The True Test of The Tunsil Trade | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The True Test of The Tunsil Trade

The true test of any trade is to completely reverse the scenario.

Many of us have chimed in and the general consensus is that, “hey, we liked the kid and he is good. But... the offer was just too good to pass up”.

Don’t want to put words in anyone’s mouth, but that is my impression of the average sentiment.

Let me suggest this, the true test for anyone upset with the trade is to try and reverse the scenario. Soooo.....

If Tunsil was a Texan to start with, and we are where we were, would you be ecstatic if we traded 2 x 1st round picks for him?

I would guess that if the trade upset you, then looking at it that way would reduce your anxiety. The same person that was against the trade we did would probably be the same person voicing strong opposition to trading 2 1st to get him. So ask yourself, am I complaining for a legitimate reason? Or am I just being upset because I’m negative.

If we traded 2 x 1st’s for someone like Tunsil, the site would have exploded!

It was a great trade. They were desperate, and we won hands-down.

The Texans price for CLOWNEY was 2 (meh) players and a 3rd round pick. But we somehow manage to command 2 x 1sts for Tunsil? Wow. Highway robbery.

.....yeah yeah yeah, I know...”we have to draft well” etc etc
I liked Stills and Tunsil and consider them both to be better than "meh". I think they are pretty good players, but I'm also looking at it this way:

Would they help us win this year or next year? After 1 game I think we would still be 0-1 for sure if we had kept them. I also don't think they would have helped this team win more than even a game this year, which will not get us to the playoffs anyway. Similarly, I don't think they could help us win much more than a game or so next year and would both be gone soon after that if not given (especially Tunsil) big contracts.

I'll take the pair of 1's and a 2 any day, especially from the Texans, who I think are ripe to implode, especially in 2020 so those 2021 picks really have me intrigued. Yes we do have to draft well, but if you can't draft well you can't win anyway, so there's no point avoiding draft value because you have to give up a player you actually hit on. You need the confidence you can turn that known value into more via the draft, or you're not a good GM. I'm hoping Tannenbaum used his final say on picks like Carroo and Harris, which is why he got reassigned. If not, then it was Grier and we're done anyway, with or without Tunsil and Stills.

Last edited:
You can’t argue with the picks we got. Tremendous negotiating by us there. I was hoping Tunsil would be part of the rebuild but if Tua is the number one target then perhaps it makes more sense and as others have said RT’s are less sought after.

Many of us have chimed in and the general consensus is that, “hey, we liked the kid and he is good. But... the offer was just too good to pass up”.

Don’t want to put words in anyone’s mouth, but that is my impression of the average sentiment.

Let me suggest this, the true test for anyone upset with the trade is to try and reverse the scenario. Soooo.....

If Tunsil was a Texan to start with, and we are where we were, would you be ecstatic if we traded 2 x 1st round picks for him?

I would guess that if the trade upset you, then looking at it that way would reduce your anxiety. The same person that was against the trade we did would probably be the same person voicing strong opposition to trading 2 1st to get him. So ask yourself, am I complaining for a legitimate reason? Or am I just being upset because I’m negative.

The Texans price for CLOWNEY was 2 (meh) players and a 3rd round pick. But we somehow manage to command 2 x 1sts for Tunsil? Wow. Highway robbery.

You forgot the 2nd round pick as well...

It all comes down to what Miami does with the picks. First and second rounders have to be players who are in the starting lineup and contributing.

Hopefully, the team ends up with three solid starters. Obviously, the picks could be used to trade up and down as well. I would like to see Miami play it forward and continue to get additional picks each year.

The Texans have been successful despite struggling on the offensive line and with injuries at the WR2 and WR3 these past few seasons. The trade basically addressed two major areas of concern for a team that was only a few players away from being SB contenders. Why would a team like ours, that doesn't have much if any talent, trade 1st and 2nd rounders, that would be high due to us sucking, for a LT and WR2? They're two completely different scenarios. Of course you can't just reverse them, it makes no sense to.

Now, try this for a thought experiment. If you are the Jets or Bills and you've just drafted your supposed franchise QB (Darnold and Allen respectively), would you then trade the one good lineman, a talented LT with immense talent who is still young AND his #1 WR? Of course not. You are trying to ADD talent to surround your franchise QB...not subtract and make his development even worse. The only reason people are on board with this trade is because Rosen wasn't our draft pick therefore they don't value you him like they would have had he been our pick AT #11 last year.
Can you imagine if we had traded Pouncey and Hartline in 2013 for firsts? Why would you do that when you're trying to develop Tannehill and ascertain if he's the franchise QB? Well, that's exactly what Grier did. He made it impossible to determine if Rosen can be the guy because no QB could succeed with this offensive line and these receivers. People would have lost their shite if they did that back then. People in Buffalo and New York would revolt if they traded the only good lineman and established WR heading into this season.

The picks will be in the 20s. And Grier will be doing the choosing. I can't imagine being much less excited. And it's a wasted 2nd and 5th on Rosen because no chance he's going to succeed here before they draft a QB in 2020. Grier did it because it essentially buys him more years. If he didn't, we would have sucked and he'd have been gone. Now? He guarantees we suck...but by design. So he'll fool people into thinking 2020 is the beginning of his rebuild instead of the reality that it'll be year 4 with him as G.M. and he failed in the first rebuild.

The Texans have been successful despite struggling on the offensive line and with injuries at the WR2 and WR3 these past few seasons. The trade basically addressed two major areas of concern for a team that was only a few players away from being SB contenders. Why would a team like ours, that doesn't have much if any talent, trade 1st and 2nd rounders, that would be high due to us sucking, for a LT and WR2? They're two completely different scenarios. Of course you can't just reverse them, it makes no sense to.

