The Speed on the D | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Speed on the D

Charlie Rivers

SUPERBOWL BOUND!!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There is not doubt that the Dolphins' forte is the Defense.

Question: How fast is our defense?

I would say we have avg 40 times (other than JT), but fast football speed. Guys like Zach, Jr, Knight, Pat, Sam and Brock all use their smarts and instincts to react quickly - which is the key to being a good defender

To be honest I think we rank in the top 10 fastest D in the league. On the other hand I think our guys are very mobile an know how to read the game better then most .

Example: Sammy Knight is probably one of the slowest safeties in the league yet he has 26 Interception. If miami was after speed then Freeman should start.

Zach Thomas inst the strongest or biggest or fastest guy at MLB yet he is almost always at the right spot to make the play.

Top 3 Fastest D in my opinion
Bucs
Denver
Eagles

I personaly its more important knowing how to read the play then being the fastest guy there.

Our D just is very fast no doubt (I'd say top 5 isn't un-realistic), but what makes us look even faster is the insticts and knowledge that our players posses.

True. If it were all about speed, Derrick Rodgers would still be starting and Morlon Greenwood would be entrenched.

3-4 defenses have alot more speed than 4-3 defenses do as well.. Substituting a DT for a LB is what the 3-4 does.. So the Steelers and Ravens should be up there as well in the speed defenses category...

Yes, those 3-4 guys have more speed from a man standpoint simply because of that extra LB. But up front, they're generally slower......as they have three DT-types up there holding blocks. No JT's or John Abraham's (more likely to be rush ends). Very few Wally's. Rarely do you see a DE under 280 lbs. Atlanta seems to be the exception, as they have a relatively small defensive front.

But more often you're going to see team's set up more like New England (where Richard Seymour has moved to DE), Pittsbugh and Houston (all 300 pounders up front).

Sorry, Seau and Knight made your team slower IMO/ on paper.

Doesn't mean that you lost playmaking ability. You might've improved but speed, you got slower based on both their performances last year.

Speed is a highly overrated, trendy thing nowadays. Our team does not have a good Defense because it's speed, it's good because it's instincts and talents.

Who do we have that is specially fast? Jason Taylor and Ogunleye are speed rushers, and are susposed to be fast. They dont make up a ton of our tackles, either. In our linebackers, who there is? Zach is not, one of his knocks coming out of college was he was not atheletic enough. Moron and Rodgers? Yeah, they were big parts of our defense. Our backfield isnt all that amazingly fast either. Surtain and Madison arent super fast, they just can cover well. Marion never was either, I'm fairly sure in our scheme safeties are susposed to be better playmakers then speed guys.

Originally posted by justafan
Sorry, Seau and Knight made your team slower IMO/ on paper.

Doesn't mean that you lost playmaking ability. You might've improved but speed, you got slower based on both their performances last year.

We got slower from a shorts and shirts, stopwatch standpoint. But we got faster from a football standpoint. These guys will be in position much faster than Rogers and Freeman. "Might have improved" nothing. We improved, period.

FYI - Seau played on the remained of last season on one leg, after being named Player of The Month.

Back
Top Bottom