The Top 3 QB's are gone: Which QB would you pick late? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Top 3 QB's are gone: Which QB would you pick late?

So how do you account for strength of schedule?

I do not here. This just looks at pure production, and tells you that numbers are out of line with what other successful quarterbacks had posted, they are wacky.
If you do not like Mark Sanchez, you do not think he had success on the rookie contract, you can delete him. Pretend I did not say anything. Look at other quarterbacks, the ones you think were successful on a rookie deal.

I do not here. This just looks at pure production, and tells you that numbers are out of line with what other successful quarterbacks had posted, they are wacky.
I think if you were to only use production for your analysis and ignore actual game play, you'd like to be more precise. Ignoring SOS is likely to seriously affect your results

Your definition of wacky is outliers, what you are doing is removing the outliers, and claim that most successful QBs are in the non-wacky category. Thing is, 95% of QBs are in your non-wacky category so it would only make sense that you find more good QBs in in there.

Another thing to consider is which QBs did you analyse? Only drafted QBs or every college QBs?
If you do not like Mark Sanchez, you do not think he had success on the rookie contract, you can delete him. Pretend I did not say anything. Look at other quarterbacks, the ones you think were successful on a rookie deal.
I think your way of evaluating success seems a bit arbitrary. Have you tried using your metric on the QBs once they get to the NFL, that way you'd be able to see how it translates to the NFL and it woud add consistency to your analysis.

Last edited:
I appreciate the post largo. But your filter missed something..

It thinks Jalen hurts is a good qb.

I think if you were to only use production for your analysis and ignore actual game play, you'd like to be more precise. Ignoring SOS is likely to seriously affect your results

Your definition of wacky is outliers, what you are doing is removing the outliers, and claim that most successful QBs are in the non-wacky category. Thing is, 95% of QBs are in your non-wacky category so it would only make sense that you find more good QBs in in there.

Another thing to consider is which QBs did you analyse? Only drafted QBs or every college QBs?

I think your way of evaluating success seems a bit arbitrary. Have you tried using your metric on the QBs once they get to the NFL, that way you'd be able to see how it translates to the NFL and it woud add consistency to your analysis.

Yes, for now I ignore everything else because that is what we are talking about here, you asked what wacky numbers means. Later when we filter the players we can focus on all else, we can add filters, like he has to be 6-3, or must have a winning record in college, or his strength of schedule should be such and such, etc.

No, most quarterbacks are in the wacky category because remember, it is a filter 28.5 - 102, and most prospects are outside of the bell, under 28.5 and some are over 102. Most prospects are bad. However, most of the drafted prospects are within the bell. Therefore we know that this filter is not the end all be all. We need to filter further. Just that fact, that most prospects are within the bell but yet we know that most drafted players are not great tells us that we need to filter further. But, we know that the greats come from the bell, from the filter.

I analyzed what I could find. For guys like Peyton Manning and Ben R for example I could not find college stat for sacks, therefore I cannot analyze them. Also, today in 2020, it's hard to find all eligible prospects in 2010, so I used only drafted quarterbacks from wiki page for NFL draft for 2010. And for the past few drafts, when I had the full list of prospects like the one Slimm compiles and posts here every year, I analyzed all prospects. But this is not important because it's just excel work and after a few iterations, for let's say 2016 and 2017 prospects, you get roughly the same results, the same filter.

Yes, 28.5 and 102 are somewhat arbitrary because we looked at a batch of quarterbacks over the years and decided that the filter is somwhere between Wentz at 28.5 and Flacco at 101.5, but it could've been Garoppolo at 116.5. It's close enough.

We'll see. These two guys, Tua and Burrow could beat the odds, and then we will go on facts and adjust the filter. Right now, based on the history, they have wacky numbers and chances are they will not live up to the expectations of their college production. In other words, their college production is unreliable.

Garoppolo was beating Mahomes with 3 minutes left in the Super Bowl. Fromm could be a Garoppolo. I don't think you need another Mahomes to beat Mahomes.

