The Super Bowl as a proxy for the Finheaven War | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Super Bowl as a proxy for the Finheaven War

Building a team is like building a house. You need a solid foundation.

QB is the keystone of that foundation.

Both SB teams went out and got their QB before they were able to compete. 49ers bought theirs in FA, The Chiefs bought theirs in the draft.

Like Skape said above, we HAD a team with a great D and no QB, it got us nowhere.

Let's do it right this time. Get the QB, build around him.

The problem with the 49ers comparison is that we have invested multiple first round picks into the defensive line over the years. Our front office just turned those picks into Charles Harris and Christian Wilkins. We even invested quite a few first round picks into the offensive line.

People in this thread have pointed out the sustainability argument better than I can. All I will add is that Deforest Buckner, Arik Armstead and George Kittle are due extensions this offseason.

Building a team is like building a house. You need a solid foundation.

QB is the keystone of that foundation.

Both SB teams went out and got their QB before they were able to compete. 49ers bought theirs in FA, The Chiefs bought theirs in the draft.

Like Skape said above, we HAD a team with a great D and no QB, it got us nowhere.

Let's do it right this time. Get the QB, build around him.
We also had a team with a great QB and no D, it got us nowhere.

On another note: I am surprised that people declare the Chiefs Super Bowl contenders for the next 15 years because of Mahomes. Ironically he is on the exact Marino trajectory. Disregarding the year he sat behind Smith Mahomes went to the playoffs in his first playing year (like Marino) and to the Super Bowl in his second playing year (like Marino). And both faced the 49ers in that Super Bowl appearance. The plot thickens. :lol:

Marino had a huge advantage in the beginning of his career - no salary cap. If an owner was willing to spend the money they could build a team with money. Not so much anymore. The salary cap is all about parity and outside NE it has worked. Most teams have sat on top for a year or two and then had to restart. Some fell off the grid and some were hanging around .500 for a few years. NE is the only team who has beaten that parity idea and they have done it with good scouting, low salaries and cheating.
Beginning next year this year's KC team has to worry about the salary cap. They have to begin negotiations with Mahomes and Co about extensions. And it will cost them.

Beginning next year the 49ers and the Chiefs face some crazy cap management. The 49ers have 49 players under contract and have 16 Mill left to spend and the Chiefs have 46 players under contract and 21 Mill available under the cap.
I would not expect either team to quickly return to the Superbowl.

The problem with the 49ers comparison is that we have invested multiple first round picks into the defensive line over the years. Our front office just turned those picks into Charles Harris and Christian Wilkins. We even invested quite a few first round picks into the offensive line.

People in this thread have pointed out the sustainability argument better than I can. All I will add is that Deforest Buckner, Arik Armstead and George Kittle are due extensions this offseason.

With this in mind they only have $16 million in cap space. And with guys like Bosa and McGlinchey on rookie deals and both will be highly valued in just a few years this roster will be purged quickly.

On another note: I am surprised that people declare the Chiefs Super Bowl contenders for the next 15 years because of Mahomes. Ironically he is on the exact Marino trajectory. Disregarding the year he sat behind Smith Mahomes went to the playoffs in his first playing year (like Marino) and to the Super Bowl in his second playing year (like Marino). And both faced the 49ers in that Super Bowl appearance. The plot thickens. :lol:

Marino had a huge advantage in the beginning of his career - no salary cap. If an owner was willing to spend the money they could build a team with money. Not so much anymore. The salary cap is all about parity and outside NE it has worked. Most teams have sat on top for a year or two and then had to restart. Some fell off the grid and some were hanging around .500 for a few years. NE is the only team who has beaten that parity idea and they have done it with good scouting, low salaries and cheating.
Beginning next year this year's KC team has to worry about the salary cap. They have to begin negotiations with Mahomes and Co about extensions. And it will cost them.

Beginning next year the 49ers and the Chiefs face some crazy cap management. The 49ers have 49 players under contract and have 16 Mill left to spend and the Chiefs have 46 players under contract and 21 Mill available under the cap.
I fully expect KC to go deep next season and the 49ers too if Garrapolo pulls out another 100+ rating season...

I fully expect KC to go deep next season and the 49ers too if Garrapolo pulls out another 100+ rating season...

Jimmy G is a conundrum, his QBR is like 55 which is saying he is an average guy. If you break down his year he had two huge games versus the Cardinals and went beast mode versus the Saints so 12 of his 27TDs came in 3 games so he had 15 TD's in the other 13 games which feels average. I just dont trust him if someone says hey go win the game for us. But hey he is in the Superbowl, wonder what will happen if the Chiefs take away his running game and put them in 2nd/3rd and long. I know they have some great skill guys but would be interesting if the Chiefs can make it Jimmy G vs Mahomes because outside of SF everyone is taking Mahomes in that match up.

This debate will go on forever,
My two cents.......you need balance. Yes I want us to draft a QB this year and build around him. To think all you need is a QB tho is foolish. You need a whole team but having a great QB gives you a lot of options. Draft the QB but give him the help he needs.

Jimmy G is a conundrum, his QBR is like 55 which is saying he is an average guy. If you break down his year he had two huge games versus the Cardinals and went beast mode versus the Saints so 12 of his 27TDs came in 3 games so he had 15 TD's in the other 13 games which feels average. I just dont trust him if someone says hey go win the game for us. But hey he is in the Superbowl, wonder what will happen if the Chiefs take away his running game and put them in 2nd/3rd and long. I know they have some great skill guys but would be interesting if the Chiefs can make it Jimmy G vs Mahomes because outside of SF everyone is taking Mahomes in that match up.
While I wouldnt put to much stock into QBR, I agree with you. I dont think he's good enough to consistently make the playoffs without a perfect team around him, much like Tannehill. I was a huge Tannehill fan but we just saw where the ceiling is with those guys. They'll do what you ask of them very effeciently but if you start making them the center piece, they crumble. Im not saying thats absolutely the case with Jimmy, but thats how I view him.

This debate will go on forever,
My two cents.......you need balance. Yes I want us to draft a QB this year and build around him. To think all you need is a QB tho is foolish. You need a whole team but having a great QB gives you a lot of options. Draft the QB but give him the help he needs.

Can't your post be interpreted as get your existing QB's they help they need?

At least Marino was consistently in the playoffs. The Big D / No QB teams didn’t even make the playoffs much and only won a single playoff game in that span. And once that D broke down, the party was over and it was just a playoff desert from there.

We’ve seen both strategies in action so I don’t understand why people want to continue to watch a product that doesn’t even make the playoffs except once every decade instead of one that gets to the playoffs every year.

Both will wear white thinking that the other team will wear red. :lol:

I would assume since KC is the home team they will wear red and the 49ers will wear white.
I read this morning 49ers requested thier all white throw backs but no response from NFL yet. I think they should both wear throwbacks.

That could easily happen. Marino and the Dolphins also went deep into the playoffs the year after the Superbowl appearance in 1984. But after next year the question mark will rule.

Kind of reminds me of last year’s super bowl a bit. Elite QB (Brady) vs Elite D and Running Game (Rams).

You tell me which was more sustainable.

The Patriots are a lot more than elite QB. They are also an elite coaching staff and game planning team. There defense won them that game and I have a hard time calling the 18 Rams defense elite. If anything there offense was elite and was shut down by an elite coaching staff.

Back
Top Bottom