The Super Bowl as a proxy for the Finheaven War | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Super Bowl as a proxy for the Finheaven War

If you go by simple stats provided by NFL.com and you consider top 5 production to be elite, here is how the four teams that played this past weekend performed during the season:

KC

Elite: QB, offense, passing game
Top 10: running game, defense

TEN

Elite: running game
Top 10: QB, offense
Top 12: passing game, defense

SF

Elite: running game, defense
Top 10: QB, offense
Top 12: passing game

GB

Elite: QB, passing game
Top 10: offense, defense
Top 12: running game

So the two teams that made it to the Super Bowl have either the combination of an elite QB + offense + passing game OR an elite defense + running game.

And all four teams at least had top 12 production in all categories. Which reaffirms the idea of having balance as a football team. You can't be elite or top 10 in certain areas of your team but then be really terrible in others.

It’s going to be interesting to see an elite QB/offense vs. and elite defense/running game in the SB. It's the perfect matchup.

ETA: Also interesting that the difference between the Titans and the Niners was that SF had an elite defense. And it showed yesterday when Tennessee couldn't generate any pass rush against Mahomes.
Tenn(1), SF(2) and KC(4) were all top 5 in Y/A passing. If you're going to call the Titans and 49ers running games elite, you should use the same term for their passing offense IMO.

Tenn(1), SF(2) and KC(4) were all top 5 in Y/A passing. If you're going to call the Titans and 49ers running games elite, you should use the same term for their passing offense IMO.
I'm calling their running games elite because they were top 5 in rushing YPG. They were not top 5 in passing YPG, which is the metric I used for this particular analysis.

I do think it's telling that 3 of the 4 QBs that played this past weekend were top 5 in yards gained per pass attempt. Another reason why QB play is so important in this league. And imo it proves that both Tannehill and Garoppolo are underrated QBs, they were both really good this year.

I'm calling their running games elite because they were top 5 in rushing YPG. They were not top 5 in passing YPG, which is the metric I used for this particular analysis.

I do think it's telling that 3 of the 4 QBs that played this past weekend were top 5 in yards gained per pass attempt. Another reason why QB play is so important in this league. And imo it proves that both Tannehill and Garoppolo are underrated QBs, they were both really good this year.
While YPG will certainly give a quick overview, I think there is alot of noise in there also. For example, of the Top 10 teams in passing YPG, 5 of them have a passing rating under 90, which in the NFL in very mediocre these days. Those team might accumulate alot of yards, but most of it is because of volume and not necessarily because they are good at it.

For example 8 of the top 10 teams in passer rating made the playoffs while only 3 of the top 10 teams in YPG made the playoffs. This would lead me to believe that effeciency is a better measure than volume stats. Though I havent checked previous seasons, I wouldnt be surprised if that were the case in the past, at least the last 10 years or so... Could be wrong though...

While YPG will certainly give a quick overview, I think there is alot of noise in there also. For example, of the Top 10 teams in passing YPG, 5 of them have a passing rating under 90, which in the NFL in very mediocre these days. Those team might accumulate alot of yards, but most of it is because of volume and not necessarily because they are good at it.

For example 8 of the top 10 teams in passer rating made the playoffs while only 3 of the top 10 teams in YPG made the playoffs. This would lead me to believe that effeciency is a better measure than volume stats. Though I havent checked previous seasons, I wouldnt be surprised if that were the case in the past, at least the last 10 years or so... Could be wrong though...
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I just went to NFL.com to gather the most simple stats from all 4 teams that played yesterday, just to see how they compared against each other in different categories. There's no doubt a much more intricate analysis should be made to answer some of the questions being raised on this thread. But I just wanted a quick analysis just to see if anything stood out when comparing these 4 teams.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I just went to NFL.com to gather the most simple stats from all 4 teams that played yesterday, just to see how they compared against each other in different categories. There's no doubt a much more intricate analysis should be made to answer some of the questions being raised on this thread. But I just wanted a quick analysis just to see if anything stood out when comparing these 4 teams.
I like the fact that you went out and got facts to backup your argument. Keep it up!

