The time has come to cut Devante Parker (post June 1) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The time has come to cut Devante Parker (post June 1)

This is also correct . . . even if you designate the player as a post June 1st cut . . . there is no immediate benefit for the team until June 1st. What it does is give the player, who you plan on cutting, the opportunity to get on with another team when free agency begins. You will still hold that cap hit until that June 1st date though.

So yea, you aren't getting 9.4 million in space tomorrow if you designate Parker a June first cut today. Teams will still need to get under the cap, and then when that date comes they get relief. Teams in a tight situation may decide to postpone signing draft picks until then as a way to keep under the cap knowing relief is coming.

Long time no see Kdawg.

This is also correct . . . even if you designate the player as a post June 1st cut . . . there is no immediate benefit for the team until June 1st. What it does is give the player, who you plan on cutting, the opportunity to get on with another team when free agency begins. You will still hold that cap hit until that June 1st date though.

So yea, you aren't getting 9.4 million in space tomorrow if you designate Parker a June first cut today. Teams will still need to get under the cap, and then when that date comes they get relief. Teams in a tight situation may decide to postpone signing draft picks until then as a way to keep under the cap knowing relief is coming.
I suppose if you want to extend a player already under contract that relief could come in handy but that big dead cap in 2022 still stings.

A $9M cap savings, and only $3M dead money. Miami needs to look themselves in the mirror and revamp their WR corps. I love Parker, have bene advocate, but cap flexibility, dependability and time has worn me out and I'm sure others. Miami should and could be in the market for a WR in free agency, and of course 2-3 in their first 4 picks. Production vs Salary is inverted
That's a huge negative on that. Injury issues or not, he is still a premium weapon, and a load to defend.

Just because we are about to get more weapons at that position, does not mean we need to start getting rid of quality players.

Let's instead hope to end up this season with way too many weapons...That's a nice problem to have. 😃

Maybe in a "normal" year it would be a viable option. This year though, most teams are going to be careful, and frugal when it comes to trades. The same as with FAs.

I by no means would want to trade DVP and cutting him would be dumb as ****. But Mach, I would almost think it would be the exact opposite of what you're saying as far as the frugality of it. Or what i should say is that the fruginess might benefit the fins and DVPs value if we wanted to trade. Say the Colt call and say they want Wentz a shiny new WR but our only wanting to offer us a 4th, where as we want a 3rd and a conditional next year. After they say no and right before they hang up, just kind of mention "Good luck finding you a #1 reciever in free agency for less than double his salary. THat might get a "hold up, lets revisit this trade" from the COlts. Just using the Colts as they were the first team that came to my head. No complainging about "the colts need to sign Ty, or are projected to draft such and such"
so corners stay on one side only?
In some defenses yes. One of our DC's (think the guy that went to Den) ran it so the guys stay on the same side regardless. Sucked seeing X on **** reciever while McCain or someone was on the #1 WR

A $9M cap savings, and only $3M dead money. Miami needs to look themselves in the mirror and revamp their WR corps. I love Parker, have bene advocate, but cap flexibility, dependability and time has worn me out and I'm sure others. Miami should and could be in the market for a WR in free agency, and of course 2-3 in their first 4 picks. Production vs Salary is inverted
Just curious ... Parker is a starter who has been in our rebuilt offensive scheme for 2 seasons now ...

Who will step in and give us, at least, what we would be giving up?

I get we could upgrade but the offense has holes to fill and creating another hole doesn't make sense to me unless you have a solid (proven) plan B ....

so we dump Parker for:
1. an unproven rookie
2. A high priced F/A who may or may not be "playing for money" or actually fit (catch on...understand able to execute) our scheme....
3. Move another player (on the current roster) who apparently couldn't beat Parker for a starting role

When it comes to trading starters under contract I can't pull the trigger knowing our other needs and depth ...

What message does it send your team to cut a starter because he may or may not get nicked up playing football ...and replace him with a stranger?

I love all the ideas that come across the board but I hate it when a poster doesn't have a plan afterwards ...

I guess your plan is ...
Miami should and could be in the market for a WR in free agency, and of course 2-3 in their first 4 picks. Production vs Salary is inverted

Might as well go bowling with a sheet in front of the pins IMO
You know you MUST have hit SOMETHING ... but you just don't know your score

I'm not onboard with buying a FA AND using 3 of the first 4 picks on WR's ... it may just be me though

my meaningless opinion is that when devante parker is healthy, he is practically unguardable (ask stephon gilmore).

and that is with the likes of Fitz and RookieTua throwing him the ball.

even if you could find me that for equal or less money, i am still trading parker, not cutting him.

f#ck this stupid thread.

my meaningless opinion is that when devante parker is healthy, he is practically unguardable (ask stephon gilmore).

and that is with the likes of Fitz and RookieTua throwing him the ball.

even if you could find me that for equal or less money, i am still trading parker, not cutting him.

f#ck this stupid thread.

Parker has been somewhat disappointing to me but when start adding clauses to any statement such as Parker "when healthy", or the different levels that we have to decipher Parker to be a consistent threat it just disappointments me somewhat. Cutting him is stupid, specially at a time where our receiver corps look like a junior varsity team receiver corps.

I mean Hurns is also 6'3". He has played some slot but he is a guy that plays inside or outside.
That’s not what we need. We have plenty of big WRs. We need quick twitch guys who can get separation at the LOS. The only guy who fits that description is Wilson but he has age and injury concerns. I think we’ll fill one WR spot in FA and 1-2 in the draft.

Parker has been somewhat disappointing to me but when start adding clauses to any statement such as Parker "when healthy", or the different levels that we have to decipher Parker to be a consistent threat it just disappointments me somewhat. Cutting him is stupid, specially at a time where our receiver corps look like a junior varsity team receiver corps.
The last two years he’s played 14 and 16 games, so he’s quieted the “always injured” label. It all comes down to his cap number and if we can renegotiate his contract. I think he stays.

2020 14 games 63 rec 793 yds 4 tds
2019 16 games 72 rec 1202 yds 9 tds

That’s not what we need. We have plenty of big WRs. We need quick twitch guys who can get separation at the LOS. The only guy who fits that description is Wilson but he has age and injury concerns. I think we’ll fill one WR spot in FA and 1-2 in the draft.

Oh I don't disagree. Just pointing out until that happens, I wouldn't completely right off Hurns as a guy that is an auto cut, especially with his salary being of no benefit to our cap relief. He, more than the others, will likely get an opportunity to prove his worth over camp/preseason.

The last two years he’s played 14 and 16 games, so he’s quieted the “always injured” label. It all comes down to his cap number and if we can renegotiate his contract. I think he stays.

2020 14 games 63 rec 793 yds 4 tds
2019 16 games 72 rec 1202 yds 9 tds

Our play calling wasn't the best when Tua was the QB. It seems like Gailey didn't decided to gamble until the last game of the season where parker was able to get more reps. He really wasn't a target for Tua, nor did Tua have a good feel for the field as well. So we cannot really fault parker for not getting his fair share of catches. Had we had stability in QB that would have been another story.

Oh I don't disagree. Just pointing out until that happens, I wouldn't completely right off Hurns as a guy that is an auto cut, especially with his salary being of no benefit to our cap relief. He, more than the others, will likely get an opportunity to prove his worth over camp/preseason.

Parker, and Giseki were pretty hot targets for Fitz for sure. Tua was put in a bit too early to start, but at the end of the day it gave the dolphins the necessary data needed to see where Tua was in his development. Had Fitz been playing all season long I am pretty sure Parkers numbers would have been over 1k again.

Back
Top Bottom