The Rundown: Scouting Staff Breaks Down Undrafted Rookie Free Agents | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Rundown: Scouting Staff Breaks Down Undrafted Rookie Free Agents

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/...taff-breaks-down-undrafted-rookie-free-agents

DE Jonathan Ledbetter, Georgia

“Jonathan, we’re pretty excited about. That’s somebody the scouts really liked, including myself, all year long. Highly recruited kid going into Georgia. Could have gone anywhere (but) he went there. He’s tough, he’s physical. He plays the run really well. He stood out at the Senior Bowl. This guy is a football player. He plays with attitude. He plays violent. I really like what he brings to our team.”

— Adam Engroff

Greg Camarillo was an undrafted rookie. They’re out there. You just have to have a sharp enough eye to see them.

Talk is cheap, I wanna see production on the field, all this hype about every other draft pick or UDFA is getting old , fast.

Talk is cheap, I wanna see production on the field, all this hype about every other draft pick or UDFA is getting old , fast.

Need a hug?

Golly I actually enjoy getting this kind of info -- and obviously
they must have liked the player to sign them or draft them.

I get the strong impression we have some gold nuggets in the
UDFA group and would not be surprised if we roll into the season
with 12 or more rookies on the roster...

Add to that 10 on the PS and we're going to have a LOT of new youth!

Ain't you excited???

:)

Love reading "tough and physical" throughout most of these free agents descriptions. That seems like a common theme and one that I'm very excited about. Miami needs to get tougher and more physical throughout the roster.

I don't know how many will actually make the team, but it might end up being four or more.

The season doesn’t start for another 3.5 months. Until then 99% of what you’ll be hearing about football will be talk and hype. You can take up another hobby until then if you want.

Need a hug?

Golly I actually enjoy getting this kind of info -- and obviously
they must have liked the player to sign them or draft them.

I get the strong impression we have some gold nuggets in the
UDFA group and would not be surprised if we roll into the season
with 12 or more rookies on the roster...

Add to that 10 on the PS and we're going to have a LOT of new youth!

Ain't you excited???

:)
I am, for sure. Been awhile since I've had this positive of an outlook for our future.

Maybe 5.15 works in this scheme. People sure hated 4.85 in the old one

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/...taff-breaks-down-undrafted-rookie-free-agents

DE Jonathan Ledbetter, Georgia

“Jonathan, we’re pretty excited about. That’s somebody the scouts really liked, including myself, all year long. Highly recruited kid going into Georgia. Could have gone anywhere (but) he went there. He’s tough, he’s physical. He plays the run really well. He stood out at the Senior Bowl. This guy is a football player. He plays with attitude. He plays violent. I really like what he brings to our team.”

— Adam Engroff
Good find John!

There may be another Derrick Shelby or two in there somewhere (I think the odds favor Jonathan Ledbetter, Shaq Calhoun, perhaps Cory Thomas)...but to me, Preston Williams is on a different level from what I've seen of Miami's past UDFA classes.

I thought it was an informative article. I wouldn't mind more content like that from the team website. I suppose it's too much to ask for them to be more candid. The team might be surprised that it would strengthen the fan-team connection because the fans would take the team literature more seriously.

The article really only gave positives for each player, Andy Cohen style. It's like they deleted the paragraph for each on negatives (after all, the listed players were undrafted for certain reasons).

Nevertheless, we have quotes from different scouts/personnel folks. We can see what intrigues them about each player. That has some value.

As to the undrafted players, I wouldn't be shocked at all if 5-6 make it. We were woefully thin going into the draft, and then landed only six draft picks, plus Rosen, so there are spots.

Beyond that, we are in the seven round era, but history is littered with guys who came after the seventh round. On the '72-'73 championship teams, you had late picks or free agents all over the place, from Manny Fernandez to Kuech, Langer, Little and others.

Later, we had starters like Jeff Cross (ninth round, on the list of all time sack artists for the team), JB Brown (twelfth round), etc. I think Doug Betters was eighth round but I don't care enough to look it up. I am not trying to be comprehensive with my list. It's just that a number of the undrafteds would have been drafted in an earlier time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom