The Rivalry is Back. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Rivalry is Back.

Yeah I am. Because with all the injuries all of them.

PS CBs
3rd and 4th safeties
3rd DT
3rd Center
OT playing RG - because we ran out of OGs
BU RT
Playing in weather there was no escape from even on the sidelines
Only 4 WRS to play (one not fully healthy Davis)

The Bills Controlled the game and at the end like with all close games a couple missed opportunities and mistakes and that’s the outcome.

we lost by 2 points with multiple chances to win the football game. So yeah I am happy with a lot of what I saw.

So Yeah I was happy given the total circumstances of the game.

If you think the Bills are not ascending and have leveled off you clearly have NOT watched anything but this game.

And no this is not an injury excuse it is just the facts of the game.

That is now 0-7 for McD coaches football teams in 1 score games recently. (Not good). But this game does nothing to get me thinking Bills are in trouble.

So sorry you think I am on of those people that get pissed at a football game. I clearly am not. I can look at things and be happy about things even in a loss. Because well NFL football doesn’t control my life. In fact it is entertainment for me.
The NFL is a game of attrition. By the time we play again who knows who'll be injured(personally I hope everyone is healthy because I hate that determining games).

I do know we are in game three of a new offensive scheme and we're still having players get on the same page. Reason I say that, barring injuries, the Dolphins will also be a much better team when we play you guys again.

When you run you as a QB you ARE going to get tackled unless you have Lamar speed which only gets you so far. When you stay in the pocket the chances of getting hit reduce. Plus QBs are protected these days when it comes to dropping back to pass. When Allen takes off like he does he becomes a runner. Maybe there is a stat for how many hits he's taking as a passer AND a runner. I'm fine with his running because sooner or later the laws of averages with kick in. He might be built for it but your prize asset is risking injury the more he does it.
How did they Protection help Jones and Dak? Out of Allen’s 8 runs he took two or 3 actual hits.

So what hurts more a hit that you see coming and maybe initiate or a 280 LB DE hitting you square in the back that you never saw coming?

lol at the last bold comment. You could have fooled me (especially considering you openly admit on here to posting all the time on different teams' message boards) Also glad you acknowledge that injuries are part of the game (all teams have to deal with them).
What part of me posting on other boards means that I get Pissed about football?

It is my form of entertainment. When it is no longer entertaining I won’t partake. How does any of that mean I get pissed at games? I grew out of that long ago

The NFL is a game of attrition. By the time we play again who knows who'll be injured(personally I hope everyone is healthy because I hate that determining games).

I do know we are in game three of a new offensive scheme and we're still having players get on the same page. Reason I say that, barring injuries, the Dolphins will also be a much better team when we play you guys again.
Yes and I fully admit that the fins should be better and more used to playing together when we meet again.

But that has no bearing on why I made this replying to a guy of how can you be happy about so much in a loss. Well that is why.

How did they Protection help Jones and Dak? Out of Allen’s 8 runs he took two or 3 actual hits.

So what hurts more a hit that you see coming and maybe initiate or a 280 LB DE hitting you square in the back that you never saw coming?
You know I'm right. No offense but you are reaching. Your HC thinks your crown jewel QB is ok to throw 60 passes and runs as well. Hes in traction by November. Goodnight and God bless. All the best mate. (Not football of course.... meant life in general) 👍

Yes and I fully admit that the fins should be better and more used to playing together when we meet again.

But that has no bearing on why I made this replying to a guy of how can you be happy about so much in a loss. Well that is why.
At the end of the day, you guys had over 90 plays and only scored 17 points.

The fins did more with their opportunities than the Bills did.

You get it. Some here and probably on any board defend to the death, like the Scam Newton comments. The guy couldn't read a D and make the throws, he certainly had enough chances with different teams. The Kelly - Marino rivalry was somewhat different IMO. Buffalo had such a bad organizational structure for years that they couldn't help but lose. Then the got different management and wallah. Smith, Cornbread, Thurman, Kelly, Reed, to name a few with all those high draft choices and the script was flipped with the balance of power going to the Bills for a decade. The Phins with Shula were always drafting later in each round and not always successfully, leading to the power shift.

I'm not about to anoint the Dolphins as the team to beat in the AFC. But, that's a big win against what I believe is the best team in the conference.

Looking at the stats, you would definitely think Buffalo won. Allen had 42 completions for 400 yards. But it came down to three plays. The 45-yard throw to Waddle on third and forever, the goal-line stand, and the forced fumble early that Miami turned into points.

The Dolphins running game is a work in progress. I love the win, but really wanted to see the team run out the clock late from the goal-line. Giving Buffalo and Allen another chance wasn't good for my heart rate!

