The Silver Lining... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Silver Lining...

An interesting post.

I don't have a lot of favorites during a draft because there is just to high a " failure to launch" with those draft picks.

Sometimes it's an internal problem such as adjusting mentally to the NFL game, or just an unwillingness to change what they have been doing in college that made them successful and adapt the NFL models put before them and sometimes its their ego combined with a lot of immaturity coupled to new-found wealth that locks them out of improving themselves.

Then there are the potential external problems of coach's failing to fit a QB's skill set to their system and coaching techniques.

I do value the QB position highly, but realize that any one of say, the five most prominent QB's in the draft, is as likely to be the best pick as any one of the remaining four. We won't know for 2 or 3 years after they are selected who will perform at a high NFL level.

For that reason, I consider the idea of tanking for a specific high draft position to get "the one QB" is a poor use of draft resources.

I'm also a proponent of having at least two competent QB's at all times with an upcoming QB as a third on the team each year. The upcoming QB slot is where we start a new draft pick.

With the HUGE number of draft picks we have, including 3 in the first round, I don't see any problem in getting a very high quality potential franchise QB. We just don't know what that QB's name will be until the draft.
Everyone going into this season had surmised that Tua was THE QB. I didn't necessarily agree with that, but I do like the kid as a prospect. Now, there's a decidedly different take amongst scouts. I will not be surprised if Tua goes #1 overall, but I'm not certain he is the best QB prospect in this draft and will also not be surprised if Tua isn't the first QB taken. There are no prospects like Luck in this draft, IMHO. But, this class has some really good QB prospects in it, and almost every flavor people want is available. I want to build the Dolphins into a Super Bowl contender, and with the draft picks we've stashed for 2020 and 2021, we definitely have the firepower to do that. I don't trust the Jets to take a QB #1 overall, but I'd also hate to see them get a huge draft hoard to trade down to like #4 or something. Similarly, I'll be gutted if we have to use big draft assets to move up from #5 to #1 just to get the coach the QB he covets.

Still in control of our own #1 pick destiny, lose out and assuming the Bengals, Falcons and Skins maintain a stronger SOS then we will be picking first. Really can't afford any more of these wins though.

I don't think you understand the strength of schedule thing. The team with the easier strength of schedule gets the higher pick.

In this season, and especially this game, is how it should effectively remove any sensible Phan from the TankForTua bandwagon.

With possible wins against the Bill's, the Jets (again), and the Patriots, we are now in the LoveToLose...KeepFrommWinning stage of our draft hopefulness.

What I dread is getting RAPED for all out draft capital/integrity by trading up....

Why do you think we can beat the Bills and Patriots? Don’t get carried away now! I am happy for the win, it’s funny that the Jets suck worst than we do, and they are actually trying to win, but I wouldn’t imagine we would beat more than the Bungles and Jets again which may in fact drop us to the 2nd or 3rd pick in the NFL draft which wouldn’t be great, but we would still be in a great position to improve our football team.

Nice to see that our coaching staff looks like it has potential though. Gase was clearly out coached.

But maybe they think Young is a better overall football player and DE than any of the QBs are at their position. What teams are hoping to take a QB in the first round? Not many.
So ridiculous. Chase Young could end up being freaking Reggie White and it wouldn't make one bit of difference if Miami doesn't find a franchise QB. By the way, there could be about 8 teams looking to take a QB in the first round. So there's that. :rolleyes:

I don't think you understand the strength of schedule thing. The team with the easier strength of schedule gets the higher pick.

Ermm, exactly right now barring the Jets we have the weakest SoS, the other teams I listed have the stronger SoS, am I crazy or do you just not seem to comprehend what I just said ?

Ermm, exactly right now barring the Jets we have the weakest SoS, the other teams I listed have the stronger SoS, am I crazy or do you just not seem to comprehend what I just said ?
The way you worded it was confusing.

Why do you think we can beat the Bills and Patriots? Don’t get carried away now! I am happy for the win, it’s funny that the Jets suck worst than we do, and they are actually trying to win, but I wouldn’t imagine we would beat more than the Bungles and Jets again which may in fact drop us to the 2nd or 3rd pick in the NFL draft which wouldn’t be great, but we would still be in a great position to improve our football team.

Nice to see that our coaching staff looks like it has potential though. Gase was clearly out coached.
Pats was an error. I meant to write Bengals...

Right now we pick 4...which is probably how the season ends with us in that place.

Are you of the mindset to trade up to her Tua o matter the price, select Burrow or Herbert, or go with Young as our first pick

Pats was an error. I meant to write Bengals...

Right now we pick 4...which is probably how the season ends with us in that place.

