The Silver Lining... | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Silver Lining...

I just want to point to the Matt Moore year. We made a colossal turnaround going from an 0-7 and in pole position in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, to a meaningless 7-9'ish (can't recall exactly) season where we drafted 8th and launched the Tannehill era. Now, Luck ended up having health issues, and didn't pan out. RG3 was a great athlete but a bad QB, so neither of those earlier QB's panned out really. At the time, people like me were disappointed we went on the late season win streak and lost out on a great QB prospect in Luck.

I ask you … how fondly do you remember that Matt Moore season? Does it cause a great swell of Dolphins pride that we came back and made the year respectable even without any shot at the playoffs? Or does it make you feel like you missed a chance on greatness? I feel the latter. While Luck didn't work out … most QB's drafted earlier do better than those drafted later. I remember Don Shula and Dan Marino … and mediocrity holds no great appeal for me. I say ... take a chance on greatness, and I'll never be happy with 7-9 or 8-8 … it's still just losing to me. I'd rather throw the Hail Mary and try to win than make a meaningless 30 yard gain that has no chance of winning for the last play of the game. But that's just me … I want to gamble on greatness.

The problem wasn’t the meaningless wins, it was the coaching staff that was brought in. The same error in 2016. Tannehill never should have started right away and fraud Gase should never have been brought in to fix something that was clearly unfixable.

I just want to point to the Matt Moore year. We made a colossal turnaround going from an 0-7 and in pole position in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, to a meaningless 7-9'ish (can't recall exactly) season where we drafted 8th and launched the Tannehill era. Now, Luck ended up having health issues, and didn't pan out. RG3 was a great athlete but a bad QB, so neither of those earlier QB's panned out really. At the time, people like me were disappointed we went on the late season win streak and lost out on a great QB prospect in Luck.

I ask you … how fondly do you remember that Matt Moore season? Does it cause a great swell of Dolphins pride that we came back and made the year respectable even without any shot at the playoffs? Or does it make you feel like you missed a chance on greatness? I feel the latter. While Luck didn't work out … most QB's drafted earlier do better than those drafted later. I remember Don Shula and Dan Marino … and mediocrity holds no great appeal for me. I say ... take a chance on greatness, and I'll never be happy with 7-9 or 8-8 … it's still just losing to me. I'd rather throw the Hail Mary and try to win than make a meaningless 30 yard gain that has no chance of winning for the last play of the game. But that's just me … I want to gamble on greatness.
You remember Shula and Marino? So then you also remember that Marino was the 6th QB taken in his class at #27 overall.

fromm is a junior. would not be surprised at all if he stays in school.
He'd go from the 4th/5th best QB prospect to the 3rd best...

Those two places are worth millions...he should do it.

Loved beating the Jets, worth every bit to see their tears of frustration!

Tankers act like the only chance for success is having a #1 overall drafted QB. Off the top of my head, there were like 4 #1 QBs that started yesterday... Murray, Stafford, Winston, & Mayfield with Newton hurt, Geoff on a bye, & Manning on the bench. Sorry, I'll take whipping the Jets and sending them into organizational turmoil over any QB in that crop.

I personally only see one other win on the schedule and that's Cincinnati. And all it will take betweeb now in thay fame is for Cincinnati to win and Miami is right back on top. There really are too many crappy teams this year and it will take all season to determine the final draft placement.
Well the jets have to win another game and the red shins also have to win a game , I’m also looking at the Texans and Pittsburgh

Meaningless win that doesn't help the future of this franchise is a good thing. Yep, sounds like a smart, well thought out opinion.

This franchise also deserves the turd fans it has.
We’re standing in line behind you.

I loved watching that year, that was an exciting run! Luck, the most coveted cant miss prospect since Manning, didnt turn out to be the prize QB of the draft... that's Russell Wilson that was drafted in the 3rd round. But hey, dont let that mess up the Tank for Tua argument.

The football gods would be kind to make this happen for us. However, Flores is doing everything in his power to not make this happen.
As well as a man with his integrity, leadership and ethics would..

You should be proud the man is leading your favorite team.

I loved watching that year, that was an exciting run! Luck, the most coveted cant miss prospect since Manning, didnt turn out to be the prize QB of the draft... that's Russell Wilson that was drafted in the 3rd round. But hey, dont let that mess up the Tank for Tua argument.
That settles it...

Let's wait until the 3rd round to draft our QB of the future. If we play our cards right, we could wait until the 6th round and draft another Tom Brady.

I'd agree with you in any season where you aren't trying to evaluate the head coach and his coaching staff. What I like about this win is that it proves Flores is creating a culture that is generating waves throughout this locker room and his coaches are capable of doing a lot with very little. That tells me that a very important piece of the puzzle (coaching) is in place. Next step is bringing in the talent to convert that great coaching and culture to more wins.

You remember Shula and Marino? So then you also remember that Marino was the 6th QB taken in his class at #27 overall.
Yeah, because of an unsubstantiated and late developing rumor that he had a cocaine habit. Many Dolphins players quietly suggested that this draft-day unconfirmable rumor was started by Don Shula.

Don Shula continually pounded the table for Marino, and his golfing buddy Tom Olivadotti was the head coach of Pitt, where Dan Marino went. Once Marino fell out of the top 5 or so, all the GM's got scared and assumed the rumors were true, so Marino fell like a rock into the 20's where Don Shula drafted him. The closest thing we've seen to THAT late developing scandal was when potential #1 overall LT Laremy Tunsil fell to the Dolphins when his gasmask bong video and numerous wrongdoings hit the airwaves at draft time. Yeah … got something like that which will drop another fantastic prospect like Marino? If so … this might just be our best draft ever.

Back
Top Bottom