The Silver Lining... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Silver Lining...

I just want to point to the Matt Moore year. We made a colossal turnaround going from an 0-7 and in pole position in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, to a meaningless 7-9'ish (can't recall exactly) season where we drafted 8th and launched the Tannehill era. Now, Luck ended up having health issues, and didn't pan out. RG3 was a great athlete but a bad QB, so neither of those earlier QB's panned out really. At the time, people like me were disappointed we went on the late season win streak and lost out on a great QB prospect in Luck.

I ask you … how fondly do you remember that Matt Moore season? Does it cause a great swell of Dolphins pride that we came back and made the year respectable even without any shot at the playoffs? Or does it make you feel like you missed a chance on greatness? I feel the latter. While Luck didn't work out … most QB's drafted earlier do better than those drafted later. I remember Don Shula and Dan Marino … and mediocrity holds no great appeal for me. I say ... take a chance on greatness, and I'll never be happy with 7-9 or 8-8 … it's still just losing to me. I'd rather throw the Hail Mary and try to win than make a meaningless 30 yard gain that has no chance of winning for the last play of the game. But that's just me … I want to gamble on greatness.
Flores is trying to win games and the bush league players are playing hard for him. The Jets are absolutely horrific which is why the Fins won today. Did you watch the game and actively root for the Jets?

What I admittedly I do not understand is that you make a plan to get the first pick in the draft , and you screw it up. If we start winni g, then the first 7 losses mean nothing. And welcome back mediocrity.
Whoever said the Dolphins were actively trying to get the first pick in the draft? Chris Grier? Flores? Ross? The team is rebuilding/tanking, but it doesn't mean they're not trying to win with the players they have.

Can you at least give me one actual benefit of winning a game against the Jets for the Fins?

Sure.
It makes ME happy when my team wins. Of course I'm a Dolphins fan so that should be an obvious conclusion.

What is even more important to ME, is watching the growth and development of the coaching staff as much as the players. It will be interesting to see if there are any coaching position changes after this season and which positions are effected.

If the coaching staff can co-ordinate the movement of players getting on or off the field, instill an effective "no penalties" mind set in players, and keep moving on from prima donnas now and in the future, I'll be VERY HAPPY.

Watching The 5th Quarter post game show cut away to Adam Gase's post game comments to the New York media just now is feeling a little Silver Lining-ish to me at the moment.

Cincy just benched Dalton for the rest of the season. You don't need a crystal ball to know that a QB is in their future. They need a QB more than a DE.
But maybe they think Young is a better overall football player and DE than any of the QBs are at their position. What teams are hoping to take a QB in the first round? Not many.

Bye bye Tua Unless you are willing to give up multiple first round pick for him. I’m sure not
While I had no problem with a complete rebuild, I hated the trading of Tunsil and Fitzpatrick. I seriously doubt they will find any players in the draft with the picks they received from the Texans and Steelers which are comparable in talent to Tunsil and Fitzpatrick. The coaches were 100% responsible for failing to get Fitzpatrick to buy into their program.
As far as the tanking for Tua goes, I think he is an excellent college QB who has proved to be injury prone. I would much rather see the Dolphins draft Young or Burrow with their first pick. I think the Dolphins winning today was a positive if they were planning to draft Tua. Because hopefully the Bengals will draft Tua and the Dolphins will will have the opportunity to draft either Burrow or Young.

My concern is the draft picks later in the first round. Players drafted in the latter part of the first round are often hit or miss and it is very likely both those picks will be in the 20’s.

But maybe they think Young is a better overall football player and DE than any of the QBs are at their position. What teams are hoping to take a QB in the first round? Not many.
Yeah...maybe they do think Young is a better overall football player. Maybe they think that a Martian was the other shooter on the grassy knoll during the Kennedy assassination.

Now for the record, teams who need/want a QB are two...us and the Bengals. Herein lies the rub...what will our final draft place be. How far will we be from #1? What would the compensation be to move up say 5 places? Are we willing to give up most everything gained from purging the team to select Tua?

I was perfectly willing to accept Tua with our first pick (1 or 2). I don't know how much I'd be willing to give up to go get him...right now, I'm at nothing. Roll the dice and use all our picks. I'd be happy with Fromm in the 2nd.

What I admittedly I do not understand is that you make a plan to get the first pick in the draft , and you screw it up. If we start winni g, then the first 7 losses mean nothing. And welcome back mediocrity.
It is the Tank for Tua crowd who is on board to get the first pick in the draft. I never heard a single member of the Dolphins organization state that their PLAN was to get the first pick in the draft. There are some great prospects in the top five picks and I have no doubt the Dolphins will still be picking in the top 5 of next years draft.

They might not get a Tua but they could still get Burrow, Young, Okudah, or Thomas with a top 5 pick. Any one of these players could come in and be a long time starter for the Dolphins.

I just want to point to the Matt Moore year. We made a colossal turnaround going from an 0-7 and in pole position in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, to a meaningless 7-9'ish (can't recall exactly) season where we drafted 8th and launched the Tannehill era. Now, Luck ended up having health issues, and didn't pan out. RG3 was a great athlete but a bad QB, so neither of those earlier QB's panned out really. At the time, people like me were disappointed we went on the late season win streak and lost out on a great QB prospect in Luck.

I ask you … how fondly do you remember that Matt Moore season? Does it cause a great swell of Dolphins pride that we came back and made the year respectable even without any shot at the playoffs? Or does it make you feel like you missed a chance on greatness? I feel the latter. While Luck didn't work out … most QB's drafted earlier do better than those drafted later. I remember Don Shula and Dan Marino … and mediocrity holds no great appeal for me. I say ... take a chance on greatness, and I'll never be happy with 7-9 or 8-8 … it's still just losing to me. I'd rather throw the Hail Mary and try to win than make a meaningless 30 yard gain that has no chance of winning for the last play of the game. But that's just me … I want to gamble on greatness.

An interesting post.

I don't have a lot of favorites during a draft because there is just to high a " failure to launch" with those draft picks.

Sometimes it's an internal problem such as adjusting mentally to the NFL game, or just an unwillingness to change what they have been doing in college that made them successful and adapt the NFL models put before them and sometimes its their ego combined with a lot of immaturity coupled to new-found wealth that locks them out of improving themselves.

Then there are the potential external problems of coach's failing to fit a QB's skill set to their system and coaching techniques.

I do value the QB position highly, but realize that any one of say, the five most prominent QB's in the draft, is as likely to be the best pick as any one of the remaining four. We won't know for 2 or 3 years after they are selected who will perform at a high NFL level.

For that reason, I consider the idea of tanking for a specific high draft position to get "the one QB" is a poor use of draft resources.

I'm also a proponent of having at least two competent QB's at all times with an upcoming QB as a third on the team each year. The upcoming QB slot is where we start a new draft pick.

With the HUGE number of draft picks we have, including 3 in the first round, I don't see any problem in getting a very high quality potential franchise QB. We just don't know what that QB's name will be until the draft.

How many times does this need to be explained to our "fans". The coaches and players play to win the FO set the team up to lose,
Thank you. Some of the coaching decisions and play calling this year have been all time horrible. That's what confuses me.

Knock it off guys. No personal attacks allowed

Don't reply just follow the rules

Back
Top Bottom