The strategy was right, the people involved in it were wrong... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The strategy was right, the people involved in it were wrong...

We can use all the 'logic' and justifications we want. And I'm not saying I'm quite happy with either. But, my perspective in everything is 'what is most likely' - not what I want. They'll be back

I don't think it's likely Grier is back if we miss the playoffs.

I do think it's likely Flores is back regardless of how the season ends.

We did all of the right things, we're still young. The season is far from over.
We did "all of the right things?"
I respectfully disagree. Drafting Noah Ig was not one of the right things. Reaching for Austin Jackson, ditto. The trade with San Fran probably not either. Or at least the 2nd trade with Philly.
I could go on and on. I think there was some merit to the plan, but that plan had to be perfectly executed, and it wasn't. If we had done all of the right things, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I do realize that our coaching is poor on offense. For the last 2 years before Flores showed he could coach very well on the defensive side of the ball.
The defense has been bad this season and that's on Flores. He is no defensive mastermind.

If history has proven anything with the Dolphins we will fire Grier and keep Flores for 1 more year.
Getting a great G.M is very difficult but isn't the guy helping Grier,Allen I think has a background in scouting.
If the players don't want to play for Flores and I don't think they are it will show more and more.
It's all about Tua for me the rest of the season.
We are down but i think we could go on a run and surprise a lot of the fans that are down on us.

I think its almost a sure thing that Grier and Flores will be gone after the season. IMO the strategy of having lots of high picks and cap room was the best one since I can remember. Thats how teams like the Bills, Rams, 49ers, Brown and other recent contenders were built. You can even get or almost get to the big game with an average to below average QB if you pick top players with your draft picks. Ravens, Jets (Sánchez) and 49ers did it.

However, next time I would repeat the process and learn from mistakes.

First we need a GM that excels in scouting, if we had one with the amount of draft picks we had, we would be contenders today.

Second we need a coach that can assemble a respetable coaching staff of good teachers and player developers. And if defensive minded he can hire a top OC or the opposite if offensive minded. Flores biggest mistake was letting go a very promising one. Innovative is what you need on offense, technically sound and with nasty mentallity on defense. We need a HC or OC that has a proven record of assembling a good OL. This OL failure cannot continue.

Finally we will need to get our franchise QB. Evaluate Tua this year. But even if he looks the part that shouldnt stop us from aquiring talent at QB position. If he doesnt look good we should think on Wilson, Watson or Rodgers. If he looks good then a draft pick with upside or someone like the young Washington QB. But we cannnot settle with a backup on Brissett level. If Tua is not ready, Wilson or Rodgers would make sense. And let him learn for a couple of years until he is ready.

I would not keep Flores just for the reason he is failing big time on defense this year, and that should be his strenght. If a defensive minded coach cant identify how to generarte pass rush and stop the run I want no part on him.

I loved the process, but hate the people involved on it. Only evaluation left is for Tua. Grier is awful and Flores has regresed.
Haha

If you learned from your mistakes, why would you repeat the process - Shouldn't you immediately start to apply corrections based on what you learned without "upsetting the apple cart" - LOL

I do realize that our coaching is poor on offense. For the last 2 years before Flores showed he could coach very well on the defensive side of the ball.
Last year someone coached well on Defense. Was that Flores, or was that Boyer? I can't say.

This year, no one on our staff has been coaching well.

Back
Top Bottom