How big was it for Miami? Every team in the AFC East lost as did KC. Again, Miami is a work in progress. I still think Buffalo is the team to beat, but nice to finally get a win against the Bills.

Classy response, by the way.
To be the Man you have to beat the Man, so they beat the Man ugly or not that's the way it played out, this is not last year's trash, you will find out in Buffalo, sport writers are trying minimize the phins victory, they made the plays that won the game.

What part of me posting on other boards means that I get Pissed about football?

It is my form of entertainment. When it is no longer entertaining I won’t partake. How does any of that mean I get pissed at games? I grew out of that long ago
lol lighten up francis I was clearly just making a light heart joke in regards to you openly saying that you are very active on so many other NFL teams' message boards thru out the season. I don't doubt you don't get "pissed" about any of it (I don't either since its just mindless entertainment after all) but its pretty funny how defensive how you get when anyone makes a harmless post (on a Miami Dolphins fan forum of all places lol)

I was surprised at Bills fans, both before the game and especially after the outcome. Not this thread but on other sites.

They seemingly viewed the disparity between the two teams as 14-20 points instead of all the power rating models which had it more like 6-7 points. I've wagered on this stuff long enough to know that those Cream at Crowd games carry considerable gray area, especially when the point spread is in that -5 to -7 range, where this one was. In 1984 my original model had Cream as the play at -7 or less. That was based on backfit research and indeed it held up the first half dozen years or so. But that was largely because the Montana 49ers were such a dominant road team. They'd often sleepwalk through games at Candlestick and then totally trounce very competent Crowd teams on the road. The early '90s Cowboys also shared that tendency.

Once the dust settled through the later '90s and toward recent years, the Cream advantage in that scenario has suffered and is only full boar when the favoritism is -3.5 or less. That guideline has become extremely clear cut. It plays out that way when either the Cream team feels fully threatened by a higher echelon Crowd foe, or the Cream team is coming off of a weak effort or series of comparatively weak efforts. In that case, the power rating drops, the public begins to doubt the Cream team, and the spread is very low, in the Pick-Em to -3.5 range.

At that point the Cream team is supremely energized and determined to reassert its dominance and place in the pecking order. It equates to a full throttle display and comfortable road victory, often in double digits. I'm not a bet against the public guy but that's one situation in which it absolutely holds up more often than not, when Cream is at Crowd. If the public and media consensus is that Cream will win comfortably, it's typically a closer game than expected. If Cream is doubted they will cruise.

Again, that's because it's a bounce league, not a trend league. But the natural tendency is to expect recent indications to repeat.

I have never seen a fanbase whimper so much about the weather. There are serious posts on one Bills forum after another calling for early season games in South Florida to be banned.

Meanwhile this has been a known quantity for 50+ years. I remember John Brodie coiled up on the 49ers bench late in the 1973 opener in the Orange Bowl. That became a famous picture during that time frame, of the old man quarterback with a towel draped over his head while suffering in the Miami heat magnified by that rock hard Poly Turf. The photo is probably still available somewhere. The heat absolutely played a pivotal role in that game, which nobody ever talks about anymore. I'm not sure many fans here realize that the Dolphins very nearly lost the season opener one year after going 17-0. The 49ers came to town motivated and energized. They outhit and outplayed the Dolphins for 3 quarters, leading by a touchdown entering the 4th. I remember the nervous silence throughout the Orange Bowl. Then almost immediately in the final quarter the heat took its toll. The San Francisco players in those dark uniforms were staggering toward the sideline and immediately kneeling down once they reached the sideline. Griese perked up and led the comeback. Miami totally dominated the 4th quarter.

All the talk after that game was in regards to the weather. I mention this because until Sunday if somebody had asked me to name a Dolphins home game in which heat became the primary topic, that 1973 49ers game would have been all alone at the forefront. Now it has company, but for absurd reasons. Those 49ers noted the weather and how much it impacted them. But nobody was acting as if it had been some unforeseen or totally unfair intruding variable with life and death consequences that never should have been allowed.

No, that distinction falls upon the 2022 Buffalo Bills and their fanbase. I got permanently banned from the Bills subreddit today. Message in my email box. And I don't mind at all. My first few posts over there were non-combative and actually encouraging. I emphasized that subjective power rankings were meaningless, that Buffalo was still 6-7 points above Miami in the math-based reputable power ratings.

The threads persisted, and became exponentially more ludicrous. I reminded that a week earlier they were obsessed with injury reports. Nobody said a thing about weather reports. They were debating at what point of the late 3rd or early 4th quarter Josh Allen would be pulled with a 40 point lead. That was an actual substring in one thread. I reminded that on Saturday the Middle Tennessee players were jumping around on the same sideline all game long, en route to 45 points and a lopsided upset win.

