The Ricky story buried beneath all the salary "demand" crap | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Ricky story buried beneath all the salary "demand" crap

DrAstroZoom

Bon vivant
Reaction score
If the Herald hadn't rattled Steinberg's cage over the built-in salary questions in Ricky's contract, this would have been Jason Cole's lede:

Steinberg said that once Williams returns here, he will submit to regular drug tests earlier than already required. Under terms of the NFL substance abuse policy, Williams will be randomly tested the remainder of his career, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed Tuesday.

''A player who receives a four-game suspension [and thus enters Stage 3] is subject to regular drug testing [up to 10 times a month] for the remainder of his career,'' Aiello wrote in an e-mail to The Herald.

Williams is facing a four-game suspension and likely will not be able to play until the Oct. 16 game at Tampa Bay.

The benefit for Williams' submitting to testing early is that he likely would be able to join the Dolphins at the beginning of training camp. The Dolphins are tentatively scheduled to open training camp July 24.

Aiello said Williams faces a one-year suspension if he reapplies to the league before July 27. However, two other sources said the league is expected to forgive Williams a few days if he is cooperative.

Why is no one talking about this? Why is no one commenting on what it says about Ricky's commitment to coming back? Why is no one giving him a nod for not wanting to disrupt training camp by coming back after it has already started?

Because you're doing exactly what the Herald wants you to do: grouse about Ricky's salary demands -- demands which aren't demands at all, but a one-line response from an agent that really didn't want to discuss the money issue. The Herald wants you to talk about money because it's sexier water cooler talk.

Buck the system. Comment on what you think about this "buried lede."

DrAstroZoom said:
The Herald wants you to talk about money because it's sexier water cooler talk.

Very, very sexy. :wink:

DrAstroZoom said:
Because you're doing exactly what the Herald wants you to do: grouse about Ricky's salary demands -- demands which aren't demands at all, but a one-line response from an agent that really didn't want to discuss the money issue. The Herald wants you to talk about money because it's sexier water cooler talk.

No cause the only reason Ricky is talking about coming back IS money. The phins hold his finances by the balls and with 3 kids under different woman and having to pay out to all of them Ricky isn't financially secure. His goal is to pick up a $3.7 million payment, get the huge sum he owes the dolphins dropped and then we will see Ricky force himself to get cut.

Honestly I don't buy his reasons for coming back. He'll come back for those 2 things and then be real lackluster and not play with that same toughness as before and aim to get himself cut after the season.

VanDolPhan said:
No cause the only reason Ricky is talking about coming back IS money. The phins hold his finances by the balls and with 3 kids under different woman and having to pay out to all of them Ricky isn't financially secure. His goal is to pick up a $3.7 million payment, get the huge sum he owes the dolphins dropped and then we will see Ricky force himself to get cut.

Honestly I don't buy his reasons for coming back. He'll come back for those 2 things and then be real lackluster and not play with that same toughness as before and aim to get himself cut after the season.

Wow, my friend. You have set a new standard for conspiracy theories. "I'll play well enough so that I can get cut. Yeahhhh ... that's the ticket."

Hmmmmmmmmmm ... don't think I'm buying it. :)

VanDolPhan said:

Then Ricky would be even more of an idiot than I thought (not sure thats even possible).
Ricky's salary isn't guaranteed, its all base. So...if Ricky gets cut, Ricky doesnt get paid.

As for getting the 8.6mil erased.... there is NO way that the Phins are going to agree to 3.7mil/year AND forget the 8.6 mil. Wayne was just honored as being the only man in history to be the founder of 3 different Fortune 500 companies. The man isnt stupid.

edit: didnt see the 2nd part of your post stating you thought Ricky would try to get cut after the season, in which case he would be paid for 1. He would still owe the 8.6mill though.

yankeehillbilly said:
Then Ricky would be even more of an idiot than I thought (not sure thats even possible).
Ricky's salary isn't guaranteed, its all base. So...if Ricky gets cut, Ricky doesnt get paid.

As for getting the 8.6mil erased.... there is NO way that the Phins are going to agree to 3.7mil/year AND forget the 8.6 mil. Wayne was just honored as being the only man in history to be the founder of 3 different Fortune 500 companies. The man isnt stupid.

edit: didnt see the 2nd part of your post stating you thought Ricky would try to get cut after the season, in which case he would be paid for 1. He would still owe the 8.6mill though.

good post bluebellyhillbilly :D
I am under the impression that Ricky has to fulfill his entire contract (2 years?) in order to keep the 8.5 mill. is this true?

