The time has come to cut Devante Parker (post June 1) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The time has come to cut Devante Parker (post June 1)

OmegaPhinsFan

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
A $9M cap savings, and only $3M dead money. Miami needs to look themselves in the mirror and revamp their WR corps. I love Parker, have bene advocate, but cap flexibility, dependability and time has worn me out and I'm sure others. Miami should and could be in the market for a WR in free agency, and of course 2-3 in their first 4 picks. Production vs Salary is inverted

No thanks. Rather see what he can do as our #2 if we can draft or attain a real #1 wideout. Think he might thrive. Health is always a valid concern though.
#2,3,4, at $9M and health it is an easy decision. He won't magically be healthy as a #2.
This contract is finally backloaded. The same WR's on this team is not a viable solution

#2,3,4, at $9M and health it is an east decision. He won't magically be healthy as a #2.
This contract is finally backloaded. The same WR's on this team is not a viable solution
What is your plan then to revamp the wr room?

Totally agree. We need to use that money for a reliable vet WR (which will cost more than that 9m, but is essential for Tua's development).

We don’t need that 9m of space... to what? Sign a similar receiver?

add to what we have- instead of subtracting. When healthy, Parker can be a good piece in the wr corps-as seen by the 2019 season
similar? no I mean different, one that could line up and be the #1 for, I don't know, 16-17 games?

I doubt we cut Parker this year if he's healthy. Tua doesn't really have good chemistry with anyone else. He did well with Gesicki, but clearly Gesicki did better with Fitzmagic than Tua, so I'd say there's chemistry to be built there. Preston Williams did OK with Tua, but Williams hasn't proven he can stay healthy, so he's more like a young Parker than a productive chemistry Parker. Sure, we may bring in a new WR with the #3 pick ... but I wouldn't want to remove the only chemistry Tua has right now.

Now, if Parker isn't healthy, all bets are off.

A $9M cap savings, and only $3M dead money. Miami needs to look themselves in the mirror and revamp their WR corps. I love Parker, have bene advocate, but cap flexibility, dependability and time has worn me out and I'm sure others. Miami should and could be in the market for a WR in free agency, and of course 2-3 in their first 4 picks. Production vs Salary is inverted

Just so people understand . . . the dead money is $2.7 million in 2021 and the immediate cap savings is 9.4 million.

You still are going to incur a $5.4 million dead money hit in 2022 . . . but you offset some of that because you didn't pay for the $7.75 milion dollar base salary in in 2021 (as he was cut).

So the question you have to ask yourself is . . . is Devante worth a $5 million dollar cap hit in 2021 (7.75 million base salary - 2.7 million dollar prorated signing bonus dead hit which gets postponed another year).

After this year it gets even more reasonable from a contract standpoint. I could see him play out the entire contract to be honest unless he really just falls off a cliff.

i mean i agree that we've probably seen his best in the year he had with fitz. i don't think he will improve any and is a candidate for gradual regression. getting old + injury prone + not a quick twitch athlete doesn't bode well for the latter half of his career.

he's kind of a poor mans demaryius thomas. dt declined around this age / time in his career and then fell off completely. dt was not in the league last year, is 33 now. had 2 lousy years in 2018 and 2019 at age 30 and 31.

dp is 28. probably has 2 decent years at best getting some 50/50 balls and some stop route/back shoulder type stuff. he isn't going to win much at the top of his route anymore so he will need to be schemed open.

if they can get anything back i would probably try to go that route. its also worth noting that tua didn't really click with dp.

similar? no I mean different, one that could line up and be the #1 for, I don't know, 16-17 games?
I’m assuming Allen Robinson in this scenario, seems like the most likely “#1 receiver” .... so how much are you paying him?

and I haven’t seen your plan to remake the wr group? Just cut Parker and then what??

I'm not a big fan of DVP's skillset, but, he had pretty good numbers as the team's #1. If Miami can get, say, Chase, DVP becomes the #2 and those numbers could rise. All things being equal, I believe he stays.

Back
Top Bottom