The trade scenarios are unlimited | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The trade scenarios are unlimited

HawaiiPhin31

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Guys our situation is truly unprecedented...

Were the only team in NFL history to have 14 picks in the 7 round NFL Draft.
We have the ammunition to make ANY trade we want. Options are ENDLESS. I think we've all discussed the Burrow/Tua trades to death. Lets get more creative than that and speculate...feel free to do trade ups or downs.

I see us doing at least one of the following:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Trade up in the first for one of the Big-4 OT's:

I see us making a trade up into the 9-13 range to jump ahead one of those OL needy teams to snag one of the Big-4. I don't think any of them are going to make it to 18. There is a decent drop off with Jones/Jackson/Cleveland...so it makes sense that we do this.

Trade up to the top of the 2nd for Antoine Winfield Jr:

A lot of our mocks have us taking Antoine Winfield Jr. Is he really going to fall to the late 2nd rounder we have? I don't think so. In fact, because this draft is so offensive heavy in talent, I could see him being one of the first players off the board on day 2. I can see us making a trade up to the top of the 2nd for him.

Trade up in front of Dallas for a center:

I could also see us trading up for an OL in the 2nd round. We might have felt comfortable waiting to take one of the centers in the 3rd round before, but now that Dallas just lost their starting center it becomes a higher priority early, as I think they're virtually locked into taking one with pick 51 since 17 and 82 are their only other options. I could definitely see them wanting Biadasz, and its no secret that we strongly covet him. I say we jump up ahead of them for him.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think? Lets come up with more scenarios here. With our kind of ammunition we can play God. We don't have to let the draft fall to us, we can manipulate it how we want, and Grier has already shown that he is willing to do that. Maybe one of us gets lucky and calls it before it happens!

What trade scenarios do you have? Get as specific as you want.

Last edited:
Guys our situation is truly unprecedented...

Were the only team in NFL history to have 14 picks in the 7 round NFL Draft. We had 14 in 1997, and we have 14 this year.
We have the ammunition to make ANY trade we want. Options are ENDLESS. I think we've all discussed the Burrow/Tua trades to death. Lets get more creative than that. Feel free to do trade ups or downs. I don't know enough about other teams needs and why they'd want our picks, so I'm going for trade ups.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Trade up in the first for one of the Big-4 OT's:

I see us making a trade up into the 9-13 range to jump ahead one of those OL needy teams to snag one of the Big-4. I don't think any of them are going to make it to 18. There is a decent drop off with Jones/Jackson/Cleveland...so it makes sense that we do this.

Trade up to the top of the 2nd for Antoine Winfield Jr:

A lot of our mocks have us taking Antoine Winfield Jr. Is he really going to fall to the late 2nd rounder we have? I don't think so. In fact, because this draft is so offensive heavy in talent, I could see him being one of the first players off the board on day 2. I can see us making a trade up to the top of the 2nd for him.

Trade up in front of Dallas for a center:

I could also see us trading up for an OL in the 2nd round. We might have felt comfortable waiting to take one of the centers in the 3rd round before, but now that Dallas just lost their starting center it becomes a higher priority early, as I think they're virtually locked into taking one with pick 51 since 17 and 82 are their only other options. I could definitely see them wanting Biadasz, and its no secret that we strongly covet him. I say we jump up ahead of them for him.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think? Lets come up with more scenarios here. Like I said...the options are endless. Do you absolutely love De'Andre Swift? Jonathan Taylor? JK Dobbins? If you think one suits us better than the other and feel like it would be risky waiting until 26, 39, or 56 then state your case and your prediction of how we make it happen if it isn't with one of our picks!

With our kind of ammunition we can play God. We don't have to let the draft fall to us, we can manipulate it how we want, and Grier has already shown that he is willing to do that. Maybe one of us gets lucky and calls it before it happens!

What trade scenarios do you have? Get as specific as you want. I wish I could pick teams that are the best candidates for my trades but I don't know their needs so much.

No offense to anyone here, but no one's opinion of draft prospects matches Flo/Grier's. Just desires and hope, and I'm not disparaging that. This is a fan forum. But, for me, I'll avoid specific players.

Given that, I agree Miami is in a position to trade (even DOWN) as circumstances arise. And I agree on 'unlimited.' FA has also eliminated some critical holes which makes for more flexibility.

As we all know, Grier has stated, his desire to have no less than 10 selections in every draft moving forward. It gives the team a flexibility advantage, that's been demonstrated by other teams, over the past decade or so. New England as a prime example. I can see several trade up or trade down scenarios for Miami in next month's draft. It's exciting to be in the position Miami is in.

Alright here we go . . .

First round pick #5 - Dolphins select Tua Tagovailoa QB - Franchise Quarterback, easy choice.

TRADE: The Miami Dolphins trade the 18th(1st round) 39th(2nd round) and 154th (5th round) overall pick to the Oakland Las Vegas Raiders for pick #12

First round pick #12 - Dolphins select Mekhi Becton OT - Flores is the perfect coach for a guy like Becton. A little coaching and this guy can be dominant in both phases of the game. (Run/Pass)

First round pick #26 - Dolphins select Laviska Shenault WR - Big, Physical WR who can rack up the RAC and handle the physicality of the NFL. Played entire year with a core injury and shows toughness Flores will love.

TRADE: The Miami Dolphins trade the 56th(2nd round),141st(4th round) overall picks and a 2021 3rd round pick for Jacksonvilles 42nd (2nd round) overall pick.

Second Round pick# 42 - Dolphins select Josh Jones OT - Miami moves up again to select another OT to help shore up the teams biggest weakness and provides insurance should either rookie OT run into injury or production issues.

Third round pick #70 - Dolphins select Netane Muti G - Not sure Netane drops this far but injury concerns may result in just that. Absolute mauler of a blocker with impressive footwork. If healthy may have been first G selected.

Last edited:
Great post. If I'm in charge, I'm targeting my type of players/scheme fits and coming out of this draft with around five starters.

I'd move around, trade up and down and look to add picks for 2021 as well.

I'm not a fan of trading up right now, unless someone drops a lot, and Miami gets amazing value. Otherwise, pick in place and trade back, hopefully picking up 2021 picks.

This is for the first two days. Definitely trade up from those 3 7th round picks.

I honestly hope Miami trades away the 5th pick to move down in the draft. Either to Jacksonville at 9th or Las Vegas at 12th. Both teams have two 1st round picks so they could look to trade away a 2nd round pick to move up. I feel if we move back with Jacksonville to the 9th selection, we would get better value by selecting one of the top OT prospects while picking up a other pick. Justin herbert could also still be available at 9.

I would stay at 18 and take X.Mckinney or C.Ruiz

I would then trade the 26th pick to a team at the top of the 2nd round plus a 2021 1st round pick...someone like Carolina.

I feel like T.Lawerance and J.Fields are better prospects then Burrow and Tua. I actually like Herbert, but only if he would fall to 9. But then we miss out on an elite OT...2020 should be about building the O-Line and improving the RB position

I feel like T.Lawerance and J.Fields are better prospects then Burrow and Tua. I actually like Herbert, but only if he would fall to 9. But then we miss out on an elite OT...2020 should be about building the O-Line and improving the RB position
Rest assured that we are not betting the house that Herbert will fall to 9. I think we take either Tua or Herbert at 5, depending on who's there. After aimlessly wandering through the QB desert for the past 20 years, we mustn't try to get cute. If our key people like Herbert then we take him. If they don't like him enough and someone has made a move for Tua, we take the top O-lineman available, like Wirfs.

This guy a known troll here?

Dude...I live on Oahu. I'd love it if we take Tua too. You completely ignored the point of this thread, and I actually specified it with you in mind.

He makes a legit point. Here's the thing:

While I am absolutely convinced you need an excellent supporting cast around even the best QB to win a championship, I am also absolutely convinced that the team revolves around said QB.

In other words, if you have a QB you believe to be the guy, go get him. No matter what. Is that guy Tua? Maybe. Burrow? Maybe. Herbert? I hope not, but maybe.

I am personally of the opinion that if Miami wants Tua, he will be there at 5. The fact that there are no medicals before the draft makes the Tua acquisition riskier for everyone and probably cheaper for Miami. I said this a while ago, but what *I* would do if I was Grier is this. I'd get on the phone right now with Detroit. Today. And I'd say, "Hey! We're offering #5 and #39 to you for #3."