Now, try this for a thought experiment. If you are the Jets or Bills and you've just drafted your supposed franchise QB (Darnold and Allen respectively), would you then trade the one good lineman, a talented LT with immense talent who is still young AND his #1 WR? Of course not. You are trying to ADD talent to surround your franchise QB...not subtract and make his development even worse. The only reason people are on board with this trade is because Rosen wasn't our draft pick therefore they don't value you him like they would have had he been our pick AT #11 last year.
Can you imagine if we had traded Pouncey and Hartline in 2013 for firsts? Why would you do that when you're trying to develop Tannehill and ascertain if he's the franchise QB? Well, that's exactly what Grier did. He made it impossible to determine if Rosen can be the guy because no QB could succeed with this offensive line and these receivers. People would have lost their ****e if they did that back then. People in Buffalo and New York would revolt if they traded the only good lineman and established WR heading into this season.

The picks will be in the 20s. And Grier will be doing the choosing. I can't imagine being much less excited. And it's a wasted 2nd and 5th on Rosen because no chance he's going to succeed here before they draft a QB in 2020. Grier did it because it essentially buys him more years. If he didn't, we would have sucked and he'd have been gone. Now? He guarantees we suck...but by design. So he'll fool people into thinking 2020 is the beginning of his rebuild instead of the reality that it'll be year 4 with him as G.M. and he failed in the first rebuild.

Wait... you mean, you're not drinking the kool-aid of a team that's been mediocre for two decades?

A slightly different slant on this trade.
4th and 6th equals Davenport and Bademosi in my eyes.
But how many teams would pay a 2nd rounder for Stills and his high salary?
If yes then it's 2 1st rounders for Tunsil.
If no then did we cost ourselves a slight premium [may be an extra pick?] to get Stills high salary off the books a bit like paying some of Tannehill's and Quinns salary in trades?

Grier is slick as ****. He secured the tank, filled the draft coffers, and got rid of two assets that were soon to be luxury items (Tua is left handed).
Watson exposes himself to big hits it doesn’t matter who his LT is as long as he tries to make a masterpiece out of every single play - taking horrendous shots will kill his season and hamper what would be a great career this will only help us secure good picks

Grier will look even smarter making the trade and Tunsil will be critiqued only because Watson doesnt protect himself

After giving it more thought, I have another angle to view this trade that makes me more comfortable. We'd have to re-sign Tunsil to be the highest paid LT in the league in a few years. Of those, this year we don't need him, because we're tanking and do not have our QB yet. Next year we will need him to protect our QB, but we'll still be tanking. Essentially, the rest of his "contract" would be during a time we don't need him. As soon as we need him, we'd have to pay him the highest salary of any OL in the league. Instead of that, we got 3 high draft picks. Looking at it that way … it's more palatable.

Sure, we'll need a LT to protect our rookie QB in 2020 (or RT if he's a left hander like Tua). But, we can use one of those 1sts to get a LT prospect. Even if he doesn't work out, we have someone with whom to build the OL, and by then hopefully Julie'n Davenport will have developed into a serviceable blindside protector. Maybe …. maybe not, but it's worth those draft picks to take the risk.

Seeing as we're giving Jesse Davis some cross-training at LT, he might be able to play there if we draft Tua, because it will not be his blindside. I'm feeling better and better about this trade, despite it being potentially problematic for our young QB in 2020.

To me, the litmus test will be what we do with those picks, and whether we can find a decent blindside protector for our QB allowing him to develop. Wasting Tunsil's best (and cheapest) years isn't worth losing out on those draft picks.

Bang on I believe they are tanking for Tua - they will invest as necessary - I have no tarot cards or crystal ball but the moves seem to line up that way
I also believe
They will spend like gangbusters to protect their Qb of the future

We can allocate Tunsil's future salary to 2-3 decent olineman. People forget that even with Tunsil this line was gonna be bottom of the league. We need 3-4 good lineman. And it helps the tank and gives us three premium picks? It was a no brainer. And has been mentioned, Tua is left handed. The position value would have been neutered.

With this new oline coach I dont think we have to have 9 1st rounder on that line to get a good line. I am shooting for next year to have a just below average line. 15-20th. With Tua that should be good enough until 2021 when we make a run.
Bingo

Can you imagine if we had traded Pouncey and Hartline in 2013 for firsts? Why would you do that when you're trying to develop Tannehill and ascertain if he's the franchise QB? Well, that's exactly what Grier did. He made it impossible to determine if Rosen can be the guy because no QB could succeed with this offensive line and these receivers. People would have lost their ****e if they did that back then. People in Buffalo and New York would revolt if they traded the only good lineman and established WR heading into this season.

How are we looking now?
Lol

This trade is starting to rival the JJ trade for Hershel Walker. OK, so not really but it was a woodshed event at this point.
IDK if "woodshed" was a Freudian slip for watershed, but I love it.

Daddy used to take me to the woodshed when i did something disagreable, like trade 2 first round pick and a 2nd for a LT that has issues... lol

I mean Tunsil is a hell of a player and it was a shame we couldn't keep him. We won that trade though and it isn't even close.

The dolphins unloaded an expiring contract at left tackle and Kenny stills for 2 first, 2 seconds. We secured our franchise qb and provided cap relief from having to eat the salary.

Meanwhile on the other side the Texans lost two years of picks which could have been used for cheap rookie options at positions of need. On top of that they outbid themselves so hilariously tunsils contract worth shot through the roof. They gave up a franchise qb worth of assets to get a left tackle. The only way they win the trade is if they got much better and made the super bowl. It didn't happen and now they lose another year of rebuilding pieces because of that trade.

We straight took them to school with that trade and we are much better off for it

Back
Top Bottom