Garoppolo wasn’t playing defense for the 49ers, was he? Or running the ball?

You're giving undue credit to an average-to-good QB. The 49ers weren’t leading that game, or most of their games this season, because of their QB. I live in NorCal and around a myriad of 49ers fans. Most their fans seem to understand that. They realize his limitations and that he’s not an elite QB.

Secondly, KC played a poor game offensively for the most part yet still was able to flip the switch and win. Just as they had done all postseason. When you move beyond one game, which any team can win on any given day, and expand the sample size, a QB like Garoppolo isn’t going to beat a QB like Mahomes very often. Not with the teams being equal or close to it. I believe that’s the point that was being made.

To further the point, the Dolphins have beaten the Patriots and Tom Brady from time to time with QB’s such as Tannehill and Fitzpatrick. But does that mean that’s the type of QB they should target? Simply because they led a game with 3 minutes to go or, in this case, actually won a game here or there? Think about it.

Last edited:
Are you serious? McDonald at 5? Maybe 5th round...but #5? Ok...

I like Cole McDonald a ton. I think he maybe the best QB in this class. He is 6-4, 220, great frame. He can run, rushed for 380 this season with 4 average and 7 TDs. He can throw to far hash from the pocket on platform, therefore he has the arm. He is a multi year starter. He is not too old, redshirt junior. He has a winning record 9-5 and won the bowl game against BYU, had a great game. He posted very good stats across the board in his senior season.
511 attempts, 64% completion, 19 sacks, 14 interceptins, and 33 TD. He checks the boxes.

Amazes me that people still hold a candle for Josh Rosen.

This isn't a guy we've been waiting years to 'get over the hump'.

This is a guy we've been waiting years to not be abjectly terrible at the sport.

Two questions:

1. How long has Rosen been in the league?

2. How bad was Fitzpatrick when Rosen replaced him?

No, most quarterbacks are in the wacky category because remember, it is a filter 28.5 - 102
Interesting, out of the top 250 QBs in college in 2019, I got 108 QBs that were within that range?

Last edited:
Interesting, out of the top 250 QBs in college in 2019, I got 108 QBs that were withing that range?

No. It's 18 out of 48 prospects. I went by Slimm's prospet list for seniors and underclassmen and then added a few he missed.

I like Cole McDonald a ton. I think he maybe the best QB in this class. He is 6-4, 220, great frame. He can run, rushed for 380 this season with 4 average and 7 TDs. He can throw to far hash from the pocket on platform, therefore he has the arm. He is a multi year starter. He is not too old, redshirt junior. He has a winning record 9-5 and won the bowl game against BYU, had a great game. He posted very good stats across the board in his senior season.
511 attempts, 64% completion, 19 sacks, 14 interceptins, and 33 TD. He checks the boxes.
Colt Brennan was a better QB at UH, and he was taken in the 6th. As a late round QB? McDonald would be fine to take a flyer on...at #5? No thanks.

No. It's 18 out of 48 prospects. I went by Slimm's prospet list for seniors and underclassmen and then added a few he missed.
That's fine, but why does your metric idenfity so many NFL talents(108 QBs) when used on the whole player pool?

Growing up did anyone else play sports with or against someone who had immense talent but just didn’t have game? I played with, against, and coached some kids who had professional athlete attributes but only had a few D1 offers because they were stiffs. I believe this is Josh Rosen.

That's fine, but why does your metric idenfity so many NFL talents(108 QBs) when used on the whole player pool?
Because that is the filter, 28.5 to 101.5. it's what past drafts tell us. Wentz to Flacco.
You can narrow it down further now if you want. I like to keep it broader, the way it is. As I said there are other filters to apply later. For now, for the purposes of wacky numbers this will do.

To answer the OP, I would pass altogether unless Eason is around in late the 2nd. I'm not a fan of wasting a pick on a QB on day three.

You realize he got benched in 4 of his last 15 games & 2 of his last 6 games in the Mtn West for poor decision making? He had to leave early because he was in danger of losing his job to Chevan Cordeiro.

Back
Top Bottom