to be fierce for a LONG time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by justafan
If Fiedlers thumb is screwed (double meaning :D ) you may be forced to go with Griese who doesn't know Norv's system. In the meantime, the fins are running out of time. You may lose some important players next year to make room for cap.

I think there are exceptions to the rule about QBs/new system learning curve.
Wasn't Kurt Warner in his first year with the Rams when they won it all,and Brad Johnson last season had to learn Grudens system in just one years.Kelly had success early with the Bills and Marino brought Miami to the playoffs then the SB the following season.
There maybe other examples i'm unaware of. So it's not impossible to think that Greise could learn Norvs system well enough to run it effectively.

Re: i disagree

Originally posted by infiltrateib
Everyone always makes vague little references to Dolphin cap trouble this year or next, but the truth is, we micromanage these things in a VERY effective manner.

The funny thing is, everyone whines when we don't pick up big-name FAs and sign them to front-loaded contracts. Everyone whines when we pick up a solid LB and prepare to groom him to replace our beastly LBs...

Notice when Darryl Gardener left, everyone said the Miami Run D would suffer? Did we?

Well, if we lose one big name every year (except Zach/JT/Ricky/Pat), we'll be ok because we keep bringing in good talent. We're in a very ideal situation, because we can keep our nucleus intact and have the Pro-Bowl vets lend insight to the new guys. As long as Ricky, JT, Zach, and Pat remain here, we have an incredible team (and from their contracts, except for Pats which needs to be redone, it seems like they will be here for a long time). And when the new guys are ready (see: TBuck versus Surtain in his second year) they take over. We have solid DT depth (perhaps the best in the league) so losing Bowens won't sink our team. If we sign Knight, we'll be able to let Freeman mature for another year and groom him to replace Marion.

Also, we have players that have shown a willingness to restructure to remain on this SB-caliber team in one of the best cities in the world.

Mark my words, we're going to be fierce for a LONG time.

I agree. Windows close for players, not for teams. Everytime some Miami player says we only have a year or two with this nucleus, some Miami fan panics. Miami's nucleus will continue to change. Good drafting, signings and cap management will keep Miami a contender for an indefinite period of time.

Originally posted by Hellion

I think there are exceptions to the rule about QBs/new system learning curve.
Wasn't Kurt Warner in his first year with the Rams when they won it all,and Brad Johnson last season had to learn Grudens system in just one years.Kelly had success early with the Bills and Marino brought Miami to the playoffs then the SB the following season.
There maybe other examples i'm unaware of. So it's not impossible to think that Greise could learn Norvs system well enough to run it effectively.

All those QB's were there for the mini camps and all..basically they almost had a whole year to learn the system, not just 2 months..like Griese will have..plus they weren't known as QB's who tripped over their dogs...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom