The Rundown: Scouting Staff Breaks Down Undrafted Rookie Free Agents

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan in Cali, May 12, 2019.

1. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Agree the article looks encouraging. I suspect negatives aren't included to protect the ego of the UDFAs and not discourage them.

I'm more pessimistic about the number that may make the team (excluding PS). There will likely be additions from released players and these should/could endanger UDFAs.

Austin Tatious likes this.
  2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

There was a video series of this they put in YouTube and this article was just a transcript of that.

They rotated staff members to where it basically had the look of each 'sponsor' of a particular UDFA talking about what they saw in the player to add him.

I honestly don't think it's necessary for them to give some exhaustive breakdown of the player's weaknesses. Bill Parcells and I believe Bill Walsh always used to say, in the draft room, don't tell me what a guy can't do, tell me what he can do. They're giving a draft room rundown of why they'd like to think about adding this player. I don't even see the point in exploring their negatives. They're UDFAs. Tell me what you like about the player.

In some cases it's a valuable look into the themes they're trying to hit on as a staff in order to follow the lead of what Brian Flores, Chad O'Shea, Patrick Graham, and Josh Boyer want from the players fitting into their systems. That came through several times with the way Ron Brockington and Adam Engroff discussed some of the defensive backs. Hell I thought Engroff all but said Tyler Horton is Josh Boyer's guy, if you read between the lines. I think it sort of came through in the way Marvin Allen talked about Patrick Laird, too.

Austin Tatious likes this.