"The Trigger Man" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"The Trigger Man"

ATL_PHIN_FAN

Winner Under Construction
Reaction score
Some interesting thoughts and analysis on what we may have in Josh Rosen. I tend to agree with Deep Water's take on the situation. Agree? Disagree? Why or why not?

I think this year the Dolphins will have one of the better QB situations in the league. Especially if they get Tua, Hebert, Burrows or Love. They all appear to be worthy prospects. Baring injury, I think we will most likely see a lot of Rosen while the rookie QB sits and learns.

Rosen will get his chance. However, if after a few games he doesn't show that he's clearly improved, Fitz will be back. While I like Fitz a lot, for the development of the team, I hope that doesn't happen.

I think a team jumps in front of us for Tua , Burrows goes #1 and we trade down from 5 and get 1st round pick in 2021.
We roll with Rosen and he has a breakout year after he replaces Fitz in week 5 .
From your mouth to god's ears. That would certainly be the best case scenario, BUT farfetched is an understatement.

Even with the high draft pick rookie QB Rosen would get the first shot if/when Fitz breaks down or turns back in to a pumpkin.

Unless the rookie lights up training camp and clearly passes him which is not very likely since Tua would prorbably be "redshirted" and Herbert/Love/Eason/Fromm would probably not be ready.

The appointment of Chan Gailey is significant. Fitz had 3 years with him in Buffalo (as Head Coach) and another 2 years with him as Offensive Coordinator at the Jets. My read is regardless of whoever we draft (and I expect it will be Tua), we're rolling with Fitz at QB and Rosen as his backup. It was not just a happy coincidence that Chan Gailey was appointed and he and Fitz knew each other. I sense that Chan was appointed because of his good fit with Fitz, especially the play calling. Josh Rosen is low cost QB insurance with decent upside potential.

The appointment of Chan Gailey is significant. Fitz had 3 years with him in Buffalo (as Head Coach) and another 2 years with him as Offensive Coordinator at the Jets. My read is regardless of whoever we draft (and I expect it will be Tua), we're rolling with Fitz at QB and Rosen as his backup. It was not just a happy coincidence that Chan Gailey was appointed and he and Fitz knew each other. I sense that Chan was appointed because of his good fit with Fitz, especially the play calling. Josh Rosen is low cost QB insurance with decent upside potential.
I think you have to play Rosen to see if anyone would be interested in trading for him.

I think you have to play Rosen to see if anyone would be interested in trading for him.

If they didn't suffer with him last year, they are not going to start him this year unless he outperforms in TC.

Unfortunately, the former doesn't seem likely. But I've seen stranger things. No, seriously, I've seen Stranger Things- great show.

I think:

if Rosen has developed enough to make quicker decisions (I believe he has the ability but lacked confidence due to youth and many coordinators) and with the addition of a veteran OC he will be the starter this season.

with a rebuilt OL and a threat added at RB our offense is better than last season....

FA pick ups at OL, DL and CB will happen....

We draft a QB, Edge, RB, S/CB and 2 OL by the end of RD 3 … (we don't trade up)

rosen is more likely to be traded than see the field in a dolphins uniform again.

If he has developed in practice, as both Flores and Grier have reported, then it makes sense for them see what he can do one more time. Also, with Rosen's rookie contract still in effect, there's no monetary incentive to trade him. Without more game tape, I don't think any team would offer more than a 5th for Rosen.

If the Dolphins truly feel as they say about Rosen's progress, I think it's highly unlikely they'd accept so little for a guy they gave a 2nd for the year before.

If he has developed in practice, as both Flores and Grier have reported, then it makes sense for them see what he can do one more time. Also, with Rosen's rookie contract still in effect, there's no monetary incentive to trade him. Without more game tape, I don't think any team would offer more than a 5th for Rosen.

If the Dolphins truly feel as they say about Rosen's progress, I think it's highly unlikely they'd accept so little for a guy they gave a 2nd for the year before.

I'm more pessimistic. Rosen either
a) shows considerable improvement and Miami keeps 3 QBs in '20, or,
b) he shows some improvement and is traded for close to nothing before Sept, or,
b) he's released. I don't think any team would trade anything for a QB who's shown no improvement in 3 yrs

The Dolphins will be a 5 or 6 win team with Fitzpatrick. In fact they will likely not win more than 5 or 6 games no matter who the QB is next season. I see no reason for Fitzpatrick to start any games next year and instead Rosen should start the season at QB and if he shows he has improved since last year he should be the starter the entire season. I have no idea if the Dolphins are going to draft a QB in the first round or not. Yet if they do, that QB should take over for Rosen if it appears Rosen is not improving at the QB position.

Fitzpatrick should be nothing more than a mentor to the younger QB’s and should only play in an emergency situation IMO. Wasting another year starting Fitzpatrick on a team that is probably going to finish last in their division and is in rebuilding mode makes no sense at all.

I'm more pessimistic. Rosen either
a) shows considerable improvement and Miami keeps 3 QBs in '20, or,
b) he shows some improvement and is traded for close to nothing before Sept, or,
b) he's released. I don't think any team would trade anything for a QB who's shown no improvement in 3 yrs

Isn't keeping 3 QBs standard?

Back
Top Bottom