Are you of the mindset to trade up to her Tua o matter the price, select Burrow or Herbert, or go with Young as our first pick

I would trade up for Tua. it’s not ideal, but I really believe in him. I believe he is a great QB prospect, and would fit into what this coaching staff wants and the NE offense that they want to install very well. And as much as I like Chase Young, nothing is more important than a franchise qb, especially one that could potentially be a generational talent. That trumps all. If we weren’t able to get him, then perhaps Young and another QB would also be an interesting consolation prize, but it is not my first choice, or ideal.

However, if we aren’t able to get Tua, there are a number of other prospects who are intriguing, they just aren’t as good coming out of college as Tua is. I don’t know enough about Burrow to know if he will project well to the next level. I know he’s accurate. Jordan Love might make a better pro than College QB, so he’s intriguing, great arm as well. Justin Herbert has massive potential, but would require alot of coaching and might benefit sitting for a year, whereas, Tua would be ready to start day 1. Jacob Eason has great size and an absolute howitzer for an arm, he is also intriguing. And then there is Jalen Hurts. Not sure if he would enter the draft this year, but if he did, he would also be a very intriguing prospect with his athleticism and such.

Look, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if we weren’t able to grab Tua, but it would be much better if we were able to.

Last edited:
While I had no problem with a complete rebuild, I hated the trading of Tunsil and Fitzpatrick. I seriously doubt they will find any players in the draft with the picks they received from the Texans and Steelers which are comparable in talent to Tunsil and Fitzpatrick. The coaches were 100% responsible for failing to get Fitzpatrick to buy into their program.
As far as the tanking for Tua goes, I think he is an excellent college QB who has proved to be injury prone. I would much rather see the Dolphins draft Young or Burrow with their first pick. I think the Dolphins winning today was a positive if they were planning to draft Tua. Because hopefully the Bengals will draft Tua and the Dolphins will will have the opportunity to draft either Burrow or Young.

My concern is the draft picks later in the first round. Players drafted in the latter part of the first round are often hit or miss and it is very likely both those picks will be in the 20’s.
What I believe is Flores wants system players ,like Bellli . Guys that fit into his plan. Smart and able to play multiple positions. Talent is the bonus. Today was a day to show potential young eager free agents what Flores can do for your career. Remember we have 120 million to spend on free agents before we use any of our draft picks. I doubt we sign many high profile guys but guys that work in Flores system,then we use our draft picks to fill in the rest of the blanks ( we should get at least 5 starter from our draft this yr alone)

If Bengals grab Tua?....meh! They have more holes than our team plus they dont have the players or draft picks in place to improve to make a difference the next 2 seasons. At least the Phins FO have a plan. Bengals or Redskins or whoever are a mess.

I would trade up for Tua. it’s not ideal, but I really believe in him. I believe he is a great QB prospect, and would fit into what this coaching staff wants and the NE offense that they want to install very well.

However, if we aren’t able to get Tua, there are a number of other prospects who are intriguing, they just aren’t as good coming out of college as Tua is. I don’t know enough about Burrow to know if he will project well to the next level. I know he’s accurate. Jordan Love might make a better pro than College QB, so he’s intriguing, great arm as well. Justin Herbert has massive potential, but would require alot of coaching and might benefit sitting for a year, whereas, Tua would be ready to start day 1. Jacob Eason has great size and an absolute howitzer for an arm, he is also intriguing. And then there is Jalen Hurts. Not sure if he would enter the draft this year, but if he did, he would also be a very intriguing prospect with his athleticism and such.

Look, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if we weren’t able to grab Tua, but it would be much better if we were able to.
I was all for Tua if we picked 1/2...remains to be seen. To give up draft capital for him, especially the type of capital a sane GM would hold us hostage with is something I can't get behind. I'd rather go the way of the Rams and get a good QB, o-line, and a power back to get ahead of the chains and play action them to death.

So ridiculous. Chase Young could end up being freaking Reggie White and it wouldn't make one bit of difference if Miami doesn't find a franchise QB. By the way, there could be about 8 teams looking to take a QB in the first round. So there's that. :rolleyes:
Fitzpatrick is our franchise QB!

If Bengals grab Tua?....meh! They have more holes than our team plus they dont have the players or draft picks in place to improve to make a difference the next 2 seasons. At least the Phins FO have a plan. Bengals or Redskins or whoever are a mess.
The Bengals are closer to ascending than we are. They get the kid from Bama back and they have bookend tackles (Cordy Glenn). They'll get some if their defensive talent back (Lawson, Jackson, Dunlap, Dennard). They have a much more talented team than we do...at least on paper.

Back
Top Bottom