The sins of Ricky Williams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The sins of Ricky Williams

codename47

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I was going to post this on another thread, but since the insults have started flying, I decided to post a new thread, to give you, the average fin fan, an insight on the RW situation in New Orleans...

These are the sins of RW:
1.- Ditka gave 7 picks for him.
2.- On the infamous SI interview, RW said:
- New Orleans was a great city to visit, but he preferred to live in Houston.
-when asked about the possibility of the Saints moving to Houston or San Antonio, RW said that would be great for him because, again, he preferred to live in TX.
-said the o-line didn't block for him.
3.- Not living up to the billing Ditka and Co. gave him: the next Walter Peyton, the final piece of the puzzle, and the like.
4.-Not signing autographs for adults during practices.
5.- Haslett didn't like him from the get-go.
6.- having Social Anxiety disorder.
7.- saying what he really felt, rather than say what people wanted to hear.

Well, that's about it.These "sins" have "clouded" some Saints fans' "opinions" of RW, and no matter what RW did on the field, these fans will always find a fault or find a way to discredit his play. There are many fans who will never forgive RW for saying he preferred to live in TX than in LA, and for that they just seem to hate the guy.

Let me give you a contrasting view of these "opinions":

After the Bucs game, Wannesteadt is quoted as saying "RW had a heck of a 4-yard run" , he described, and said RW make a 1-yard running play into a 4-yard running play.
Well, if you go to Saintsreport.com, there is a thread were posters are making fun of these comments and saying things like "same old Ricky, can't break the long one".

On the other hand, during the Saints-Texans game, Dulymus McCallister had a 5-yard TD, where he ran between the LT and the guard, untouched. Anyone who has played the game or seen enough of it will tell you, your RB prances between the LT and the guard untouched from basically a goal-line stand, your o-line just obliterated the d-line. But no... if you read some "opinions", you'd see some posters saying how that play demonstrated Dulymus' superior skill, and even though McCallister finished that game with 9 carries for 27 yrds, many posters have said how much better the Saints running game is from what it was with RW.
These are the same fans who insist the Saints run a WCO...

... you draw your own conclusions...

btw... I am too a regular poster over at SaintsReport.com.

so your telling us that 6 out of 7 of ricky's deadly sins arn't even his fault? Thanks bro, you just made us phin fans feel a lot better about ricky. You truely are a great friend, let's get together for a glass of milk someday.

Crazy how people can tolerate having a possible murderer as their MLB, a someone convicted of planning the murder of his wife as their wr, etc etc, yet still make a huge deal over someone who is just...weird.

It's all water under the bridge, but let me suggest to you that this is a very oversimplified take.

Ricky's first year the Dome was packed with 34 jerseys, fake dreads, everyone was excited to have him.

But, as time went on, and culminating with the famous SI interview, Ricky more or less alienated himself, and insulted the fans (or at least that;s how it came out).

So here we are thinking we have drafted this human highlight reel, only it turns out he has bad injury luck and some big fumble issues and oh by the way, he doesnt like the city, wants the team to move (bear in mind this was said in the middle of some very heated discussions between the Saints and the state and swirling rumors the team was poised to move - every fans nightmare) and his "teammates dont block for him," or "pick him up" when he gets tackled.

Then there was the "friend of a friend" that OD'd at Ricky's crib and had to be taken out in an ambulance, his refusal to work out with the team during offseason workouts (which he now does in MIA, apparently), and word floating around that he wanted to play baseball.

Surprisingly, some people in New Orleans started to think Ricky was more trouble than he was worth.

I think Ricky can be a great back. I think he will give us a 1st rounder next year. But to say that new orleans turned on him because we're intolerant to his quirkiness is really not a true statement.

Very oversimplified? Look at what you posted.
You said RW "insulted" the fans. How so??
By saying he preferred to live in TX than in LA and that New Orleans was a great city to party, but he wouldn't want to live there, and by saying he would love it if the Saints moved to TX because he preferred to live in TX.
How am I "oversimplifying" that?

What does "a friend of a friend" OD'ing in his house, when RW wasn't even in town, have to do with anything?

Weren't those the voluntary workouts he did not attend? (By the way, he wanted to stay in SD with his daughter) Didn't he come in in tremendous shape every time to the minicamps, so much in shape that Dulymus rode the pine all of last year?

You are going to tell me that you watched all 16 games of the 1999 season, and you are going to disagree with RW when he says no one blocked for him?
On the "no one picked him up" comment, he 's wrong, though, because Turley always picks up the ball carrier or receiver after a play (funny how Kyle stopped doing that after the Jets game..hmm), but then again, it's usually Kyle only.