It's a fair offer, more valuable than San Diego's first two picks this year. And you lock up Burrow or Tua (unless Washington completely loses their minds and trades out of the #2 spot). Then draft the best tackle available at 18...and offer the #26 pick to a team looking to move back into the first round, trying to secure a couple Day 2 picks.

This is a tremendously deep draft at positions the Fins need. The key is to not spend too much to move up and get your QB if possible get a tackle...and then move down and get more 2nd-3rd round picks.

He makes a legit point. Here's the thing:

While I am absolutely convinced you need an excellent supporting cast around even the best QB to win a championship, I am also absolutely convinced that the team revolves around said QB.

In other words, if you have a QB you believe to be the guy, go get him. No matter what. Is that guy Tua? Maybe. Burrow? Maybe. Herbert? I hope not, but maybe.

I am personally of the opinion that if Miami wants Tua, he will be there at 5. The fact that there are no medicals before the draft makes the Tua acquisition riskier for everyone and probably cheaper for Miami. I said this a while ago, but what *I* would do if I was Grier is this. I'd get on the phone right now with Detroit. Today. And I'd say, "Hey! We're offering #5 and #39 to you for #3."

It's a fair offer, more valuable than San Diego's first two picks this year. And you lock up Burrow or Tua (unless Washington completely loses their minds and trades out of the #2 spot). Then draft the best tackle available at 18...and offer the #26 pick to a team looking to move back into the first round, trying to secure a couple Day 2 picks.

This is a tremendously deep draft at positions the Fins need. The key is to not spend too much to move up and get your QB if possible get a tackle...and then move down and get more 2nd-3rd round picks.

Thank you for illustrating why I asked for us to refrain from Tua/Burrow trades. People start talking about the importance of the QB position .vs. others, or which QB is better, which QB is worthy of a trade up .vs. staying put, etc....we've already beat that dead horse. Just waiting now for a Tua hater to come in and tell you all the reasons why you're out of your mind to spend an extra pick on a QB with injury history...

This thread isn't for that guys. Its to talk about anyone NOT Tua or Burrow. They have their own dedicated thread with over 200 pages...

Anyone else got any fresh ideas? What other trades could we see on draft day?

Last edited:
I would stay at 5 and take Tua or Herbert. If Grier trades down with another team in the top 12, it may indicate that he prefers Love.
I have long advocated that we trade up from 18 to get one of the top 4 tackles. As teams picking 6-14 are legitimate candidates to draft O-Line, this trade will probably cost us pick 26 or one of next years 1st's plus sweeteners. If we stay at 18, it could be a choice between Jones or Jackson
If we keep pick 26, I would be trading down into the 2nd , if all my players with 1st round grades are gone. Every draft, there are not 32 players with 1st round grades. However, if a player with a 1st round grade drops to 26, take that player, regardless of position.
Trading 26 into the 30's will not get us a 2021 1st round pick.
I like Winfield at 39 but am unwilling to trade up for him.
I also agree that trading in front of Dallas for a Centre is a good idea. Cushenberry would be my target.
There will be too many good football players being picked between 70 and 141. We need to trade up from the 5th and 6th to get some pieces of that pie, unless that goal was already achieved in a trade down from 26
Then I would use the 5's and 6's to draft players who fall due to injury. This draft, that may be important with no medical rechecks being done after the Combine.
I would also look to draft some returners late as Grant is hurt often.
I would use one of those 7th's on some competition for Saunders who is very mediocre longer than 45 yards.

Thank you for illustrating why I asked for us to refrain from Tua/Burrow trades. People start talking about the importance of the QB position .vs. others, or which QB is better, which QB is worthy of a trade up .vs. staying put, etc....we've already beat that dead horse. Just waiting now for a Tua hater to come in and tell you all the reasons why you're out of your mind to spend an extra pick on a QB with injury history...

This thread isn't for that guys. Its to talk about anyone NOT Tua or Burrow. They have their own dedicated thread with over 200 pages...

Anyone else got any fresh ideas? What other trades could we see on draft day?

At no point in your OP did you suggest not Tua or Burrow at all. I threw in a trade down in my scenario.

If you’re going to be that restrictive with what you want to discuss...maybe try a monologue.

Back
Top Bottom