"The Trigger Man" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"The Trigger Man"

The Dolphins will be a 5 or 6 win team with Fitzpatrick. In fact they will likely not win more than 5 or 6 games no matter who the QB is next season. I see no reason for Fitzpatrick to start any games next year and instead Rosen should start the season at QB and if he shows he has improved since last year he should be the starter the entire season. I have no idea if the Dolphins are going to draft a QB in the first round or not. Yet if they do, that QB should take over for Rosen if it appears Rosen is not improving at the QB position.

Fitzpatrick should be nothing more than a mentor to the younger QB’s and should only play in an emergency situation IMO. Wasting another year starting Fitzpatrick on a team that is probably going to finish last in their division and is in rebuilding mode makes no sense at all.

We had this convo last year. Fitz wiil be starting unless Rosen turns miracle in TC or Hebert looks stellar in TC. Tua should be an automatic sit if we draft him.

As of today, Fitz gives us the best chance to win and Flores has already shown that's his way of operating.

The appointment of Chan Gailey is significant. Fitz had 3 years with him in Buffalo (as Head Coach) and another 2 years with him as Offensive Coordinator at the Jets. My read is regardless of whoever we draft (and I expect it will be Tua), we're rolling with Fitz at QB and Rosen as his backup. It was not just a happy coincidence that Chan Gailey was appointed and he and Fitz knew each other. I sense that Chan was appointed because of his good fit with Fitz, especially the play calling. Josh Rosen is low cost QB insurance with decent upside potential.

This!

The Dolphins will be a 5 or 6 win team with Fitzpatrick. In fact they will likely not win more than 5 or 6 games no matter who the QB is next season. I see no reason for Fitzpatrick to start any games next year and instead Rosen should start the season at QB and if he shows he has improved since last year he should be the starter the entire season. I have no idea if the Dolphins are going to draft a QB in the first round or not. Yet if they do, that QB should take over for Rosen if it appears Rosen is not improving at the QB position.

Fitzpatrick should be nothing more than a mentor to the younger QB’s and should only play in an emergency situation IMO. Wasting another year starting Fitzpatrick on a team that is probably going to finish last in their division and is in rebuilding mode makes no sense at all.

So you think with the most cap space in the NFL, 3 first round picks and 2 seconds and there will be no improvement?

If he has developed in practice, as both Flores and Grier have reported, then it makes sense for them see what he can do one more time. Also, with Rosen's rookie contract still in effect, there's no monetary incentive to trade him. Without more game tape, I don't think any team would offer more than a 5th for Rosen.

If the Dolphins truly feel as they say about Rosen's progress, I think it's highly unlikely they'd accept so little for a guy they gave a 2nd for the year before.
i agree with all of that. it all makes sense. i just think brian flores has made up his mind and he doesn't like josh rosen.

If they didn't suffer with him last year, they are not going to start him this year unless he outperforms in TC.

Unfortunately, the former doesn't seem likely. But I've seen stranger things. No, seriously, I've seen Stranger Things- great show.

Rosen needed to learn, and the O-line last year was no place for a young QB to learn.

I expect a much improved O-line and a Rosen more ready to show what he’s got.

We will see!

I can not imagine anyone playing except fitzmagic unless he gets hurt or the team falls apart which I doubt.

Unless Fitz is on a huge run to get Miami in the playoffs/win division/get 1st round bye, there should absolutely be any reason to play Fitz all season over the other QBs (Though if Miami takes Tua, I can understand in only his case, if they don't allow him to ever throw).

The goal of 2019 was evaluate, and try to win with what they had...The goal of 2020 is try to win as much as possible with the new talent, while trying to evaluate the talent for the future, which includes QB.

I think a team jumps in front of us for Tua , Burrows goes #1 and we trade down from 5 and get 1st round pick in 2021.
We roll with Rosen and he has a breakout year after he replaces Fitz in week 5 .
Rosen has been so bad a breakout year for him would be a 1-to-1 TD/Int ratio, 60% completion and 6.5 YPA.

Unless Fitz is on a huge run to get Miami in the playoffs/win division/get 1st round bye, there should absolutely be any reason to play Fitz all season over the other QBs (Though if Miami takes Tua, I can understand in only his case, if they don't allow him to ever throw).

The goal of 2019 was evaluate, and try to win with what they had...The goal of 2020 is try to win as much as possible with the new talent, while trying to evaluate the talent for the future, which includes QB.

I can’t claim to know what Flores is thinking, but I’m sure there are close tabs being kept on Rosen this offseason. I’m pretty sure they are in constant communication and monitoring his growth or lack of growth closely

We had this convo last year. Fitz wiil be starting unless Rosen turns miracle in TC or Hebert looks stellar in TC. Tua should be an automatic sit if we draft him.

As of today, Fitz gives us the best chance to win and Flores has already shown that's his way of operating.
While Fitz MIGHT give the 2020 Dolphins the best chance to win. They are not going to win more than 5 or 6 games next season no matter who the QB is. Fitzpatrick wasn’t even sure when the season ended if he was going to retire or play another season. He is NOT the future ar QB for the Dolphins and that is why I continue to feel it is absurd to play him. I have no idea if Rosen will improve but having him sit on the bench while Fitzpatrick plays what will likely be his last season just makes no sense.

If I thought playing Fitzpatrick would lead to the Dolphins making the playoffs next year I would have no problem with him being the starter. I just believe this is at least a three year rebuild and I don‘t see the Dolphins contending for a playoff spot until at least the 2022 season. So the more the younger players and especially the younger QB’s can play and get the experience will only benefit these players when the team actually is talented enough to be a legitimate playoff team.

I understand that as you state, “ that is the way Flores operates”. So obviously Grandpa Fitzpatrick will likely be the starter next year but that doesn’t mean I like it or I agree with it. Yet I am just a fan and not the HC so Flores will do whatever he wants to do.

Not sure how we will lose out on Tua but if we do trade down in the top 10 or 12 and grab Love

Some interesting thoughts and analysis on what we may have in Josh Rosen. I tend to agree with Deep Water's take on the situation. Agree? Disagree? Why or why not?

I think this year the Dolphins will have one of the better QB situations in the league. Especially if they get Tua, Hebert, Burrows or Love. They all appear to be worthy prospects. Baring injury, I think we will most likely see a lot of Rosen while the rookie QB sits and learns.

Rosen will get his chance. However, if after a few games he doesn't show that he's clearly improved, Fitz will be back. While I like Fitz a lot, for the development of the team, I hope that doesn't happen.

For a team that needs to develop and grow, what is the point again of playing and keeping Fitzpatrick!

The appointment of Chan Gailey is significant. Fitz had 3 years with him in Buffalo (as Head Coach) and another 2 years with him as Offensive Coordinator at the Jets. My read is regardless of whoever we draft (and I expect it will be Tua), we're rolling with Fitz at QB and Rosen as his backup. It was not just a happy coincidence that Chan Gailey was appointed and he and Fitz knew each other. I sense that Chan was appointed because of his good fit with Fitz, especially the play calling. Josh Rosen is low cost QB insurance with decent upside potential.
You do not hire an OC because he’s a good fit with your 38 yr old journeyman QB who’s been on ten teams.

Back
Top Bottom