I summarized that I couldn't believe what I was reading, that I assumed their fanbase would be calm and mature enough to take one loss in stride. Instead they sounded like wimps.

That sentence probably inspired the ban. Meanwhile I actually softened it. I initially wrote world class wimps. That fit better.

Again I say winners make plays and losers make excuses. This also goes for their butt hurt fans

I was surprised at Bills fans, both before the game and especially after the outcome. Not this thread but on other sites.

They seemingly viewed the disparity between the two teams as 14-20 points instead of all the power rating models which had it more like 6-7 points. I've wagered on this stuff long enough to know that those Cream at Crowd games carry considerable gray area, especially when the point spread is in that -5 to -7 range, where this one was. In 1984 my original model had Cream as the play at -7 or less. That was based on backfit research and indeed it held up the first half dozen years or so. But that was largely because the Montana 49ers were such a dominant road team. They'd often sleepwalk through games at Candlestick and then totally trounce very competent Crowd teams on the road. The early '90s Cowboys also shared that tendency.

Once the dust settled through the later '90s and toward recent years, the Cream advantage in that scenario has suffered and is only full boar when the favoritism is -3.5 or less. That guideline has become extremely clear cut. It plays out that way when either the Cream team feels fully threatened by a higher echelon Crowd foe, or the Cream team is coming off of a weak effort or series of comparatively weak efforts. In that case, the power rating drops, the public begins to doubt the Cream team, and the spread is very low, in the Pick-Em to -3.5 range.

At that point the Cream team is supremely energized and determined to reassert its dominance and place in the pecking order. It equates to a full throttle display and comfortable road victory, often in double digits. I'm not a bet against the public guy but that's one situation in which it absolutely holds up more often than not, when Cream is at Crowd. If the public and media consensus is that Cream will win comfortably, it's typically a closer game than expected. If Cream is doubted they will cruise.

Again, that's because it's a bounce league, not a trend league. But the natural tendency is to expect recent indications to repeat.

I have never seen a fanbase whimper so much about the weather. There are serious posts on one Bills forum after another calling for early season games in South Florida to be banned.

Meanwhile this has been a known quantity for 50+ years. I remember John Brodie coiled up on the 49ers bench late in the 1973 opener in the Orange Bowl. That became a famous picture during that time frame, of the old man quarterback with a towel draped over his head while suffering in the Miami heat magnified by that rock hard Poly Turf. The photo is probably still available somewhere. The heat absolutely played a pivotal role in that game, which nobody ever talks about anymore. I'm not sure many fans here realize that the Dolphins very nearly lost the season opener one year after going 17-0. The 49ers came to town motivated and energized. They outhit and outplayed the Dolphins for 3 quarters, leading by a touchdown entering the 4th. I remember the nervous silence throughout the Orange Bowl. Then almost immediately in the final quarter the heat took its toll. The San Francisco players in those dark uniforms were staggering toward the sideline and immediately kneeling down once they reached the sideline. Griese perked up and led the comeback. Miami totally dominated the 4th quarter.

All the talk after that game was in regards to the weather. I mention this because until Sunday if somebody had asked me to name a Dolphins home game in which heat became the primary topic, that 1973 49ers game would have been all alone at the forefront. Now it has company, but for absurd reasons. Those 49ers noted the weather and how much it impacted them. But nobody was acting as if it had been some unforeseen or totally unfair intruding variable with life and death consequences that never should have been allowed.

No, that distinction falls upon the 2022 Buffalo Bills and their fanbase. I got permanently banned from the Bills subreddit today. Message in my email box. And I don't mind at all. My first few posts over there were non-combative and actually encouraging. I emphasized that subjective power rankings were meaningless, that Buffalo was still 6-7 points above Miami in the math-based reputable power ratings.

The threads persisted, and became exponentially more ludicrous. I reminded that a week earlier they were obsessed with injury reports. Nobody said a thing about weather reports. They were debating at what point of the late 3rd or early 4th quarter Josh Allen would be pulled with a 40 point lead. That was an actual substring in one thread. I reminded that on Saturday the Middle Tennessee players were jumping around on the same sideline all game long, en route to 45 points and a lopsided upset win.

I summarized that I couldn't believe what I was reading, that I assumed their fanbase would be calm and mature enough to take one loss in stride. Instead they sounded like wimps.

That sentence probably inspired the ban. Meanwhile I actually softened it. I initially wrote world class wimps. That fit better.
You gave it more consideration and eloquence than I would have, usually I just boil it all down to "go **** yourselves" and then I get banned. 😂

Back
Top Bottom