The Quarterback Question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Quarterback Question

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
When Nick Saban and his offensive staff sit down before the draft and discuss the quarterback situation, these are the two questions that I believe will come up.

First, Can AJ be a good starting quarterback in the NFL? I think the answer to this question is yes. AJ has the physical skills to be a good starting quarterback in the NFL and simply lacks experienced and a structured offense at this point.

Second, Can AJ be a great starting quarterback in the NFL? This is where I don't think anyone can answer with a definitive yes, and this may turn out to be the biggest issue over whether the Dolphins decide to draft Aaron Rodgers or if they decide to go another route with either Braylon Edwards or Cadillac Williams.

No one really knows whether or not Aaron Rodgers can be a great quarterback in the NFL. The key is though, he hasn't given anyone a reason to believe that he can't be a great quarterback in the NFL. I think, despite his limited experience, AJ has shown some things that make you believe that his upside is at the good level, not the great level.

Nick Saban made it clear at his presser that he wants a quarterback that can make plays. This is a stark contrast from the Wannstedt and Johnson years, where they wanted a quarterback that wouldn't turn the ball over. While Nick wants to limit turnovers, the emphasis will be put back on the ability to make plays at this position. The question is, will Nick settle for a good quarterback, or will he take the chance on getting a great quarterback.

The drawback is that Miami will have used a 1st and 2nd round pick on quarterbacks if they choose to draft Rodgers, but Nick wasn't the decision maker in that situation. He can't base his decisions now on what Rick Spielman did last year. He's got to look at the body of work he has in the present and make decisions based on that.

The decisions made at this position is ultimately why Dave Wannstedt failed as the Dolphins head coach, and it is very likely why Jimmy Johnson lost the desire to continue coaching in 1999. Ironically, the toughest decision Nick Saban has to deal with is the quarterback situation, and it might just be this decision that everyone looks back on in five years to say "that's the reason Nick has had great success", or "that is the reason Nick Saban hasn't done as well as expected."

If I were making this decision, I'd choose to go with the quarterback at the #2 pick. I want a great quarterback. I don't want a situation where I have to rely on the talent around my quarterback for him to be successful. If the opportunity to get a great quarterback presents itself, that is an opportunity I wouldn't pass on.

I like A.J. Feeley. Had Miami won against Baltimore and dropped to the 7th pick, I would make the decision to stick with AJ Feeley and improve the talent around him. At this point though, it looks like a very good possibility that Miami will have the opportunity to get themselves a potentially great young quarterback, and as I have said, I simply couldn't pass on that opportunity.

I figured this subject would be more intellgently discussed in this forum rather than the main board.

I have a question for you, where would either of these two QBs rate in last years draft?

Seriously, I don't know.

If the answer is lower than Losman, Then why go there this year

If Feeley can be a good QB, I think next year will prove that, one way or the other. If he proves to be capable then we have wasted a chance to give him some awesome weapons to work with, and instead we have a highly paid first round QB whom we know next to nothing about, sitting on the bench who we'll be forced to keep instead of Feeley.

I don't think I'd want to be in San Diego's position right now...sure they can turn some picks out of the deal but, they are losing a pro-bowl starting QB for an unknown. (No matter how highly touted Rivers may be, he basically still has not played in the NFL)

If he proves that he's nothing more than what we already have seen then, we'll be picking high in the draft next year too.

So, what do the QB prospects for next year look like? :)

I think they would have gone below all but Losman. Personally I didn't have Rivers as high as he went - I would have Leinart over Rivers, but that's how I see it.

inFINSible said:
I have a question for you, where would either of these two QBs rate in last years draft?

Seriously, I don't know.

If the answer is lower than Losman, Then why go there this year

If Feeley can be a good QB, I think next year will prove that, one way or the other. If he proves to be capable then we have wasted a chance to give him some awesome weapons to work with, and instead we have a highly paid first round QB whom we know next to nothing about, sitting on the bench who we'll be forced to keep instead of Feeley.

I don't think I'd want to be in San Diego's position right now...sure they can turn some picks out of the deal but, they are losing a pro-bowl starting QB for an unknown. (No matter how highly touted Rivers may be, he basically still has not played in the NFL)

If he proves that he's nothing more than what we already have seen then, we'll be picking high in the draft next year too.

So, what do the QB prospects for next year look like? :)

I think Leinart would be behind Eli Manning only, and I think Rodgers would have likely gone around the area that Roethlisberger went. I'm basing this off what Rodgers and Leinart have done this year as well as their projectability.

Two years ago, when Carson Palmer and Byron Leftwich were drafted, Eli Manning would have still been a top 10 pick, wheras Philip Rivers would have likely been a 3rd round pick and Roethlisberger a late 1st round pick. A year changes a lot of things.

What if you pass on taking Rodgers with the 2nd pick, and AJ shows no improvement during the season? AJ's contract makes it possible to release him after his second season with a minimal cap hit, but the problem is that you don't have anyone behind him that you can look towards. You would then be banking on a prime quarterback prospect being available for the 2006 draft, and to be honest, I don't see one jumping out at me at this point. The top guy for 2006 might be the Bowling Green quarterback whose name I cannot remember. Suddenly, the Dolphins are looking at the same tailspin they have been in at this position for the last five seasons. You have the glorified runners in Vince Young and Reggie McNeal who will get a lot of pub, but they aren't great quarterback prospects because they are average to below average passers.

Would you rather be in a situation like the San Diego Chargers are in now, or would you rather be in a situation like the Pittsburgh Steelers were in after they passed on Chad Pennington in 2000? The Steelers stuck with Kordell Stewart, and they paid for it until they got Roethlisberger this season.

KB21 said:
I think Leinart would be behind Eli Manning only, and I think Rodgers would have likely gone around the area that Roethlisberger went. I'm basing this off what Rodgers and Leinart have done this year as well as their projectability.

Two years ago, when Carson Palmer and Byron Leftwich were drafted, Eli Manning would have still been a top 10 pick, wheras Philip Rivers would have likely been a 3rd round pick and Roethlisberger a late 1st round pick. A year changes a lot of things.

What if you pass on taking Rodgers with the 2nd pick, and AJ shows no improvement during the season? AJ's contract makes it possible to release him after his second season with a minimal cap hit, but the problem is that you don't have anyone behind him that you can look towards. You would then be banking on a prime quarterback prospect being available for the 2006 draft, and to be honest, I don't see one jumping out at me at this point. The top guy for 2006 might be the Bowling Green quarterback whose name I cannot remember. Suddenly, the Dolphins are looking at the same tailspin they have been in at this position for the last five seasons. You have the glorified runners in Vince Young and Reggie McNeal who will get a lot of pub, but they aren't great quarterback prospects because they are average to below average passers.

Would you rather be in a situation like the San Diego Chargers are in now, or would you rather be in a situation like the Pittsburgh Steelers were in after they passed on Chad Pennington in 2000? The Steelers stuck with Kordell Stewart, and they paid for it until they got Roethlisberger this season.
You don't think Rodgers is too small?

I would accept Leinhart at number 2 but Rodgers scares me.

KB21 said:
The drawback is that Miami will have used a 1st and 2nd round pick on quarterbacks if they choose to draft Rodgers, but Nick wasn't the decision maker in that situation. He can't base his decisions now on what Rick Spielman did last year. He's got to look at the body of work he has in the present and make decisions based on that.

Fantastic point.

inFINSible said:
You don't think Rodgers is too small?

I would accept Leinhart at number 2 but Rodgers scares me.

I agree. I think I'd rather trade back from 2 if Leinart isnt there

Back
Top Bottom