Garoppolo is not elite. Once again, times are changing. The NFL teams have become more aggressive when it comes to drafting QBs. Mahomes may not have been a top five pick, but KC made an aggressive move from the #27 pick in the draft all the way up to the #10 pick in the draft to acquire him. In the last three drafts since 2017 eleven QBs were drafted in the first round. Seven out of the eleven the team that selected them moved up in order to make the selection. Two of the four teams that did not move up already had the number one pick. Arizona selected Murray with the first pick after moving up in the previous draft to select Rosen in the top ten. The days of being cautious about when to draft a QB are over. It's time to be aggressive.
How many of those QBs teams moved up for are elite QBs? We can be aggressive. Move up to the 10 spot and draft a QB then but, I would be aggressive if the pick is Tua. Burrow isn't an option unless Cincy does something shocking. We might need to trade up from our 18th pick to get Love but, he's the only QB o can see drafting this draft. I'd draft Tua outside of the top 10 tho so, if he's still there, I can see your point. But, there are too many QBs playing and starting that we're not top 5 picks to pick an injury prone QB top 5.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

It seems to me as if the coming Super Bowl is a metaphor for our simmering cold-war here at Finheaven.

On one side, we have the team with the best lines in the NFL. Frisco leads the NFL in Rushing AND Defense, while KCity is staffed with pretty boys and speed (my bias may be showing... ahem)

Corn Fed vs. WE GOTTA DRAFT A QB!!!! OMG!!!

I look forward to the coming war about team design. May the best side (gracefully) win.

It’s not an either or....

Garapolo is not a slouch QB or lowly drafted QB....

I believe the Niners have the superior overall team...Mahomes gives KC a chance to overcome that difference.

I’m picking the Niners.

I see similarities to Super Bowl 19 in this game.

if the Niners can get pressure on Mahomes and rattle him.... they will win.

The Niners did that to Marino in Super Bowl 19.

One difference....They could abuse Marino much more than the newer rules allow teams today.

KC is currently -2, which seems right to me. The great thing about this matchup is that neither team has faced an opponent of similar quality in the playoffs. Often, the SB is really won in one of the Championship games, because the two best teams are often in the same conference. Because both Baltimore and NO lost before they could face KC or SF, the SB will actually be the best matchup of the playoffs.

Jimmy Ward needs to be everywhere for SF to slow down KC, and even if he is, it still might not be enough.

Getting back to the point of the thread, SF is certainly good enough to beat KC. In a best of 7, KC would probably win in 6, but with the NFL's format, SF has a very real chance. Remember when the Sixers won Game 1 vs the Lakers before losing in 5? From a team-building perspective, you should play the odds to maximize your opportunities. KC has the biggest window in the NFL, and SF has a decent window because of Shanahan. The D won't be as good in 2020, but if they field another Top 5 offense, they'll have a shot again next year. And, that's the key. SF's D is the cherry on top.

So, OC is about as important as QB. If you want to compete at the highest level, you better have one of the best playcallers in the game, and you better get him some talent to work with. Playcallers in the last four SB's:

Reid
Shanahan x2
McDaniels x 3
McVay
Reich

There are maybe 2 or 3 playcallers throughout the rest of the league that belong in the conversation with these 5 - with McVay needing to show a counter punch, but up until NE undressed him, he was firmly in the discussion.

KC is currently -2, which seems right to me. The great thing about this matchup is that neither team has faced an opponent of similar quality in the playoffs. Often, the SB is really won in one of the Championship games, because the two best teams are often in the same conference. Because both Baltimore and NO lost before they could face KC or SF, the SB will actually be the best matchup of the playoffs.

Jimmy Ward needs to be everywhere for SF to slow down KC, and even if he is, it still might not be enough.

Getting back to the point of the thread, SF is certainly good enough to beat KC. In a best of 7, KC would probably win in 6, but with the NFL's format, SF has a very real chance. Remember when the Sixers won Game 1 vs the Lakers before losing in 5? From a team-building perspective, you should play the odds to maximize your opportunities. KC has the biggest window in the NFL, and SF has a decent window because of Shanahan. The D won't be as good in 2020, but if they field another Top 5 offense, they'll have a shot again next year. And, that's the key. SF's D is the cherry on top.

So, OC is about as important as QB. If you want to compete at the highest level, you better have one of the best playcallers in the game, and you better get him some talent to work with. Playcallers in the last four SB's:

Reid
Shanahan x2
McDaniels x 3
McVay
Reich

There are maybe 2 or 3 playcallers throughout the rest of the league that belong in the conversation with these 5 - with McVay needing to show a counter punch, but up until NE undressed him, he was firmly in the discussion.
I agree. I used to be firmly planted in the build the defense first. Then worry about the offense. Now, I am firmly against that based upon what has happened in the NFL. I have OC as more important than QB. I say that based upon there is no coaching salary cap and OCs do not get injured. So they are a constant. QB runs close second due to the fact they touch the ball every play while on offense and are definitely the point guard.

J'Off you finally made me an offensive convert. LOL

Mahomes is that good to me that I see him lighting up SF.

He's a very special qb and he dictates outcomes with his arm more than I've seen a 23 year old ever do.

Back
Top Bottom