The Sentinel - Jamar Fletcher | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Sentinel - Jamar Fletcher

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Sentinel

I just gone done reading the nice "story" they wrote on Jamar Fletcher from Tuesday. I said story because it seems that they are just looking for a good fluff peice and Fletchers tale fit the bill. Everything I have seen or heard from camp this year has Fletcher getting beet and beet bad. From what I have heard he hasn't "out dueled" anyone but is simply benefitting from lack of competion. They wrote the same kinf of article the other day about Dixon, but I have heard the same underacheiving tales about him. Don't get me wrong I hope they are right about their off season training equalling big results, but to lead people a stray by telling them the results are already taking place is bad journalism.

i have been to quite a few practices (im just too busy to type reports.... sorry.....) and fletcher has made his share of nice plays, and share of not so nice ones..... I for one thought this was a great "article." It gave a dose of reality, and it tells you the good things he was doing....... read......

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-newdol07aug07.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines

oh and dajesus, no offense, i know your a finfan and all.... but everything that you say is always negative.... maybe its just me..... w/e

it was a good article in deed about how and why Fletcher is doing what he is doing at camp and this is still the bottom line:

So far he has outdueled everyone for the starting job as the third cornerback in the Dolphins' nickel (five-defensive back) defense.

he may be as good as Cousin or as bad as Wilson, PS games will help us figure that one out soon enough.

For a CB consistency is something that can only really be ironed out through playing more and more. Surtain didn't start til the end of his 2nd year, and even then he wasn't even that great he was solid at best (got beat a lot, not deep necessarily but underneath). Jamar's a little bit behind the Surtain curve, but not that far behind and we won't even know for sure if he is behind Surtain's learning curve until we see Jamar in some preseason games and regular season games. Its easy to lose sight of the whole learning curve thing because both Madison and Surtain are already developed into star CBs. So we see someone actually getting beat and we're like...whoa, what happened there?

An admirable position for one to be in...

I agree...

Originally posted by ckparrothead
For a CB consistency is something that can only really be ironed out through playing more and more. Surtain didn't start til the end of his 2nd year, and even then he wasn't even that great he was solid at best (got beat a lot, not deep necessarily but underneath). Jamar's a little bit behind the Surtain curve, but not that far behind and we won't even know for sure if he is behind Surtain's learning curve until we see Jamar in some preseason games and regular season games. Its easy to lose sight of the whole learning curve thing because both Madison and Surtain are already developed into star CBs. So we see someone actually getting beat and we're like...whoa, what happened there?

An admirable position for one to be in...

.. and further more I don't think Surtain or Madison had this kind of attention placed on them. He needs to play well, but it seems some don't want him to play well because they wanted Brees to be drafted instead of him. I may be wrong, but it just seems that way from here.

Oliver...

the reason people are p*ssed

with fletcher is that they DID NOT AT ALL COSTS want a db as #1 pick...because fletcher as that villified pick did not instantly fit in and play brilliantly he has been totally castigated.....all i was saying is that a high % of #1 and #2 picks at all positions have been known to struggle in their rookie seasons and just need extra time to be NFL ready....as for camp news, it is not a real situation yet....for every bad thing you hear, you hear a good one and some guys tearing it up and playing well in camp are as equally likely to fall flat in gametime, like pre season.....by all means criiticise the pick as being way off mark for a #1..thats wannstedts/spielmans fault..not fletchers....He did not grab it last season and cousin rightly kept him out as he was excellent, we saw very little of fletcher to judge him, now we are condemning him without seeing him play properly, but on camp reports.....all i was asking him is to give him benefit of a #1 pick that you WOULD HAVE LIKED who was struggling early.....he would be getting this same defence if he was not so hated from day 1....hence me saying let him play fully for preseason and early season and give a proper assessment based on some substance....if he is still obviously struggling and just out of depth i'll be one of first to say so......

I do think this is in part because many dolphans didn't like the pick(due to passing on Brees or just lack of need), but the fact is Jamar has done nothing to shake the critics. From holding out last year, to getting beet early and often thus far in camp. The main problem is now that the job has been handed down to him 1st rounder or not he seems to be the biggest weeknes on our defense.

According to who? Not the coaches. Not the beat writers.
It's the same as the Brent Smith situation. No matter what is said by the coaches or writers, some people are just going to keep on finding "problems" just so they can have a platform to espouse their own views. It is ridiculous at this point to say that Fletcher is a problem or a weakness. You have absolutely no concrete evidence one way or the other that he isn't going to be just as good as Sam or Pat, so why sit there and GUESS? Especially negatively? Let the man play a few games before you hang him. Let Brent Smith play before we hang HIM (ck).....for cryin out loud....let the guys play a friggin game before you make a call on somebody...at least then I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you'll see whatever you see with your own eyes.

Actully I am going on what I saw last year, in the scrimage, and the many highlights i have seen on the Sunshine network from camp. As well as the reports i have read from many people who attended camp. I mean look at the depth chart what postion trouble you the most on our d? It doesn't mean that he won't get there by the end of camp, but right now he seems like he has the furthest journey. If you don't like pre season speculation than why ru here?(don't take that as an ivitation to leave, but rahter a statement to put things in prospective.) If you have heard, seen, or fealt anything that could dispute the reports thus far then please share, but please save the homer holier than now attitude.

PS as far as what the coaches and writers have said they both have said in different way that Fletcher is not comming on to strong. The writers have added his many flaws thus far in training camp even when they are trying to write good things about him. As far as the coaches bringing in T Buck a few weeks ago speaks volumes to me.

You're right...I lost my mind for a second......the speculation is driving me crazy.....backandforthbackandforthbackandforthbackandforth.......

I just want to see them play already!!!

maybe I do need a break...lol.
sorry.

Originally posted by inFINSible
You're right...I lost my mind for a second......the speculation is driving me crazy.....backandforthbackandforthbackandforthbackandforth.......

I just want to see them play already!!!

maybe I do need a break...lol.
sorry.

I fealt the same way last week and the 3 prior, but the scrimage and Redskin-49er game gave me enough of a fix to last me untill Mon night.

ck, I think Surtain did, in fact, start at nickel by the start of his second season. Not sure about that though. It was as a starting CB opposite Madison that occurred the end of his second year. I remember that much is correct, anyway, because Buckley was benched and pouted a bit about it. I could be wrong about Surtain starting at nickel the beginning of his second year, though. Not saying we should expect Fletch to do that either, just adding my memory of Surtain's contribution at that point.

Not only could we have had Brees, but the A-train too. There's plenty of reason to look at Fletcher with a fisheye. He has the expectations of a first rounder and has simply not shown ANY of it. The coaches are not impressed which gives us phans every right to not be impressed. Dont get me wrong, i'm pulling for the guy, if for nothing else that we need his contribution, but he carries just a bit higher degree of disappointment than others.

Back
Top Bottom