That you bought the bill of goods Ditka sold you, that's your fault.
That he got hurt, he didn't do it on purpose.
That he has fumbled, sure... that the interior O-line couldn't block anyone and that usually 2-4 defendeer got a clear shot at RW, sure also...

See? You just validated my post.

I'd heard that the OL wasn't blocking as well as they could..but with all that, he still got over 1200 yards, and the saints were crying about him...Please...Our OL were killing themselves trying to block last year and Lamar didn't get 1000..Man I would love to see what's ricky going to do being our line that wants to block..especially once we ID the best starting 5.

Originally posted by codename47 Very oversimplified? Look at what you posted.
By saying he preferred to live in TX than in LA and that New Orleans was a great city to party, but he wouldn't want to live there, and by saying he would love it if the Saints moved to TX because he preferred to live in TX.

Perhaps I'm crazy, but suggesting the team should move to another city is somewhat insulting to the fans. I can only imagine what the reaction would be around here if Ricky started in about how South Beach is cool and all, but really he'd much prefer it if they moved the team to Tampa or Atlanta. No offense, or anything.

Not to mention his line about how New Orleans just didnt know how to treat a "star." Sure, Rick. We host the biggest party in the country every year, host the Super Bowl every 5 years, etc., but we're just lost over how to treat the next Ironhead Heyward.

What does "a friend of a friend" OD'ing in his house, when RW wasn't even in town, have to do with anything?

It, along with his growing number of run-ins with the law, suggests that Ricky is not exactly the kind of bedrock figure you want to build a franchise around. But that's just my opinion.

Weren't those the voluntary workouts he did not attend? (By the way, he wanted to stay in SD with his daughter) Didn't he come in in tremendous shape every time to the minicamps, so much in shape that Dulymus rode the pine all of last year?

Sure they're voluntary. But when every single player except one is there working out together (guys who presumably would also like to be spending time with their daughters/sons/girlfirends/wives, etc.) what does that say? Anyway, yeah, Ricky was in shape, no doubt.

You are going to tell me that you watched all 16 games of the 1999 season, and you are going to disagree with RW when he says no one blocked for him?
On the "no one picked him up" comment, he 's wrong, though, because Turley always picks up the ball carrier or receiver after a play (funny how Kyle stopped doing that after the Jets game..hmm), but then again, it's usually Kyle only.

Really, that SI article and his quotes speak for themselves. If you dont have any problems with what he said, then we just disagree. But to me he came off as a whiny brat with some serious issues. I would bet even Ricky would agree with that. And, right or wrong, the fans started to say, WTF is up with Ricky?

That you bought the bill of goods Ditka sold you, that's your fault.

Silly me, expecting more TDs than fumbles.

That he got hurt, he didn't do it on purpose.

And? What, Fred Taylor cuts himself in the bathroom when no one is looking?

he fumbled, sure... that the interior O-line couldn't block anyone and that usually 2-4 defendeer got a clear shot at RW, sure also...

He fumbled in high school, he fumbled in college, he fumbles in the pros. Excuses dont change the facts. Ricky, as great as he can be, is a fumbler. And that is not a good thing for a power back that you want to use to maintain possession, grind it out.

See? You just validated my post.

I'm glad you think so.

Originally posted by codename47
On the other hand, during the Saints-Texans game, Dulymus McCallister had a 5-yard TD, where he ran between the LT and the guard, untouched. Anyone who has played the game or seen enough of it will tell you, your RB prances between the LT and the guard untouched from basically a goal-line stand, your o-line just obliterated the d-line. But no... if you read some "opinions", you'd see some posters saying how that play demonstrated Dulymus' superior skill, and even though McCallister finished that game with 9 carries for 27 yrds, many posters have said how

Did you watch the game? or just see the highlights? The TD run wasn't even close to being his best run. I was at the game. Did you happen to see the play on 2nd and Short where he carried the pile for about 4 or 5 yards?

Or the screen pass he caught on 1st and 15 where Jamie Sharper had him by the leg.....He broke the tackle, maintained his balance and took it 15 yrds for the 1st down?

what about the toss he took up the middle in the 2nd Quarter that looked like it was going to gain 2-3 yards.....he broke a couple takles, made a spin move and turned it into a 10yrd run...did you miss that one too.