DrAstroZoom said:
If the Herald hadn't rattled Steinberg's cage over the built-in salary questions in Ricky's contract, this would have been Jason Cole's lede:

Why is no one talking about this? Why is no one commenting on what it says about Ricky's commitment to coming back? Why is no one giving him a nod for not wanting to disrupt training camp by coming back after it has alreadsy started?

Really good point and it will be interesting to see how the Media tries to handle the Ricky - Saban thing down the road.

yankeehillbilly said:

That's just it though he won't come back unless he's paid the $3.7 and has the $8.6 million dropped.

Don't be naive people this guy quit because he doesn't have a passion for football. He's only back cause of the money issues and that's it.

DrAstroZoom said:
Wow, my friend. You have set a new standard for conspiracy theories. "I'll play well enough so that I can get cut. Yeahhhh ... that's the ticket."

Hmmmmmmmmmm ... don't think I'm buying it. :)

Just like people didn't buy his history of past mental issues and fluffed it off as being an untreated symptom of the Saints. That everything was going to be miraculously better in Miami.

The phins have this guy in a hole with money and the only reason he's coming back is because of it. As soon as he gets the option he will get out of the league again. I'd be willing to put $50 down that he'll be out of the league in 2 years again.

There's also no talk of him going back on his meds for his disorders and he left his prior meds cause 'weed' was better. How do you think he's going to be untreated for his disorders. I haven't heard one bit about that so far.

What concerns me is Ricky has to test 10 times a year....do you guys really think Ricky is going to be able to stay away from the weed? One more strike and Ricky could be banned from the NFL for life. You have to wonder if Ricky's motives are just to attempt to show his trying to come back so he can get his 8 million, more than him wanting to really contribute to the team. I hope Ricky has changed his ways, BUT call me SKEPTICAL. :mad:

DrAstroZoom said:

Why is no one talking about this? Why is no one commenting on what it says about Ricky's commitment to coming back? Why is no one giving him a nod for not wanting to disrupt training camp by coming back after it has already started?

Are you suggesting we compliment Ricky for submitting to drug tests earlier than he's supposed to?

Players in the NFL are supposed to stay drug free, I'm not sure I share your idea that he's doing anything extrordinary. All players have to take them, and commending him that he's drug free and taking tests (just like everyone else), is like giving him a compliment for getting out of bed in the morning.

You want commitment? How about 8,6 million in commitment. Funny how you suddenly love football when you don't have a dime, but hated it just a year before.

I'll give Ricky a nod the day he walks dirty, bloody and exhausted off the field, after a good performance. He owes us more than money, and the when he starts paying that debt during the games, I'll give him a nod. Till then, he is still the same Ricky that commited the biggest act of treason in Dolphins history.

touborg said:
I'll give Ricky a nod the day he walks dirty, bloody and exhausted off the field, after a good performance. He owes us more than money, and the when he starts paying that debt during the games, I'll give him a nod. Till then, he is still the same Ricky that commited the biggest act of treason in Dolphins history.

that is really well said touborg

touborg said:
Are you suggesting we compliment Ricky for submitting to drug tests earlier than he's supposed to?

I'm not saying you should bake him a cake or that we should name a street in his honor. But the fact is, he is indicating a willingess to do more than is required, and that willingness will in all likelihood help the inevitable media circus upon his arrival be a little bit less of a distraction. So in that respect, yes, he has started the journey of regaining my respect.

touborg said:
I'll give Ricky a nod the day he walks dirty, bloody and exhausted off the field, after a good performance. He owes us more than money, and when he starts paying that debt during the games, I'll give him a nod.

Fair enough.

touborg said:

Players in the NFL are supposed to stay drug free, I'm not sure I share your idea that he's doing anything extrordinary. All players have to take them, and commending him that he's drug free and taking tests (just like everyone else), is like giving him a compliment for getting out of bed in the morning.

You want commitment? How about 8,6 million in commitment. Funny how you suddenly love football when you don't have a dime, but hated it just a year before.

Well said Doc! I'm 100% in agreement with you!

touborg said:
I'll give Ricky a nod the day he walks dirty, bloody and exhausted off the field, after a good performance. He owes us more than money, and the when he starts paying that debt during the games, I'll give him a nod.

Well said.

Back
Top Bottom