The real value of draft picks...? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The real value of draft picks...?

I hope Miami’s FO is watching SEA vs SF and how a dominant Dline can control a game.
Garopolo is fool's gold who looks like he should be replaced now that Emmanuel Sanders is out. It's no real mystery.

Chris Carson could control the game if he didn't fumble every time he's breathed on.

I think your idea around value of their first contract is a winner. Maybe look at the contract vs that year's distribution and use the number of standard deviations from the mean as your metric. That way you aren't comparing today's salaries vs the salaries of a few years ago. I'm not sure how deep you'll go with this number but just something to consider is maybe weighing players that resign with their own team a little differently than those who hit free agency, both should have good contracts if they are a successful pick, but the FA contract will obviously be much higher.
Once I get the data in a clean format, I'll check what kind of variance I get from this.
Less heavy on stats but you could do it on the value of the life of the contract as a % of the salary cap total over the duration of the contract

Great idea! Salaries going up are a direct function of the cap going up every year, hadnt thought about that, good call!
View attachment 32489

Thats a good bird eyes view, thanks for finding the chart.

Allright, Im getting on it... I'll use the salary vs cap and also check if I can include some position specific stats. Now this might take a little while depending on how many sources I need to use for the data and how hard it'll be to make everything all fit together but I definitely coming back with some results.

Thank you all for your input.

Back
Top Bottom