The TD run wasn't even close to being his best run.....However, all of the above mentioned plays were better than anything Ricky did on monday night. If you missed Deuce on Saturday, you'll see more of him tonight.

Saints fans aren't the only ones that were impressed with Deuces' performance.....I had 4 Texan fans sitting next to me. One guy was an oiler season ticket holder since the 70's. He told me Deuce reminded him of Earl Campbell. I don't know about all that......but i think he's going to be a great runningback.

St. G..Deuce played into the 2nd Qtr..Well, I'm sure the D of Dallas change from 1st to 2n by then..He should have had some great carries playing that much..Ricky only touch the ball 5 times...against an 8 man front...Did Deuce play against an 8 man front..? Then again we're talking Dallas D vs Tampa D..Hmmm I wonder which is better???

Very oversimplified? Look at what you posted.
By saying he preferred to live in TX than in LA and that New Orleans was a great city to party, but he wouldn't want to live

I don't blame him......I love to go to New Orleans....i've been 5 times this year.....but i will probably never live there....When i graduate from college, i will probably move to Dallas or Houston. But if the Saints gave me a check for 8mil. I'd live there and be very happy about it.

Didn't he come in in tremendous shape every time to the minicamps, so much in shape that Dulymus rode the pine all of last year?

[/B]

Deuce was on the bench for 2 reasons.
1. He held out and missed most of training camp, resulting in him being behind.
2. To showcase Rickys talents and prove he could get through an entire season.

Had Ricky and Deuce split carries last season.....What do you think Rickys trade value would've been? We certainly would not have had a shot at 2 1st round picks if he didn't play the whole year and run for 1,200yrds.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
St. G..Deuce played into the 2nd Qtr..Well, I'm sure the D of Dallas change from 1st to 2n by then..He should have had some great carries playing that much..Ricky only touch the ball 5 times...against an 8 man front...Did Deuce play against an 8 man front..? Then again we're talking Dallas D vs Tampa D..Hmmm I wonder which is better???

You don't even know who we played? you certainly can't talk about the game. We played the Texans. Our Starters played the 1st drive of the 2nd quarter....the Texans kept their starters in longer than we did. Sharper, Wong, Coleman, etc were all playing while Deuce was playing....he wasn't playing against backups. We were however, playing with our 2nd string OL when he scored the TD.

If Ricky was up against 8 man fronts, you should've been throwing the ball......that's what you want the D to do...put 8 guys in the box so you can go deep to Chambers.

St. G..Deuce played into the 2nd Qtr..Well, I'm sure the D of Dallas change from 1st to 2n by then.
Oh, no, MDFINFAN... that only applies to Jake Delhomme!! What are you, nuts?!?!?!?!?

And it was the TEXANS, not the Cowboys..

expalantion: Jake Delhomme is the 2nd string QB that every preseason tears it up in the late quarters, just to have the "knowledgable" fans come up with the "he's playing against camp bodies and burger flippers , means nothing" line, discrediting the guy . That was a big debate over at the Saints forum when Brooks was handed the starting position without competition.

What I find interesting in St. G's post, is that he mentions a 10 -yd run in the second quarter...
why?
a.- because that was against the Texans second team D, mind you an expansion team. b.- because Dulymus ended with 8 carries for 27 yards, which means that he only gained 17 yards in the other 8 carries, again, against an expansion team...

oh, yeah, Walter Payton, baby!!

Anyway, I apologize.. this is not the forum to discuss Saints in such a manner.

That was my thoughts..I'm nutts, because I was responding to what was posted..I didn't see the game or did I take interest in it..so I went by what I read here..Thanks for clearing up who the Saints played, that's how interested I was in that, Now I'm really LOL..Texan' D vs Tampa's D...LOL and decuce did well..LOL LOL LOL..OKay OKay..let me catch myself...Thanks CN47 for clearing that up..LOL ST. G...you my man...to even compare the two...games...Oh man..LOL LLLLLET ME STOP.

That was my thoughts..I'm nutts, because I was responding to what was posted..I didn't see the game or did I take interest in it..so I went by what I read here..Thanks for clearing up who the Saints played, that's how interested I was in that, Now I'm really LOL..Texan' D vs Tampa's D...LOL and decuce did well..LOL LOL LOL..OKay OKay..let me catch myself...Thanks CN47 for clearing that up..LOL ST. G...you my man...to even compare the two...games...Oh man..LOL LLLLLET ME STOP.

It seems i'm fighting a losing battle here....there's not much more i can do until we play someone else....i'll be back to chat tonight.

Back
Top Bottom